Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times

Advertisements

I started this thread because our discussion was not anything to do with the thread that we were debating this issue on. I have put an open question on here and if you feel it is a personal attack, i cannot see why. I asked the simple question " Should young children be taught to shoot animals" as i am interested to see other posters views and maybe learn why this is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
"Stewards of the Land" You mean your family are employed to keep the animal population down? Some "well adjusted" people start by killing animals and then move on to humans. A FBI profiler said that when you look for multi killers you should look into their history and you will find that they started by first killing animals. I'm sure your children Greatday are well adjusted but there are some who are not. How do you tell the difference when teaching them as children how to kill?
No the FBI said you look at children who liked to torture and kill small animals. Example the family pet, the neighbors pet, frogs, mice etc.
Nothing was said about children who were taught to hunt. The FBI also included that most serial killers were also bed wetters. The FBI also said that these were anti-social children who often came from broken homes.
Lets get the quotes right.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Hunting and Fishing are part of our heritage

Hunting and Fishing can be good for the lands

Hunting and Fishing are basic survivial skills

The issue of teaching a young person, male or female, to hunt and/or fish at a young age is the dispute - the OP says that parents who do are bad parents - I disagree.

Leave the parenting up to the parents - and keep YOUR nose out of it.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:02 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I have recently been involved in a thread about a young 10 year old being taught how to Bullfight. This led onto a discussion about children of 7 being taken hunting and killing deer by the age of 9. In the 21st Century can anyone give me a good reason why young Children should be taught and applauded for killing Animals.
I learned several things hunting at a young age.

I learned about the beauty of nature.
I learned about responsiblity of my actions.
I learned about proper safety and responsibility of my actions.
I learned about respect for life.
I learned about respect for people and animals.
I learned about consideration for people and life.
I learned about the respect for my environment.
I learned about moderation and the abuse of excess.

I learned quite a bit of things from my hunting experiences as a child.

Can we say that of the average teenager of today?

Hmm, seems like more need to be taken on a hunting trip. Maybe even their parents as well.

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I have nothing against hunting, but I can't even call what today's "hunters" do hunting really. There is very little skill involved, virtually no tracking skills used, just sit in a tree and wait for the ferocious deer to come up for a bite. Blow him away with your giant rifle then brag to friends about your victorious kill. That is not hunting. You want to hunt sometime come out with me and my friends with your bow in hand. Then you will be hunting.
I will be the first to admit that some hunters use blinds and tree stands. Many do not. Most hunter need to know how to track an animal especially bow hunters. I think you generalize to much.

658 posts, read 831,606 times
Yes, a boy should be taught how to defend him family and to hunt if times get tough. It's part of preparedness, not macho.

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
No it's not a "macho" thing and it's also against game laws to kill deer in Texas if you aren't going to use them for food. Same goes for game fish.

Find me story where a kid that learned to hunt at ten grew up to be a mass murderer.

I know some and they grew up to be police officers not mass murderers.

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
nothing was said about children who were taught to hunt. The FBI also included that most serial killers were also bed wetters. The FBI also said that these were anti-social children who often came from broken homes.Lets get the quotes right.
The poster has shown a propensity to disregarding of the facts or truth.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:05 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
I'm sure most hunters have no problems. Since buying my house in Houston i have met a few people who like to hunt and they are as normal as anyone. I just can't understand why children are taught to kill at such early ages. Maybe it's because we don't kill animals in the UK for sport. What is the fascination of shooting animals . It can't be sport as there isn't any real competition?

Old 08-08-2008, 05:07 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,605,428 times
Look, I was a child of the suburbs in a major liberal metropolitan area from a liberal family with liberal friends. On most issues I'm EXTREMELY leftist. I even have a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to the pro gun-rights NRA and such. However, killing pets is not the same as hunting. Hunting is an experience, like backpacking and a number of other outdoor activities which allow you to appreciate nature, not want to destroy it. It is actually the anti-hunting ideas you have seen on TV (from people have never hunted in their lives) which form your opinions. It is not just macho-ness. I suppose self-reliance and macho-ness may be involved, but the is not the sum total. It is a total experience which immerses you in nature and the web of life. It teaches you about life, death, even how animals survive and feel. Its not like people just shoot a deer in the knee and laugh at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies