Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:15 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,918,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But this is establishing a *central* and policitally endorced database. That is different than having records here and there. Last time I moved half my records never showed up. I'd much rather have a highly inefficent process than one that my life history was available at the push of a button.
Yep, it's great providing health care with only half of a medical record available to me and the patient doesn't remember all that's missing in that other half. 'If it was important, I'd remember.' Yeah, that mal-practice attorney parked outside the ER is just salivating at the thought.

Notice how it's never the patient's fault when a medical error is made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Yep, it's great providing health care with only half of a medical record available to me and the patient doesn't remember all that's missing in that other half. 'If it was important, I'd remember.' Yeah, that mal-practice attorney parked outside the ER is just salivating at the thought.

So the answer is give up yet more of our privacy rights, huh? And create more bloated government bureaucracy? And throw more people in prison who don't play along? And where in the Constitution does it say the federal government has any authority to do this?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:27 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,320,008 times
Quote:
Yep, it's great providing health care with only half of a medical record available to me and the patient doesn't remember all that's missing in that other half. 'If it was important, I'd remember.' Yeah, that mal-practices attorney parked outside the ER is just salivating at the thought.

There will still be incompetent doctors, there will still be sue happy people and there will be innacuracies in the data base. It will hardly be health care nirvana, as you keep implying.
How many people have bogus info on their credit score?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
I suppose it would be possible to opt out of EMR by going to a dr. that doesn't use them, no?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:43 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,918,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So the answer is give up yet more of our privacy rights, huh? And create more bloated government bureaucracy? And throw more people in prison who don't play along? And where in the Constitution does it say the federal government has any authority to do this?
My point up to now is this is old news. I don't remember an 'outrage' when this was all being implemented within health care provider data records, insurance companies requiring medical records before they'll pay a fee, etc. This has been going on for years and years and what I see is people pulling this out now simply as a political statement against the new administration. You've been 'railing' about government's interference in people's personal lives for years. What does that mean? What have you done? You're thinking of moving to Alaska? Well let me tell ya, I got a call from a guy in Anchorage, Public Health Office, who was asking questions about a patient I had seen. He was sent a copy of a lab result from the company who ran the test. He wanted to know how I was treating the person. As I've been stating throughout this thread, this is old news!

I personally will benefit as will my patients. You keep your records in a safe and you'll be fine as long as you don't require any health care. If you do, since you'll be paying with cash, you could use an alias.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,884,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How do you know you can't opt out? You can opt out of the Colorado immunization registry, which, BTW, sounds a lot more secure than the credit card companies!
Because that is what the proposed law states

Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
Quote:

I fill out the sheet on the clipboard in exacting detail. I make sure a new doctor has more than enough information. There is no reason not to. But, I provide it knowing its correct.

I've also found that some doctors don't really listen with bad results, especially with drug side effects. The two major problems I had were the result of my researching my meds on the net, and finding warnings that I should not use the med. I verify all of them myself since then.

Why should anyone lie to the doctor about past medical history anyway, unless its someone who works for the boss who is probably going to pass the list on.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
Quote:
My point up to now is this is old news. I don't remember an 'outrage' when this was all being implemented within health care provider data records, insurance companies requiring medical records before they'll pay a fee, etc. This has been going on for years and years and what I see is people pulling this out now simply as a political statement against the new administration. You've been 'railing' about government's interference in people's personal lives for years. What does that mean? What have you done? You're thinking of moving to Alaska? Well let me tell ya, I got a call from a guy in Anchorage, Public Health Office, who was asking questions about a patient I had seen. He was sent a copy of a lab result from the company who ran the test. He wanted to know how I was treating the person. As I've been stating throughout this thread, this is old news!

I personally will benefit as will my patients. You keep your records in a safe and you'll be fine as long as you don't require any health care. If you do, since you'll be paying with cash, you could use an alias.
No, it isn't. There are very big differences.

First, I can't opt out. For someone to see my private medical records now, I must sign a release. It states to whom I allow them to be released and for what period of time. If I choose not to sign they don't get sent. This includes to governmental agencies.

Second, this proposes a nation wide online database. It is not only subject to errors, but how secure? Where is the permission I give for records to be accessed? What if not only doctors but then insurence and employers and ..... can access it? the sliding slope.... We can complain but the information already exists.

Third, this can be a part of data mining to create a profile of you, or me, or anyone for likely neferious reasons. Medical records contain notes by doctors who are making a judgement on what the patient says as well, so what if their particular scribble is wrong? Now its sitting on a data base somewhere forever.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,940 times
If this plan goes through, I give only 6 months before someones files accidentally end up in the garbage or on some forgotten disk in a cafeteria.
This is just another intrusion into the privacy of American citizens.

Would the government ever use this information against you? Just ask Valerie Plame!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Here's the deal. Your medical information is and has been shared with other health care providers/labs/radiology depts/anyone involved in your health care, health care payors, pharmacys, disability insurers, workman's comp and life insurance companys for years. Nothing new there except you apparently didn't know it was happening.

If someone else pays for all or part of your health care, they have and have had access to your medical records. DONE DEAL.

At this time, all health care providers have already implemented Electronic Health Records, are in the process of doing so or have a date to start. DONE DEAL.
You can opt out of having your care made available to insurance companys by paying cash for your health care. You can opt out of your health care provider sharing your health information with another health care provider by only going to one and refusing referrals, consults, surgery, prescriptions and diagnostic tests of any type.

You cannot opt out of electronic health records.
Uh, not so. The practice where I work has no plans to start any type of EMR. There is a practice in my building that doesn't even have a fax machine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies