Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:38 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times

Advertisements

I agree with Reads 100%. Children should be taught survival not how to kill for the fun of it. As you say Reads, if a child went missing he wouldn't have a gun. He or she would be useless as they are not taught how to cope or survive. Being taught the dangers of the 21st Century is far more useful than learning how to sneek up on an Animal and shoot it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Oh PLEASE Greatday. Your hunting licence isn't going to save the planet. Get real

Old 08-08-2008, 04:39 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Fishing and Hunting are popular activities in the United States. Teaching young people how to hunt and fish at young age does not "destroy" them as the OP would have you believe.

My children hunt and fish. My oldest got his first deer at the age of 9. Today, my sons are grown very fine men - with children of their own. And now we, as a family, go hunting and fishing frequently -

Hunters and fishermen are stewards of the lands - they actually are very important in the conservation movement.

IMO, the OP is opposed to guns in general - hence his opposition to hunting.
I have nothing against hunting, but I can't even call what today's "hunters" do hunting really. There is very little skill involved, virtually no tracking skills used, just sit in a tree and wait for the ferocious deer to come up for a bite. Blow him away with your giant rifle then brag to friends about your victorious kill. That is not hunting. You want to hunt sometime come out with me and my friends with your bow in hand. Then you will be hunting.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
A FBI profiler said that when you look for multi killers you should look into their history and you will find that they started by first killing animals.
Oh - so now you want to take the FBI report totally OUT OF CONTEXT 'eh? How very disingenious of you.

For the report you note had to do mainly with PETS - drowning cats, beating a dog to death, twisting off their necks -

Old 08-08-2008, 04:42 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
It's called gun safety geeoro, in Texas a minor has to take a gun hunting safety course before they can go hunting. I dought you will find many that learned to hunt as childern that grew up to be mass murders. They are taught to respect guns and life.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Not sneaking up on a deer then? Or many other animals. Oh that's ok then, the killing part shouldn't affect the young child.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:47 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
You're right. Better they be taught to kill hippies!
Hippies? What century were you born in? [oh never mind, I see you are from Texas

Old 08-08-2008, 04:48 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,605,428 times
Are all of you vegetarians? Iif so, well, I guess you're at least not hypocrits. Most people are indirectly involved in inhumane manner and killing of animals. HAve you seen modern farming? I can't see a better way for an animal to live than to be in nature. Being killed by a gun is hardly the worst action we take part in the animal world today. I agree that hunting increases an appreciation for the land, nature, the life cycle, etc...
The small family farms that many progressives idealize (including myself) are based on the idea of a human taking part in the cycle of animal life and putting down the animal to "harvest" its meat.
Many hunters would be the most devout environentalists you'll ever meet.
Hunting a deer with a gun is not the same as torturing a puppy and progressing to mass murder or something. This is a huge fallacy.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Geeoro, it is quite clear you started this thread as a means to personally attack another poster because you disagreed with them. Disagreements are fine - they are actually normal. But, you have gone far beyond that.

Just an FYI: I'm going to PM the Moderators and ask them to not only close this thread but to also remove it -

Old 08-08-2008, 04:50 PM

Maybe i'm reading the wrong newspapers or seeing false news reports about the high gun crime in the USA. Putting that to one side. Please could you explain why a young child should be taught to shoot animals. It's not for food or survival. I thought the days of Grizzly Adams had gone. Is it a "Macho" thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies