Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Well drug dealers and human smugglers need those Uzis and AK47s to blast our law enforcement officers, for one. Isn't that a 'noble cause'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:00 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,595,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have full size .45 magazines and they take 8 rounds. They manufacture extended magazines which hold more, but 8 is pretty standard. There are some models that take more, but I wouldn't say most do. Compact .45 usually takes only 6 rounds. That's what I've seen. Not that I have seen it all.
Both of my .45s accept magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. One is a Para-Ordinance P14, which is basically a 1911 with a double column magazine. The other is a Springfield XD which also has a double column magazine. There are many others, too, that can hold more than 10 rounds. Glock, S&W M&P, and other similar types of polymer framed pistols accept magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. It's really too bad that we can't get the magazines that hold over 10 rounds in California.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Bonnie & Clyde actually use to raid and rob national guard and police armories to get their weapons like the infamous Tommy machine gun and BAR.It is my understanding to what I heard they actually went into police stations and held up the police at gun point.Any criminal motivated enough for profit and with enough balls will do what they want and get what they want.

Cartels have billions in dollars,Russia and America have flooded South America with real military arms that sell cheap,Cartels can get anything they want so the idea that the American civilian legal gun market is the one stop shopping place for arms for them is bull I think.

The cartels have a billion dollar drug trade to protect,they will get what they need to protect it one way or another.If there is a American selling to them go after that person,banning Joe the everyday American from owing a firearm who takes his AR to the range on a weekend and never hurts anybody won't stop drug violence.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
I own quite a few high capacity weapons. Respectively, in order of preferance, A Springfield M1A, a DPMS Panther LR.308, a Romanian WASR AK-47 and RPK, and I just finished building a custom Para Ordanance P14 .45 ACP. All of my .22's hold 15 rounds in their tubular mags, and my Taurus C45 holds 12 .45 Colts. Wonder of wonders, none of these weapons have convinced me to go on a shooting spree or to break the law in any way. Funny, I was under the impression that firearms of this type had a magical power to influence the human mind and twist human beings into rabid killing machines. The only violence these weapons have perpetrated in my hands has been against calf killing coyotes, wild dogs and such. The two times I had to defend myself against two legged varmints I utilized a standard 1911 with the old GI spec 7 round mags. Funny how I felt far from naked in the face of my enemies with only 7 .45's at my disposal. Lol, the ammunition capacity of a firearm does NOT make it any more lethal or evil in any way shape or form. To think so shows a complete lack of knowledge of firearms. It's the intent of the person holding the weapon that can be considered "good" or "evil" and not the weapon itself. Since it is already illegal to use a firearm OF ANY TYPE to commit a crime and standards for punishing offenders are already in place tell me, how is "banning" specific types of firearms going to make things better? Will the criminals out there obey these new bans on these arms? Will it stop crime in any way? Will a ban on "semi automatic assault weapons" stop the bad guys from getting them? Lol, I think not. And I'll keep mine thanks.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Both of my .45s accept magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. One is a Para-Ordinance P14, which is basically a 1911 with a double column magazine. The other is a Springfield XD which also has a double column magazine. There are many others, too, that can hold more than 10 rounds. Glock, S&W M&P, and other similar types of polymer framed pistols accept magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. It's really too bad that we can't get the magazines that hold over 10 rounds in California.
My Sig will accept a larger magazine too, but the standard one holds 8.

Yes, I know there are .45s with larger magazines.

I don't think Clinton ban said anything about 10 rounds though. Or did it?

California has strange laws. For example, my Sig is not "CA Compliant", which I think means that I could not own it there.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I own quite a few high capacity weapons. Respectively, in order of preferance, A Springfield M1A, a DPMS Panther LR.308, a Romanian WASR AK-47 and RPK, and I just finished building a custom Para Ordanance P14 .45 ACP. All of my .22's hold 15 rounds in their tubular mags, and my Taurus C45 holds 12 .45 Colts. Wonder of wonders, none of these weapons have convinced me to go on a shooting spree or to break the law in any way. Funny, I was under the impression that firearms of this type had a magical power to influence the human mind and twist human beings into rabid killing machines. The only violence these weapons have perpetrated in my hands has been against calf killing coyotes, wild dogs and such. The two times I had to defend myself against two legged varmints I utilized a standard 1911 with the old GI spec 7 round mags. Funny how I felt far from naked in the face of my enemies with only 7 .45's at my disposal. Lol, the ammunition capacity of a firearm does NOT make it any more lethal or evil in any way shape or form. To think so shows a complete lack of knowledge of firearms. It's the intent of the person holding the weapon that can be considered "good" or "evil" and not the weapon itself. Since it is already illegal to use a firearm OF ANY TYPE to commit a crime and standards for punishing offenders are already in place tell me, how is "banning" specific types of firearms going to make things better? Will the criminals out there obey these new bans on these arms? Will it stop crime in any way? Will a ban on "semi automatic assault weapons" stop the bad guys from getting them? Lol, I think not. And I'll keep mine thanks.
According to a study in Florida, a holder of a conceled weapons permit is 800 times less likely to commit gun crime than an average citizen. The study is based on historical statistics.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
According to a study in Florida, a holder of a conceled weapons permit is 800 times less likely to commit gun crime than an average citizen. The study is based on historical statistics.
I have recieved a LOT of different training from many different instructors and schools over the years and every single venue taught how to AVOID having to use your weapon. The premise was that if you are crrying a concealed weapon you must mentally condition yourself to be very calm and to use diplomacy in the face of confrontation. If attacked, of course , you must respond but the attack must be dangerous and life threatening. Some clown who starts berating you on the street becuse you accidentally bumped into him is not a reason to reach for your weapon. Rather you must apologize and placate this individuals ego. When you are carrying a weapon on your person for self defense you have a duty to be NICE. No matter what. Someone can make all the derogatory comments about your Mother they wish and you smile , nod and LET IT GO. This is why the howling about CCW"s turning our streets into Dodge City make me laugh so much. CCW holders are willing to LET IT GO. We have remarkably thick skins. We have to. Goes with the territory.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:40 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Care to cite your source? Because everything I've read says the exact opposite, that permit holders are less likely to commit crimes...

Old 02-28-2009, 02:41 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Well drug dealers and human smugglers need those Uzis and AK47s to blast our law enforcement officers, for one. Isn't that a 'noble cause'?
Such guns are not used often in crimes here. Most are done with cheap handguns.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Care to cite your source? Because everything I've read says the exact opposite, that permit holders are less likely to commit crimes...
That's what I said. According to the study permit holders are 800 times LESS LIKELY to commit gun crime. In FL it hardly ever happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies