Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 05:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

Here's the problem, last night I heard Charles Krauthammer call himself an effete elitist (well, I'm sure about the effete part) and I have to agree with him and I'm a conservative. It's not so much a conservative/liberal issue but it's being forced to view the world from the snotty snobby perspective of the national news' urban cocooned media and the NYC/LA entertainment comedians that think they're in the news business.

When the national news media manage to leave DC/NYC/LA, they stay in big cities and drag their DC/NYC posses with them instead of getting out of the big cities and talking to regular folks in the suburbs and rural America. They're such snobs with such disdain for anyone's opinion outside of big cities that they don't even talk to local newspaper editors and local TV news types in small towns and suburbia to get a feel for what everybody outside of big cities is thinking. Instead, they rather go to their demographic data or look for a Congressman than talk to one of us.

Can you blame big city people for not realizing there's another world outside of their cities when they are fed the same urban perspective on everything night in and night out on the national news or day in and day out in their newspapers?

The national news media thinks we're too stupid to notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 06:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
JerseyG - LMO with your country music quote. Talk about a vintage whine. I just bought a CD of Les Ford and Chester Atkins guitar music. Stunningly good country/jazz recording. Johnny Cash was one of the greatest music artists ever.

Now NASCAR. AFIC most NASCAR races serve as background noise for a pleasant afternoon nap. I simply cannot stay awake waiting for the big wreak at Talladega. I agree that the racing takes skill and courage. I am a racing fan but prefer to watch road course sport cars or F-1. If you want courage watch world class motorcycle racing.

TL70 wonders why he can’t get any respect. Maybe he doesn’t proof read is own stuff. The man is a world class whiner. Just like so many in the south.

BTW – I am an elitist from the northeast. I have always been an elitist. Even when I was growing up in an alcoholic household in rural upstate New York I was an elitist. I am now an elitist Yankee living in New Hampshire. I feel that my culture is inherently superior to any other in the US and the world. See. I can write the same kind of drivel that TL70 uses to entertains us.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,981,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Daily Bruin - Hating country music is elitist, misguided

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast
Did you know that the longest running rodeo east of the Mississippi (54 years and counting) is in New Jersey? Cowtown Rodeo How about the fact that we have our own Grand 'Ol Opry smack in the middle of the Pine Barrens-yes, I know, you have no idea where the Pine Barrens are: Albert Music Hall Home Page Now bluegrass-THAT is real music.

Quote:
Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood)
"Blasting" music while driving through a residential area is rude. I live in the "country" (in a "blue state") and if someone sat outside my house blasting ANY kind of music I'd probably pitch a few rocks at them.

Quote:
and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.
Once you learn how to run a backhoe or pull a hay baler you go and get yourself one. Until then just be a poser like all of the other yuppie suburbanite Deere fanatics.

Quote:
ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift.
Kellie Pickler and Taylor Swift!? Are you kidding me? If I heard you blasting that music in a parking lot I'd drag you out of your car and beat you myself! Congratulations for being the biggest fan of two idiots who are RUINING country music! Get yourself some Cross Canadian Ragweed, some Drive By Truckers, and a David Allen Coe CD or two and get back to us.

Oh and one more thing-I prefer NHRA drag racing to NASCAR, but that's probably because one of the most famous drag strips in the country (Englishtown) is located in my home state: NEW JERSEY!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 AM

35 posts, read 103,749 times
Quote:

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast and West Coast. I've noticed some of this here in the DC area and its a lot worse in NY, Boston, and California. Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood) and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.

ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
It'd take forever to read the ten billion follow up posts to this, so I'm just going to post my response. It isn't that I don't want to read other peoples thoughts, it's more about how those people thoughts would read me. After reading your post, I have something I want to say, and 17 pages of posts I'd surely cycle through atleast 17 different opinions, so here we go:

For starters, Boston, NY(city), DC and a lot of California are pretty expensive places to live. I'm probably properly assuming Manhattan and San fran or Diego. Where there's money, there's that "elitist" attitude that you refer to. As far as living in the country goes, if you blast anything, that is just trash. Not anti establishment. Trash. Respect your ears, more importantly, respect other peoples ears, no matter if there's only 5 people in the area. If people can hear your music outside of your car, you're the elitist! Makes you feel powerful and in control, right? If not that, why have it so loud?

Sorry, but coming into peoples homes and lives with sound is the very definition of anti establishment. I call the cops on people like you because it discourages normal people to come and settle down and cause the town to grow.

Furthermore, your topic is riddled with hate and racisim. There are people trying to raise families and you harrass them because they're yuppies (is it the hair, the clothing, the activity that one defines a yuppie neighorhood?) Further more, rich people work just as hard as you do, only currently, they make more money and aren't taxed as much as you are.

Obama is an elitist? What is your definition of such? Correct me if I'm wrong, you're the guy who blasts music in peoples ears and harasses them based off what their houses look like and you are qualified to throw political definitions around because WHY? again?
Furthermore, I pray to god he represents the "coastal America" as opposed to you! Your wreckless, and ill thought accusations are appauling. I'd take another term of Bush-Cheny over your skewed view of politics.

Wake up, smell the roses, the eggs, the poop, whatever appeals to you the most. Most importantly, grow up.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjs4786 View Post
If people can hear your music outside of your car, you're the elitist! Makes you feel powerful and in control, right? If not that, why have it so loud?
Not to mention the fact that the only two country "artists" (I am using that term VERY loosely) are focus grouped pieces of crap who are part of the NASHVILLE establishment. Seriously, Nashville has turned it's back on REAL country in favor of poppy garbage that pollutes the airwaves. Unless you have satellite radio (Sirius Outlaw Country is my favorite station) or simply buy good music all you're going to hear is crappy ESTABLISHMENT country.

LONG LIVE THE POSSUM!!! TL70 undoubtedly has no clue who that is...

EDIT: I guess Tom doesn't get up as early as I do-I'm waiting for a response.

Last edited by Badfish740; 10-03-2008 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-03-2008, 07:23 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,377,605 times
Quote:

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast and West Coast. I've noticed some of this here in the DC area and its a lot worse in NY, Boston, and California. Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood) and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.

ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
If you do that low class b.s. in my community the cops will arrest you and/or run you out of town. Your kind is rarely welcome anywhere.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 AM

35 posts, read 103,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Not to mention the fact that the only two country "artists" (I am using that term VERY loosely) are focus grouped pieces of crap who are part of the NASHVILLE establishment.
Sure, but realize that it could be Mozart or Bach or any sort of musical art, that can be turned into a distraction for the community. It's not about the music that's played, be it good or bad, it's about imposing your preferences upon other people that's wrong. However, if I was to ever here Fur Elise by Beethoven blasted I can't say I wouldn't enjoy it! However, my neighbor may be on the third shift trying to be go to sleep. Or a baby, or a toddler attempting a nap.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjs4786 View Post
Sure, but realize that it could be Mozart or Bach or any sort of musical art, that can be turned into a distraction for the community. It's not about the music that's played, be it good or bad, it's about imposing your preferences upon other people that's wrong. However, if I was to ever here Fur Elise by Beethoven blasted I can't say I wouldn't enjoy it! However, my neighbor may be on the third shift trying to be go to sleep. Or a baby, or a toddler attempting a nap.
Oh trust me, I realize that. I just felt it necessary to point out what extremely poor choices those were.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
I think that nascar and country music are signs of bad taste.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I think that nascar and country music are signs of bad taste.
This country music and racing loving Northeastern liberal thinks you're trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies