Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 08:16 AM

13,944 posts, read 5,615,884 times

Advertisements

1) Grover Cleveland - Vetoed hundreds of pension expansion bills and other wasteful spending, fought against numerous tariffs, despised imperialism and prevented American colonialism in the Congo, appointed government employees by merit, reduced number of government employees

2) Calvin Coolidge - reduced national debt, almost no inflation despite existence of Fed, resisted federal crop pricing, despised and minimized regulation, massively decreased income taxes

3) Warren G Harding - ended severe depression of 1920–1921 by cutting spending and taxes, and refusing to intervene in private economy

Everyone else is some degree of below average to awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 01:05 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Agree with this, JFK was an awful President and actually not even the rightful President as the Chicago mob stole the election from Nixon. He was just died horribly early in his Presidency. He actually cheated on his wife openly as President, and had sex with Marilyn Monroe at the Beverly Hills Hilton Hotel pool.
He was a US Navy sailor, known for drinking like one as well. I would know as a Navy veteran myself.

Old 04-02-2024, 01:15 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
5.) Andrew Sheppard
4.) Thomas Whitmore
3.) James Marshall
2.) David Palmer
1.) Josiah Barlett

Old 04-02-2024, 02:09 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
1. George Washington - Founder of the free world, Americas leader and General
2. Abraham Lincoln - Republican who kicked Dems behinds, kept the nation together and stopped slavery.
3. Donald Trump - Gods anointed one, best economy in American history, put here to root out the demonic evil that has taken over the country and direct us back into the right direction.
4. Thomas Jefferson - Co-founder and visionary for the country, expanded the territory by 1/3, set the roots to end slavery at Americas founding, put this nation under God.
5. Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt - outdoorsman that gave us the national park, great foreign policy "speak softly with a big stick", a really cool that you would want to hang out with.
Mine is similar but not identical:

1. George Washington - Founder of the free world, Americas leader and General
2. Abraham Lincoln - Republican saved the Union.
3. Ronald Reagan. Created great economy, and brought down the USSR/ended Cold War without having any shots fired.
4. Harry Truman - Ended WW II courageously and minimized loss of American and Japanese life. Started giving blacks civil rights with his gutsy integration of the Army and desegregating Army housing. Recognized State of Israel.
5. Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt - outdoorsman that gave us the national park, great foreign policy "speak softly with a big stick", a really cool that you would want to hang out with.

Biden is a close sixth, for sheer eloquence, competence, coherence and leadership capacities, as well as athleticism.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:11 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
4 - Franklin D. Roosevelt - New Deal, infrastructure, WW2 leadership
Maybe for fourth worst.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:16 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't say nice guys. I said people of good character.

And yes, they too can be lousy at their jobs but now we only get people of questionable character who are also lousy at their jobs. At least good character would mean SOMETHING.
William Jefferson Clinton probably had the lowest character of any president since LBJ, and maybe well before LBJ. But as someone who despised him, I can say he did a decent job. Far better than any Democrat in my lifetime. And probably better than any Democrat in my parent's lifetimes, maybe even my grandparent's lifetimes. Maybe Truman was as good, but then you have to go all the way back to Grover Cleveland.

Old 04-03-2024, 03:46 AM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
1) Grover Cleveland - Vetoed hundreds of pension expansion bills and other wasteful spending, fought against numerous tariffs, despised imperialism and prevented American colonialism in the Congo, appointed government employees by merit, reduced number of government employees

2) Calvin Coolidge - reduced national debt, almost no inflation despite existence of Fed, resisted federal crop pricing, despised and minimized regulation, massively decreased income taxes

3) Warren G Harding - ended severe depression of 1920–1921 by cutting spending and taxes, and refusing to intervene in private economy

Everyone else is some degree of below average to awful.
What criteria are you using to say everyone else is below average?

I don't see how anyone can make the argument that George Washington wasn't one of the best presidents we've ever had, he fought in the Revolutionary War to protect our independence and was considered a great leader.

All of our founding fathers cared deeply for the success of this country, so they too deserve appreciation.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:52 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
1) Abraham Lincoln...Saved the Union, ended Slavery
2) George Washington...founding father, only blemish is allowing Slavery to continue after the founding of the nation
3) FDR...saved us from the Great Depression and led us into WW2
4) Thomas Jefferson...led the greatest expansion in our nations history...LA Purchase
5) Teddy Roosevelt...true outdoorsmen, National Parks...busted up Standard Oil and other monopolies.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:38 AM

13,944 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
What criteria are you using to say everyone else is below average?
Decrease of government size, cost and/or power; increase in individual liberty and sovereignty.

According to the letter and spirit of the Federalist Papers, the AntiFederalist Papers (replies), the Declaration of Independence, the writings/speeches of the Virginia Anti-constitutionalists, and all the writings of the Scottish Enlightenment that Jefferson, Madison et al lifted most of the framework from, there is no other way to rate any elected official in the US, imho.
Quote:
I don't see how anyone can make the argument that George Washington wasn't one of the best presidents we've ever had, he fought in the Revolutionary War to protect our independence and was considered a great leader.
The Whiskey Rebellion is the only argument needed. How the fed.gov began creating new taxation without representation schemes, and as a bonus, started collecting taxes literally at gunpoint. And all that less than 6 years from ratifying the Constitution.

Also, Washington's performance in the American Revolution was prior to being president. The United States didn't officially exist under the current framework until 9 years after Cornwallis had his aide surrender his sword. What one does prior to becoming the Sociopath In Chief is irrelevant to what they do once they are handed the whip with which they oppress the populace.
Quote:
All of our founding fathers cared deeply for the success of this country, so they too deserve appreciation.
Right up to 1791, sure, maybe. After that, they started the grift that we see today. And I only recognize those who chose to reduce the size/cost/power of government and/or increase individual liberty. Everyone else is just somewhere between below average and awful.

And make no mistake, I do not consider my top three to be specifically benevolent or great, as I think all elected politicians to be sociopaths who seek to oppress. I just find those three the least sociopathic and tyrannical of the others because they actually reduced size/cost/power of government and/or increased individual liberty while holding their monopoly on force & violence.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:42 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,069,703 times
Choosing the top 5 best Presidents is tough, but if I had to pick, I'd go with Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt, George Washington, Theodore Roosevelt, and Thomas Jefferson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies