Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
I do not know anybody, nor have I ever met anyone that is pro abortion. .
I think if you were to poll some of those who have posted here in this forum, they would admit to being "pro-abortion". They's consider it an important crime prevention strategy.

Not all fascists are religious fundamentalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 01:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Do Libertarians believe individuals have the freedom to kill others? Under which circumstances?

Just askin', have never heard their philosophy on this...
In defense, of course. Libertarians don't all agree on the death penalty so you'll hear differing opinions...

Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Yankees fail to make post-season, lending banks and stock market collapse. Fix the Yankees, and all will be fine economically.

Why can't we clearly see that if two things are both true, one of them is obviously the cause of the other one, and nothing but simple-minded imagination is required to see which is the cause of which.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
In defense, of course. Libertarians don't all agree on the death penalty so you'll hear differing opinions...
Defense of what? Property or just life?

Old 12-06-2008, 09:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
fair trial, swift punishment, you rape & murder while they cry, you die
decriminalization of self defense and abolishment of personal injury suits if injury occurred in the commission of a crime, the jails will become empty. behavior will change. punishment does that, it changes behavior. people behave badly bek they can.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Defense of what? Property or just life?
Again, you'll get different answers...I believe in defense of property within reason, others may say only in defense of life...

Old 12-07-2008, 11:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Anybody who kills another person in "self-defense", instead of just trying to disable or deter the attacker, or anybody who kills another person in defense of property, is guilty of just plain murder, with intent to kill. You can't use the defense of "I knew I had the legal right to kill him, so I did." That makes you a pre-meditated murderer..

Old 12-07-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody who kills another person in "self-defense", instead of just trying to disable or deter the attacker, or anybody who kills another person in defense of property, is guilty of just plain murder, with intent to kill. You can't use the defense of "I knew I had the legal right to kill him, so I did." That makes you a pre-meditated murderer..
You can often get in some trouble if you shoot to "disable or deter" an attacker because it may imply you did not fear for your life, which is the standard for self-defense. That combined with the criminal being alive to lie and sue you into bankruptcy.

Tell me, what would you have done in this situation: 3 'coldblooded thugs' jailed, linked to Dunkin' Donuts armed robberies (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/12/04/1203saintfort.html - broken link)

Old 12-07-2008, 03:23 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,434 times
The law in many countries recognizes that self defense in the heat of an attack is psychologically different than a premeditated aggression. The former is instinctual and natural for self preservation. On the topic of state approved execution, libertarian policy states its an exertion of extreme government power and open to abuse by tyrannical governments. Therefore there can be no exemptions or special rights allowed for any citizen including judges or police officers, since power corrupts absolutely.
In a libertarian society the defense of property is properly addressed through strengthened property laws which give a clearer definition of when and how force may be applied.
I have no intention of explaining this detail when a simple click of the mouse can take anyone to the libertarian party website or the mises institute website for more information

Old 12-07-2008, 06:11 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
There are many factors that can be attributed to an increase or decrease in the homicide rate but, the number of executions carried out annually, I can't see being one of them. When someone commits murder, they're not planning on getting caught when they're doing it. Whether you receive life in prison or the death penalty, neither is anything to be happy about (especially life without the possibility of parole).

In addition (just to make a fair presentation) the execution graph needs to be "weighted" just like the homicide graph is (in other words, the number of executions per whatever.....)......also, where's the number of executions between 1900-1930 (why aren't they shown)....did that conflict with the conclusion people were expected to draw from the two graphs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies