Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I live in the U.S, have visited Scotland and don't personally attack it. In fact, at one time I considered moving there. Anyway, as you mentioned in one of your previous posts, I hope you can now see why some people might like to carry a sidearm in the U.S.
Where in Scotland does she live? I'm happy that I have 2 homes. Colorado looks like an awesome state. Especially the Grand Junction area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 AM

558 posts, read 819,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Where in Scotland does she live? I'm happy that I have 2 homes. Colorado looks like an awesome state. Especially the Grand Junction area.
Tragically, no beautiful women were waiting for me, though many Scottish women are indeed beautiful. I just thought northern Scotland seemed like a very peaceful place to live. I liked most of the people I met. When I visited, I took the hydrofoil from Belfast to Stranraer, then spent some time in Stirling, Edinburgh, Inverness and a few small towns. I hiked for a few days and spent most of my time camping when I wasn’t in Edinburgh or Stirling.

I always thought Colorado was nice, but it's a little too blue for my taste...and if I'm not mistaken, Denver was like the child kidnapping capital of the U.S. for a while...freaky. Very pretty place though.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
You look far too deep into things also.
You're right. Heaven forbid we have an intelligent debate in these forums. It should all be mindless bashing of one thing or another - that's all that so many people here seem to be capable of, so we should use the "lowest common denominator" approach to satisfy the masses - just like the nightly news. I'm so glad you're here to point it out.

Quote:
Matter for fact, i ... never personally attack or judge the US.
Really?

Quote:
I could expect nothing less from ignorant Americans that know absolutely nothing about Scottish culture and Scotland itself which is most peoples motherland over there.
Gosh, you did it right in the same post!

You claim that we're ignorant of what life is like in Scotland. Well, my friend, based on your posts in this thread, I know you're ignorant of what life is like in the U.S. You could have lived your entire life here for all I care, but your perception of the U.S. and it's law-abiding citizens is completely off the mark. Reality and what you've been writing are two completely different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
]Well you don't have to use nukes, there's plenty of other technology to use that would over power armed citizens....look at what Sadam had Chemical Ali do against the Kurds (and that's not even hi-tech either)....that's besides the point though, as I pointed out, it doesn't really work today.....for a lot of reasons that all have to do with the size of the country today (population)....it does really apply any more....we're not a few million....no tyrant is going rise up with his own army and start ruling.
You just don't "get it", and I seriously doubt you ever will. Have a nice day, and a nice life. I'm sure you will - ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I just don't see why any private individual would need high powered rifles living in the burbs or city.
What you're missing is that it's not a question of "need". It never has been and it never will be. A private individual has a right to own a high powered rifle, just as they have a right to choose their religion, speak their mind or be tried by a jury of their peers. It's not hard to understand - you need only accept it. I'll say it again, in bold this time, just in case you need the visual stimulation: It is not a question of "need". It is a RIGHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I also found it comforting at times when I'd have to drive cross country on my own which was usually LA to Florida, East Coast or Texas.
Did you transport that weapon legally? How comforting was it knowing that your gun was there, unloaded and locked in the trunk, while your ammo was locked in the glove compartment?

If you were following the law in California, your gun was inaccessable to you. Not very comforting. If you were breaking the law and the gun was available to you, then you obviously recognize the idiocy of some of the laws on the books today.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
Tragically, no beautiful women were waiting for me, though many Scottish women are indeed beautiful. I just thought northern Scotland seemed like a very peaceful place to live. I liked most of the people I met. When I visited, I took the hydrofoil from Belfast to Stranraer, then spent some time in Stirling, Edinburgh, Inverness and a few small towns. I hiked for a few days and spent most of my time camping when I wasn’t in Edinburgh or Stirling.

I always thought Colorado was nice, but it's a little too blue for my taste...and if I'm not mistaken, Denver was like the child kidnapping capital of the U.S. for a while...freaky. Very pretty place though.
Aww, such a shame. Ah well you may have more luck with women next time

I have family that live in a small village called Muir of Ord near Inverness and family in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, Edinburgh city centre. Majority of them stay in the lowlands, near the Glasgow area.

I also have family in Italy too.

I guess im used to this part of Scotland. I'm not far from Glasgow airport, nice area, pretty quiet but central for everything.

Colorado reminds me of here but its also very different compared to what our towns look like. It'll be an adventure for sure.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times
Quote:
You people have toooo much time on your hands. You look far too deep into things also.

About the haggis comment, what has stereotypical nonesense got to do with gun control? Are you just being immature and wanting to create personal attacks??

Matter for fact, i can bet unlike most of you i have been to both Scotland and the US and never personally attack or judge the US. Have you? I bet not i can tell.
you can tell what? when you use such broad, logically fallacious statements such as 'you people', who are you referring to? everyone on this thread? the americans? the anti-gunners? the pro-gunners? be specific; it can only add to the communication factor of the conversation, rather than detract from it with vague, easily misunderstood, easily mistaken mutterings.

i've never been to scotland, but i've been to a lot of other places. if your intent is to show that the americans against which you are arguing are ignorant, then you have to do a little more homework first. how many of the supporters of the second amendment do you think are prior service members? you wanna take a guess as to how many of them have served overseas? that isn't even counting the ones that have traveled on their own.

Quote:
I have no problem with guns, like I stated previously i am a gun owner and hunt. I just didn't understand why people would want to carry outside. Plain and simple.
so what? that is beside the point. i don't understand why some people are vegetarians. or why some people smoke. or why some people buy ridiculously expensive automobiles. does that make it any of my business? does it give me any authority to tell them that they are wrong?

in fact, you just admitted that you don't understand it. therefore, you aren't qualified to speak of the merits or flaws of either of the positions.

Quote:
Scraping the bottom of the barrel now.
and who precisely is the bottom of the barrel? anyone that disagrees with you? those with concealed carry permits? what is with the need for the insults?

someone makes a joke about haggis, and you burst a blood vessel. note the part where it was a joke. maybe he thought you were like the rest of the scots that he knows, with a little thicker skin.

Quote:
I could expect nothing less from ignorant Americans that know absolutely nothing about Scottish culture and Scotland itself which is most peoples motherland over there.
did you not just complain about insults a few paragraphs above?

and now this:

Quote:
Now you know what it feels like when everytime people like me mention the words "gun control" and every American becomes hostile and goes off on a tangent.
is it going to offend you when i call bs on this claim?

ahem. i call bs on this claim.

you are telling us that you rationally, knowingly disapproved of the insults which you mistakenly understood to be in another post, and then used the same tactics which you had just condemned in order to make a point? either you are a hypocrit or a liar, but i'll let you decide.

i realize that i'm no mindreader. but it seemed more like you just got a little irate and started throwing mean little personal attacks, which interestingly enough, you had just made clear that you don't participate in.

Quote:
I know all about gun control, your laws including your constitution. I am moving to Colorado in 3 years. My fiance is moving there in 4 weeks. When im over there I will respect your laws and regulations. I've owned firearms for 7 years.
yippee. so you are a firearm owner that doesn't understand or agree with those that wish to carry a concealed firearm. you realize, i will presume, that the far left doesn't understand or agree with your decision to even own a firearm in the first place. are they justified when they call you an inbred, uneducated, paranoid hick? are they justified in taking away that right simply because they don't understand it, and don't see the need for it?

Quote:
I am chilled, just trying to make you understand how I feel here on the receiving end.
the receiving end of what? no one has insulted you as far as i remember–feel free to point out where i may be mistaken. but the fact remains that the majority of us have been pretty polite. if you go back through the thread, you will find that it is the weapons-ban crowd that has been throwing around insults and assumptions.

raggedy ann in particular seems to think there is some kind of logic or argumentative validation in making snide comments and mocking everything that he or she doesn't agree with. good luck using that strategy if you ever find yourself trying to make a case in court, in front of a corporate board, the scientific community, or anywhere else that might matter more than an internet forum.

you, scotslass, were doing pretty well until you started pouting and complaining about nonexistent insults.

either way, haggis has nothing to do with the right to keep and bear a firearm.

aaron out.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:11 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
The part of the dictionary quote I found most interesting??
``from Medieval Latin tyrannia,``
"Medievil",,,, An interesting word...
meaning? you think that it doesn't exist anymore? let us look at the definition of the word 'interest', as in, you find it interesting, or maybe, as in special interests...

Quote:
interest
Main Entry:1in·ter·est Pronunciation: \ˈin-t(ə-)rəst; ˈin-tə-ˌrest, -ˌtrest; ˈin-tərst\ Function:noun Etymology:Middle English, probably alteration of earlier interesse, from Anglo-French & Medieval Latin; Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin, from Latin, to be between, make a difference, concern, from inter- + esse to be — more at isDate:15th century 1 a (1): right, title, or legal share in something (2): participation in advantage and responsibility b: business , company2 a: a charge for borrowed money generally a percentage of the amount borrowed b: the profit in goods or money that is made on invested capital c: an excess above what is due or expected <returned the insults with interest>3: advantage , benefit ; also : self-interest4: special interest5 a: a feeling that accompanies or causes special attention to an object or class of objects : concern b: something that arouses such attention c: a quality in a thing arousing interest
interest - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

hmm, maybe interests don't exist anymore either. after all, if tyrants have all disappeared from the face of the earth simply because the root of the english designation is medieval, than maybe every other word with historically ancient roots also has no current relevance to us either.

i sincerely hope that i am misreading your 'interest' in the dictionary selection, and that you aren't honestly trying to base your argument off of the fact that the word is old. you wouldn't do that, would you?

aaron out.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
...hmm, maybe interests don't exist anymore either...
Well, I for one have lost interest in banging my head against the wall with these people.
lol

Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
meaning? you think that it doesn't exist anymore? let us look at the definition of the word 'interest', as in, you find it interesting, or maybe, as in special interests...
Meaning it can be applied to many things today. It was one of the words used by opponents of fox hunting over here. " A medievil pastime"..
I think maybe gun owners in the US will become very familiar with the word.....

Old 12-02-2008, 01:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Are you in favor of a ban on private ownership of guns in the United States?

Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Meaning it can be applied to many things today. It was one of the words used by opponents of fox hunting over here. " A medievil pastime"..

I am quite glad we americans got rid of you english back in the 1770's, your country as I see it does not have what it takes to remain free and have to rely on a goverment to take care of your basic needs. I on the other hand am glad that most americans can provide without having uncle sugar giving them a free check every month, and am glad that I can take my firearms out and shoot them anytime I have a hankering to do so on my property. all without any say so from the goverment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies