Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,485,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
And it all came to a crashing halt on two summer nights in L.A. in August of 1969.
Really??What just happened on Jan. 20?? Halt..not..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,572,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well I think ole Mac did acknowledge there were some good advances but those weren't what he was talking about so he glossed over them and properly so.

Personally I think in White society all the 60s did in the long run was bring about the odd notion that a middle-class drone who drives an Audi is different in some fundamental way from a middle-class drone who drives a Buick.

And the notion that a guy can wear jeans to work in an office as long as he wears a tie to let people know "Oh yes, I'm a white-collar worker, don't confuse my freewheeling ways with my being a prole, see, I'm wearing a tie!"

Oh yeah, it also helped turn beer from a simple workingman's drink to something that people are "into".

And don't forget that during the 60s divorce laws were liberalized so that men could more easily dump loyal but unwanted wifes and get themselves a "new cookie".

Yeah, those are great social advances. Swell.
Right...good points. At one time, 'rough blue collar types' did their best to look good on their 'time off' (dress for photos..wear a tie to functions...'clean up the language' in mixed company...do your best to conceal your lowly station in life by 'acting like a gentleman')

Today?...the "yuppies"..the 'white collar' types...do their best to look like slobs...(hair uncombed...3-day razor shadow...'burp and scratch' at will...'potty humor'...loud cell phone conversations....generally free of all 'rules').

In other words, whereas we ONCE tried to appear 'better' than our situation in life...today, we try to appear "lower". Whereas it was once embarrassing to appear in NEED of a shave, today it's embarrassing to have HAD one...

Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,485,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Right...good points. At one time, 'rough blue collar types' did their best to look good on their 'time off' (dress for photos..wear a tie to functions...'clean up the language' in mixed company...do your best to conceal your lowly station in life by 'acting like a gentleman')

Today?...the "yuppies"..the 'white collar' types...do their best to look like slobs...(hair uncombed...3-day razor shadow...'burp and scratch' at will...'potty humor'...loud cell phone conversations....generally free of all 'rules').

In other words, whereas we ONCE tried to appear 'better' than our situation in life...today, we try to appear "lower". Whereas it was once embarrassing to appear in NEED of a shave, today it's embarrassing to have HAD one...
You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a Palin.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Whenever a politican speaks about "American Values", it almost always is about envoking an image of the Larry the Cable Guy show. McCain basically said everywhere outside the Confederacy was "UnAmerican".

Everytime someone here talks about "Values" or "Patriotism", they always seem to remind us that Immigrants, The Rich/Wall St, The poor, Jews, Muslims, Blacks, Catholics, Artisis, Gays, Intellectuals, Surfer dudes/dudettes, Counter-cultural, etc...don't envoke "Real American values". How the "Real America" is some country farm with blonde people and main streets, not those filthy big cities with their "Diversty" and cultural amenities. Or how a NY housing project is a "Ghetto" but a trailer park is "God's Country".

I consider myself an American before anything else. But maybe America would be good to recognize the incrediable diversity and ingeniuity of it's people. Alot of kids I talk to from Europe have this boring image of America and are shocked when I tell them all of the different and interesting subcultures to be found here. Why does American society glorify strip malls and Wal-Mart when we have so much more to offer?
I guess my question to you would be why would you post something like this? It sounds like you are trying to start trouble.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Would you like to see the difference between red states and blue states when it comes to charitable giving?
You won't like it.
A. It's not the topic of the thread.
B. Did you bother reading the links.
C. Deflection is not a valid debate tactic.
D. You seem to use it frequently.
E. Can you find valid links? Not from a xian source, but from a non-partisan source? That link would be providing data broken out by liberal and conservative, xian and not, right? Bring it on. I'll wait.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-08-2009 at 10:55 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 01:44 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,638,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I provided a bunch of links from the Tax Foundation, in this thread.
You might want to peruse them.
Or is that too difficult.

I did use them and I admit I was wrong, so there is no need to be so rude. Or is that too difficult?

Last edited by TXTwizter; 02-09-2009 at 01:53 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How so?

Well lets see, where should I start? The Ghetto Gangsta Bling Bling yahoos glorify a number of things..........crime, drugs, disrespect for women, disrespect for anyone NOT like them, no work ethic........shall I continue????

Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,319,530 times
I was responding to your comment AFTER I posted the links.
You hadn't read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Well lets see, where should I start? The Ghetto Gangsta Bling Bling yahoos glorify a number of things..........crime, drugs, disrespect for women, disrespect for anyone NOT like them, no work ethic........shall I continue????
Nice generalization.
Are these the people who hold any real power in the US?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 AM

17,021 posts, read 12,627,896 times
Anyone else thinking the OP uses the term "flyover country" alot?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Nice generalization.
Are these the people who hold any real power in the US?

We should only hope not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies