Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
So its ok to have older children waiting for adoption for the rest of their lives? If someone wants to be a parent then they should take all ages into consideration and not complain that all the abortions people are having are taking away the precious baby pool. That is sick and ridiculous!

This also applies to people who over look dogs because they want puppies. I absolutly hate it.
Allow me to clear up a few misconceptions you have about adoption.
First, children are not puppies.
Secondly, adopting a child is not at all like going down to the humane society and looking at all the children in their cages.

Adoption is a long process and a thorough one, and as it should be. A person who is adopting should stick to their comfort zone, because you see .... a child is not a dog that can (or should) be considered returnable. Also, if a dog doesn't work out, say it barks too much or chews the furniture there are ways to retrain bad behavior. How do you retrain a child exhibiting sociopathic behavior? A child who lacks empathy because none was shown to her/him? A child who perpetrates sexual abuse on other children in the home because that is what was his/her 'norm' in their prior homes. Can they be saved? Can they be 'retrained'? Possibly, but not probably and not without a lot of work and dedication. And certainly not with other children in the home. That is the crapshoot adopting from foster care gives adoptive parents. That and giving a child back to abusive biological parents because they finally took a parenting class, or an anger management class or completed an addiction program My heart couldn't handle the potential for more loss, nor could I justify exposing my other children to potential danger.
And lastly, nobody should ever adopt to make a political statement (I'm prolife so I adopted or I'm a liberal democrat so I adopted transracially). Adoption is only for those who want to expand their families.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:33 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
So what are you saying here?

Liberals and Democrats don't care about children before they're born?

or

Neocons and Republicans don't care about children after they're born?

That's a pretty sweeping statement you made.

All I was saying is, if you want others to "keep your laws off my body and out of my bedroom" then you can't have it both ways.

Either govt. tells us how to live or it doesn't.

If you don't want others telling you that you must give birth to the child you've conceived, then you can't complain when government steps back and lets people raise their children freely as they see fit. Or when people eat trans fats or too many Burger King burgers. Or smoke too much. Or spank their kids.

Here's a sweeping statement.....bbkaren, "Seems to me that liberals want the freedom to kill their babies, regardless of the developmental stage."""

Yes, conservative/republicans HATE any social programs that take care of children...they want the parents punished for being poor and hence, punish the children.

bbkaren, """
Either govt. tells us how to live or it doesn't.

If you don't want others telling you that you must give birth to the child you've conceived, then you can't complain when government steps back and lets people raise their children freely as they see fit. Or when people eat trans fats or too many Burger King burgers. Or smoke too much. Or spank their kids""""

Ridiculous argument, the issues you mentioned are not comparable to each other or to abortion. Laws are not either or....you're saying we should eiither have laws or not have any laws...that's stupid.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
But they do not HAVE to have an abortion. That is the point. They can have the baby and give it up for adoption. That way NO ONE dies.
Who made you god? Who are you to decide what any person chooses to do with their body?

If I ever got pregnant, I'd rip it out of my body as fast as I could.
I've been sterilized so hopefully that won't happen.

You are not required to do anything with your body that you don't choose to do, why would you insist that someone else do with their body what you want them to do?

Most people give more thought to getting a puppy than breeding.

And yes, breeding is an appropriate term:

breed - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry: 1breed
Pronunciation: \ˈbrēd\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): bred \ˈbred\; breed·ing
Etymology: Middle English breden, from Old English brēdan; akin to Old English brōd brood
Date: before 12th century
transitive verb
1: to produce (offspring) by hatching or gestation
2 a: beget 1 b: produce, engender <despair often breeds violence>
3: to propagate (plants or animals) sexually and usually under controlled conditions <bred several strains of corn together to produce a superior variety>
4 a: bring up, nurture <born and bred in the country> b: to inculcate by training <breed good manners into one's children>
5 a: 4mate 3 b: to mate with : inseminate c: impregnate 2
6: to produce (a fissionable element) by bombarding a nonfissionable element with neutrons from a radioactive element
intransitive verb
1 a: to produce offspring by sexual union b: copulate, mate
2: to propagate animals or plants

Old 06-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Another point about reproductive rights: Why do most doctors refuse to sterilize women who haven't had children? Are under a certain age? etc.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Another point about reproductive rights: Why do most doctors refuse to sterilize women who haven't had children? Are under a certain age? etc.
Perhaps to prevent regret?

Old 06-26-2008, 03:46 PM

What about people who regret having kids? What can they do then? Perhaps that's a reason why people abuse their kids?

If you're old enough to breed, you're old enough to know your mind about not wanting to breed.
Do we really need paternal clap-trap in our lives? Whose agenda is it then?

Women are not simply breeding machines. Try reading The Handmaid's Tale for a glimpse into an ugly future of religion and breeding.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What about people who regret having kids? What can they do then? Perhaps that's a reason why people abuse their kids?

If you're old enough to breed, you're old enough to know your mind about not wanting to breed.
Do we really need paternal clap-trap in our lives? Whose agenda is it then?

Women are not simply breeding machines. Try reading The Handmaid's Tale for a glimpse into an ugly future of religion and breeding.
Sorry, I was going to post more...

I think they are hesitant not because they (drs) don't trust women to be able to make a sound and long term decision, but because part of the human condition is the ability to change over time. I am not the same person I was when I was in my teens, twenties or even early thirties. Experiences and just plain age can change peoples views on many issues. The desire to have children is not always absolute. Most women will either definatly want them or feel ambivalant about it. Very very few know from the outset they don't want children and never waver from that decision. And unlike a vasectomy, a tubal ligation is a lot harder if not impossible to reverse. So, drs do have to put the potential for serious regret out there to women who wish to become sterilized at young ages.
In this case, it is less The Handmaids Tale and more....hmmm, what is the literary equivalent of covering their asses?

Old 06-26-2008, 04:12 PM

I think having a child you don't want is a greater problem than sterilizing someone.

There were many steps I had to go through, I've never regretted a day of being childfree.

For me, it boils down to viewing women as being stupid, not knowing their own minds, and needing to be "taken care of" from errors they might make.

They don't treat men the same, as you stated. Vasectomies are not always reversible; you don't need a consent form signed by your wife for a vasectomy.

It's the ultimate in double standards.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:39 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Folks, we are getting a little personal and quite a bit off topic here. Just a reminder that the topic is...

As if abortion wasn't disgusting enough...
I don't find abortion disgusting as long as it's done in a proper sanitary medical facility. What's tragic is someone having to resort to the use of coat hangers or the ilk in order to induce an abortion. But properly done, it's just a minor surgery. Most surgeries to the layman are gross and disgusting looking. And one of the most gross looking procedures imo is watching footage of people undergoing liposuction.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Allow me to clear up a few misconceptions you have about adoption.
First, children are not puppies.
Secondly, adopting a child is not at all like going down to the humane society and looking at all the children in their cages.

Adoption is a long process and a thorough one, and as it should be. A person who is adopting should stick to their comfort zone, because you see .... a child is not a dog that can (or should) be considered returnable. Also, if a dog doesn't work out, say it barks too much or chews the furniture there are ways to retrain bad behavior. How do you retrain a child exhibiting sociopathic behavior? A child who lacks empathy because none was shown to her/him? A child who perpetrates sexual abuse on other children in the home because that is what was his/her 'norm' in their prior homes. Can they be saved? Can they be 'retrained'? Possibly, but not probably and not without a lot of work and dedication. And certainly not with other children in the home. That is the crapshoot adopting from foster care gives adoptive parents. That and giving a child back to abusive biological parents because they finally took a parenting class, or an anger management class or completed an addiction program My heart couldn't handle the potential for more loss, nor could I justify exposing my other children to potential danger.
And lastly, nobody should ever adopt to make a political statement (I'm prolife so I adopted or I'm a liberal democrat so I adopted transracially). Adoption is only for those who want to expand their families.
Camping, I just have to say that your responses are always clear, intelligent, infinitely patient and kind. They are a pleasure to read on any thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies