Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:16 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,605,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
When i was in the Army i was taught survival techniques, how to build shelter hunt food etc. It is not the norm in the UK to teach young children to kill animals. One of the things i also learned was you kill to survive. This thread has been interesting in as far as it does show a deep passion in the USA for hunting.
It is not only about survival. I personally don't think its about using a firearm for personal safety as well. That is sort of a different line of thinking with complelety different argument.
I do think it brings you closer to nature and closer to what you eat. I suppose its about survival in that we all eat to survive, and should understand what we eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
It is not only about survival. I personally don't think its about using a firearm for personal safety as well. That is sort of a different line of thinking with complelety different argument.
I do think it brings you closer to nature and closer to what you eat. I suppose its about survival in that we all eat to survive, and should understand what we eat.
Well said indeed. You eat what you kill. You learn that meat was once a live animal. You see its beauty, you feel the effort in labor to harvest the kill. You meet nature face to face and you learn to appreciate its many gifts.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well said indeed. You eat what you kill. You learn that meat was once a live animal. You see its beauty, you feel the effort in labor to harvest the kill. You meet nature face to face and you learn to appreciate its many gifts.
I actually think personal exploration of your dinner plate is one of those rare instances where both sides of the political aisle have an opportunity to come together. I think when it comes to decrying a lack of "values" and such in the US, few things teach a child life values more than understanding what s/he really consumes. I see hunting as similar to urban kids' field trips to the farm, or visiting a brewery (or brewing your own beer). It connects us to the outside world and teaches us what we can't learn from TV and books.
Forgive me, my weepy hippiness is coming out.
Let's all hold hands!
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya!
Ehem. Just kiddin. What's up bro?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
One more thing. The effort. Humans are inherently lazy. You never appreciate something so much as when you've put a personal effort into DIRECTLY obtaining in. Understanding effort is critical.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:49 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Hmmmm 232 years ago didn't we proclaim our independence from the UK? We fought a war as well. WE are not their colony anymore.
Though if they are looking for another fight, maybe we need to send them back again licking their wounds? *chuckle*

Old 08-08-2008, 06:59 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
I am a woman who was raised in a family who would hunt deer, turkey, goose, pheasant, dove, and duck. As an adult I have been fly fishing and fox hunting. If you can believe it or not, I have NEVER killed my neighbors pets( even when they wake me up at 5am!!) and I never developed an urge to pull butterflys wings off!

Do these things make me terrible? No, because we have the RIGHT to hunt in the United States.

We have very close friends who take their boys hunting every Thanksgiving morning...it is tradition. And once again, none of them are terrorizing animals and young children.

I have a feeling there are bigger things to worry about than how others spend their free time.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:15 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,133 times
Quote:
I have recently been involved in a thread about a young 10 year old being taught how to Bullfight. This led onto a discussion about children of 7 being taken hunting and killing deer by the age of 9. In the 21st Century can anyone give me a good reason why young Children should be taught and applauded for killing Animals.
Give me a good reason they shouldnt. If you eat meat, wear leather or fur or use anything made from animals then IMO you should not think you are different than those who kill their own food or clothes, because you likely kill more animals than a hunter will in a lifetime just going thru your humane day.

Now a good reason to teach a boy to hunt, shoot & fish, theres a million if theres one. Its a great gift to enjoy nature at a more primal level, hunting brings great apreciation for the things most take for granted, not the least of these is life. The 21st century has nothing to do with it. It is who & what we are. My kids been seeing dead animals turned into food since before they could walk. They have come hunting with me & hopefully my 12 year old will get a bear in a couple weeks. If it were legal he coulda started at 7, he was already an acomplished shooter by then.
Theres no doubt that they have more respect for the world they live in than others their age who think cows are pets & hamburger comes from a box. We watch the geese & ducks his friends throw stones at. We feed the birds they want us to shoot. A better question would be why deprive a kid of his or her place in nature. Why bring them up making believe that death is not part of life?
Theres alot to be said about the camaraderie & memories of time spent together too.
That 12 year old came deer hunting last year with me. We saw not a single deer but will treasure those 5 days alone in the woods forever.

You cant understand it if you dont do it, but you are definately missing something important.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
99% of the time, those who oppose children learning how to shoot were never taught when they were young. I was shooting by the time I was 6, didn't get my first deer until 10 or 11 though.

If you're going to be a vegetarian that is fine with me, but please don't force it onto the rest of us. We don't need yet another way the government can interfere with how we raise our children.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Give me a good reason they shouldnt. If you eat meat, wear leather or fur or use anything made from animals then IMO you should not think you are different than those who kill their own food or clothes, because you likely kill more animals than a hunter will in a lifetime just going thru your humane day.

Now a good reason to teach a boy to hunt, shoot & fish, theres a million if theres one. Its a great gift to enjoy nature at a more primal level, hunting brings great apreciation for the things most take for granted, not the least of these is life. The 21st century has nothing to do with it. It is who & what we are. My kids been seeing dead animals turned into food since before they could walk. They have come hunting with me & hopefully my 12 year old will get a bear in a couple weeks. If it were legal he coulda started at 7, he was already an acomplished shooter by then.
Theres no doubt that they have more respect for the world they live in than others their age who think cows are pets & hamburger comes from a box. We watch the geese & ducks his friends throw stones at. We feed the birds they want us to shoot. A better question would be why deprive a kid of his or her place in nature. Why bring them up making believe that death is not part of life?
Theres alot to be said about the camaraderie & memories of time spent together too.
That 12 year old came deer hunting last year with me. We saw not a single deer but will treasure those 5 days alone in the woods forever.

You cant understand it if you dont do it, but you are definately missing something important.
Wonderful picture. The boys smile says it all. You are blessed...

Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Quote:
I have recently been involved in a thread about a young 10 year old being taught how to Bullfight. This led onto a discussion about children of 7 being taken hunting and killing deer by the age of 9. In the 21st Century can anyone give me a good reason why young Children should be taught and applauded for killing Animals.
I hunt and fish, and I'm going to teach my kids the same. My father taught me when young. What's the problem? What does 21st century have to do with this? It's legal, it's managed and monitored. I don't kill for killings sake, we do eat what we kill. So you buy meat from a store - an animal still died to give you that meat. Out of sight out of mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies