Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,597,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
The law in many countries recognizes that self defense in the heat of an attack is psychologically different than a premeditated aggression. The former is instinctual and natural for self preservation. On the topic of state approved execution, libertarian policy states its an exertion of extreme government power and open to abuse by tyrannical governments. Therefore there can be no exemptions or special rights allowed for any citizen including judges or police officers, since power corrupts absolutely.
In a libertarian society the defense of property is properly addressed through strengthened property laws which give a clearer definition of when and how force may be applied.
I have no intention of explaining this detail when a simple click of the mouse can take anyone to the libertarian party website or the mises institute website for more information
OK then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You can often get in some trouble if you shoot to "disable or deter" an attacker because it may imply you did not fear for your life, which is the standard for self-defense. That combined with the criminal being alive to lie and sue you into bankruptcy.

Tell me, what would you have done in this situation: 3 'coldblooded thugs' jailed, linked to Dunkin' Donuts armed robberies (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/12/04/1203saintfort.html - broken link)
Once you gun nuts decide you are determined to kill people, you'll stop at nothing. The G. Gordon Liddy "head shots" Mantra serves your needs pefectly.

I don't have time to read everything you can dredge up out of your bottomless pit of blogs. Can you summarize this singular anecdotal incident for me?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody who kills another person in "self-defense", instead of just trying to disable or deter the attacker, or anybody who kills another person in defense of property, is guilty of just plain murder, with intent to kill. You can't use the defense of "I knew I had the legal right to kill him, so I did." That makes you a pre-meditated murderer..
You have to be kidding me. Please tell me you're joking.

So let me get this straight... some popped up nut breaks into my home and begins beating me. I need to just sit there and take it? Pray the cops arrive before I'm dead or braindamaged?

What? Will SuperObama fly in and save me?

No one wants to be put in the position where they have to take a life to save their own but EVERYONE has the right to defend themselves. The criminal is not the victim!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,597,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
You have to be kidding me. Please tell me you're joking.

So let me get this straight... some popped up nut breaks into my home and begins beating me. I need to just sit there and take it? Pray the cops arrive before I'm dead or braindamaged?

What? Will SuperObama fly in and save me?

No one wants to be put in the position where they have to take a life to save their own but EVERYONE has the right to defend themselves. The criminal is not the victim!
I think you missed jtur88's point. He's making a distiction between disabling/deterring the attacker and killing the attacker. He didn't say you don't have the right to defend yourself.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think you missed jtur88's point. He's making a distiction between disabling/deterring the attacker and killing the attacker. He didn't say you don't have the right to defend yourself.
I don't think he's ever wounded a bear.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post

Well, if you break into my home I'm not going to aim for your foot like in the movies. I'm aiming for the center of mass which is the chest.

Sorry, but my rights and safety are more important than the rights of a criminal breaking into my home and/or threatening me. His rights are of no concern to me. He gave them up when he decided to commit a violent crime.

Shooting someone for vandalism, property crime is a different matter.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The government can't be trusted with the power to kill the citizens.
You mean the power to kill citizens that have killed many times without remorse or regret and will do it again if allowed. You're right, what nerve?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Well, if you break into my home I'm not going to aim for your foot like in the movies. I'm aiming for the center of mass which is the chest.

Sorry, but my rights and safety are more important than the rights of a criminal breaking into my home and/or threatening me. His rights are of no concern to me. He gave them up when he decided to commit a violent crime.

Shooting someone for vandalism, property crime is a different matter.
You are absolutely right my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies