Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:50 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,930,708 times

Advertisements

Any of you go to the VA for medical care? They have all your information in a data base that is shared by all the VAs across the country. That ID card they give you to present to the clinic when you go in, has your medical information in it.

You go to a large health care group, such as Keiser or Mayo, etc.? Info is already in a data base.

DNA data banks. Already in place for criminals.

DNA data banks. Already in place for bone marrow donors, blood donors, sperm donors, etc.

Nothing new here folks, except knowledge. Some thing that has been happening for years is going forward with a new name and face. Because the new President has included it in his plans, you're finally paying attention.

I'm amazed at the paranoia of the threads in this and the election forum. I'm not naive' but I'm not listening to Chicken Little either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 05:32 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,606,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I don't see this as paranoid at all. Wouldn't it be great for us to find the culpret instantly with dna and fingerprints, even if they were just someone who'd been there? What if data gets corrupted or mislabeled? How do you counter that while they are booking you into county jail. What if it was a vendetta against you or your family or to get you to tell on your friends? Would this still be paranoid and illogical?

We need to start thinking about rights and responsibilites and not how the nanny state is protecting us from cradle to grave. There is risk in life and concequences to it and if we don't want to all turn into robots we better remember that. Hopefully before its too late.

We need to remember that not all things are good that are justified by "Our safety from ...." or the other versions except for the sheep hearders.
Ooookaaay, well it's come down to me bringing this up, which actually has nothing to do w/the OP, but it kinda does. Now, I don't know what party you're affiliated with but I'm going to assume. I'm going to assume that you are of the conservative party, the party who had nooooo problem w/wiretapping. You know, those phone conversations you have that you really don't want people to know about but holy crap, it's quite possible the feds have the transcripts? Now, as I recall, none of the republicans or conservatives or what have you had any problem w/that...I'm sorry, I do have a problem w/that. Why? Because I call my ex...in Malaysia which is a muslim country, so most likely I've been tapped & profiled. But as I said, those people have no problem w/it because it's all in the name of "terrorism fighting" However, now you have a problem w/your records going electronic? I assure you, they most likely are already & you had no idea. And guess what? Has anything happened to you? Were you called into the office because you're a smoker & they found out because of your records? No, you haven't. Were you fired because you eat McDonald's every other day & sit down & drink a 6-pack when you come home from work? No. It's kind of like some people I know who refuse to pay bills online, they're paranoid someone's going to get their info. Guess what? When you go to the local grocery store & use your credit card or debit card to pay? They ALREADY have your info, the cashier can easily use that info to steal an identity.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,329,340 times
I'm amazed at the comfort level people have with government intrusion into their personal lives.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
I'm amazed at the comfort level people have with government intrusion into their personal lives.
So, why the outrage now? Why not last year? Five years ago? Twelve years ago? Why weren't you running throught the streets screaming your indicnation at electronic health records ten years ago. Why weren't you writing to your congress person about wiretapping 7 years ago?

Why the outrage now?? Talk about comfort level. You wait until it's a done deal and you blame the current Administration that is 10 days old! Government intrusion into your personal life is 10 days old?!!?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,329,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
So, why the outrage now? Why not last year? Five years ago? Twelve years ago? Why weren't you running throught the streets screaming your indicnation at electronic health records ten years ago. Why weren't you writing to your congress person about wiretapping 7 years ago?

Why the outrage now?? Talk about comfort level. You wait until it's a done deal and you blame the current Administration that is 10 days old! Government intrusion into your personal life is 10 days old?!!?
How do you know I wasn't
Anyway, you don't have a problem with it because similar instances have occurred before?
Or are you throwing a hissy because your man is being criticized?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
How do you know I wasn't
Anyway, you don't have a problem with it because similar instances have occurred before?
Or are you throwing a hissy because your man is being criticized?
Show me a post I made in this thread that can be classified as a 'hissy'. I'm only informing those that are in an uproar about the centralization of medical records that this has been going on for YEARS!!! It's unfortunate that many here didn't know that until we got a new man in the Oval Office. Maybe from now on more attention will be paid to what's going on in our country regardless of who is in office.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:01 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,342,084 times
A central medical records data base is a great idea. France has such a data base and it not only cuts costs but it also improves medical care because no matter which doctor you see they can instantly get access to your medical records. It's an awesome idea.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
A central medical records data base is a great idea. France has such a data base and it not only cuts costs but it also improves medical care because no matter which doctor you see they can instantly get access to your medical records. It's an awesome idea.
As a health care provider, I agree. We are such a fluid society that patients have seen have a dozen different providers in half as many different states. It's so frustrating to hear, 'Yeah, I'm allergic to a medicine. The blue one. I don't know why I was taking it. You know it, it's the blue one.' 'That scar. Hmmm... Yes, I had surgery to take out something. I don't know what they found but I guess it was alright. No body called me. I didn't go back because I moved.'

Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 PM

18,336 posts, read 26,596,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post

I've railed against the federal government for years, and not just on internet forums...

Old 01-30-2009, 07:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,343,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Ooookaaay, well it's come down to me bringing this up, which actually has nothing to do w/the OP, but it kinda does. Now, I don't know what party you're affiliated with but I'm going to assume. I'm going to assume that you are of the conservative party, the party who had nooooo problem w/wiretapping. You know, those phone conversations you have that you really don't want people to know about but holy crap, it's quite possible the feds have the transcripts? Now, as I recall, none of the republicans or conservatives or what have you had any problem w/that...I'm sorry, I do have a problem w/that. Why? Because I call my ex...in Malaysia which is a muslim country, so most likely I've been tapped & profiled. But as I said, those people have no problem w/it because it's all in the name of "terrorism fighting" However, now you have a problem w/your records going electronic? I assure you, they most likely are already & you had no idea. And guess what? Has anything happened to you? Were you called into the office because you're a smoker & they found out because of your records? No, you haven't. Were you fired because you eat McDonald's every other day & sit down & drink a 6-pack when you come home from work? No. It's kind of like some people I know who refuse to pay bills online, they're paranoid someone's going to get their info. Guess what? When you go to the local grocery store & use your credit card or debit card to pay? They ALREADY have your info, the cashier can easily use that info to steal an identity.
Actually I call myself an eclectic independent. I'm all over the landscape. But I care very very much about privacy.

Yes, records are out there. Cameras record our every move. Big Brother is alive and well.

But this is establishing a *central* and policitally endorced database. That is different than having records here and there. Last time I moved half my records never showed up. I'd much rather have a highly inefficent process than one that my life history was available at the push of a button.

And if there is a central data base, and it is supposedly secure, just how long will it take for it to be hacked? Even banks and defense establishments have been (not even speaking of the Chinese and their hackers here). And yes, it has effected my life. My medical record has absolutely no business being available for anyone who can break into a database.

I repeat, it really does matter that we are seeing what exists in a hit and miss become an institutionalized system. It really does matter that we lose all semblence of privacy. Lets say you go to the airport and the new rules are you have to be strip searched to get on a plane. I mean everyone, with or without any reason. Do you say well, its pretty drastic and personal but to keep us safe, and anyway I don't have anything to find. Or do you stop taking planes? Or do you raise a loud protest about the unnecessary invasion of privacy?

We all should know that everything we say on the phone or internet if filtered, that any of us may be recorded. It's a choice of weather to shut us up or not. But it is still NOT A GOOD THING! Just as our entire medical history sitting out there to hack is also NOT a good thing.

The sheep will say, well its pretty much what is so big deal. The sheep may be very sorry about that some day but by then the sheep herders have penned them up very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies