Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On social issues, how would you categorize yourself?
Very conservative 5 6.58%
Generally conservative 7 9.21%
Moderate, leaning conservative 11 14.47%
Moderate 6 7.89%
Moderate, leaning liberal 8 10.53%
Generally liberal 26 34.21%
Very liberal 13 17.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,286 times

Advertisements

and what is the result of our "war" on drugs? we have strict drug laws, so they must be doing a good job right?

we rank #1 as the most drug addicted country in the world. but you're right though. let's keep financing countries in the middle east that give us poppy, and the corrupt cocaine contries in south america.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This is what I said on an earlier thread re: legalizing drugs....

The consequences of legalizing drugs would be horrendous. What is the most commonly used drug? ALCOHOL. Why? Because it's LEGAL! And think of the endless consequences alcohol has on society....not only on the person using it.

If heroin, methampetamine, cocaine, LSD, etc. were legalized, they would be far more commonly used. The numbers who use alcohol compared to the numbers who use these substances prove it. The effects of these drugs are worse than the effects of alcohol and the negative consequences for society will be worse as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times
  • I am pro choice.. I wouldnt have an abortion, but feel that the decision is not up to anyone to decide but the person themselves
  • Gays should be allowed to marry.. why do I care what two loving, of age and consulting adults want to do. They should have the same rights as a hetero married couple in the eyes of the law as it applies to all married couples. The religious "marriage" wether acknowledged by a church or not should not even play into what legal rights couples have or don't have.
  • I'm for social programs like welfare, but do believe that there needs to be a way to teach those in those programs to fend for themselves and at some point they need to be limits placed on how long someone can go on collecting said welfare.
  • I"m for Universal Healthcare coverage. .because ultimately DOCTORS should decide what needs to be done and all people should be able to get treatment without having to be financially destroyed
  • Religion should be taught in the home... but am not opposed to a moment of silence (for you to use however one chooses, prayer, reflection.. whatever) nor do I oppose the "one nation under God" in the pledge of allegiance. I do not oppose learning about the existence of other religions in the classrooms.. I have no problem with Evolution being taught in the classroom either...and then what yu personally feel about it can be discussed at home and how it applies to your beliefs
  • I'm all for public education and against the privitization and voucher programs that would , IMO, deteriorate public schools.
  • I am for government regulations to curtail the abuses of capatilism..
  • I am all for going "green" and believe that it should be combated both on federal AND state levels
  • I am not opposed to people owning guns, but am in favor of more control...and screening of those that own them.
  • I am not opposed to the government steping in and funding research , etc. and helping advance our progression toward new science and technologies on all fronts.
I voted generally liberal.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
and what is the result of our "war" on drugs? we have strict drug laws, so they must be doing a good job right?

we rank #1 as the most drug addicted country in the world. but you're right though. let's keep financing countries in the middle east that give us poppy, and the corrupt cocaine contries in south america.
I support a completely different enforcement strategy, that would start with eliminating federal drug laws except as they pertain to drugs that are being transported into or out of the country.

Everything else should be handled at the state level. States should focus on treatment, rather than incarceration for users.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:15 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Everything else should be handled at the state level. States should focus on treatment, rather than incarceration for users.
Just don't forget to include the fun stuff that finalsay and I discussed:

Public hangings, canings, and tar and featherings.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
I said generally liberal -- what keeps me from being very liberal is that I do believe that second and third trimester abortions should be illegal, with very few exceptions. But then I believe Plan B should be sold with Pez Dispensers or perhaps like candy necklaces

Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
Quote:
Maybe it's because you say what you think they want you to say, regardless of what your views actually are.
If you read my posts you'll see that I tend to be open about my opinions, even while in the midst of people who do or could disagree with me. I just don't feel the need to convince everyone that I'm right and they're wrong. Most people are much more than their opinion on one hot-button issue. It can help to be mindful of that and show mutual respect for each other.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
If you read my posts you'll see that I tend to be open about my opinions, even while in the midst of people who do or could disagree with me. I just don't feel the need to convince everyone that I'm right and they're wrong. Most people are much more than their opinion on one hot-button issue. It can help to be mindful of that and show mutual respect for each other.
Fair enough, but it's easier to do that in real life than on an Internet forum!

That's what I was getting at...many of us are quick to condemn complete strangers who we are not speaking to in person for their views, but would never do the same in the real world.

I was assuming you were addressing real life conversations in your post as well.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but it's easier to do that in real life than on an Internet forum!

That's what I was getting at...many of us are quick to condemn complete strangers who we are not speaking to in person for their views, but would never do the same in the real world.

I was assuming you were addressing real life conversations in your post as well.
Yup, I was meaning any communication - in person, phone, email, IM, message board. I'm pretty similar in person or online. Although, I just met some of my internet friends in person for the first time and they started thinking it was "cute" to hear me swear They'd seen me do it on email/IM but it sounded "sweet" to hear it in person

Anyway, I agree - so many people use the internet as a shield or create personas and then go on the attack. It's confounding to me. Even people who are sincere can end up being extremely mean and rude in a way that I hope they aren't in person. The crazy thing is, that the beauty of the internet is that you don't have to respond immediately - you have time to think and compose your response or just not respond at all. Wish more people would take advantage of that opportunity - get their point across in a way that people will be more open to considering.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,209,139 times
I put generally liberal, although I might be viewed as apathetic, a moderate, or just plain "unpredictable" by some.

I support gay marriage and abortion, but I don't support affirmative action, am pro-death penalty, and generally anti-gun control. I don't think education should be compulsory for students who display knowledge of basic math and reading skills, but I do believe that government funds should be allocated for students who do want to get an education. I also believe that prisoners should be made to do labor or entertainment because they wouldn't be productive otherwise.

Positions on marijuana possession don't seem to toe the party line as much, but I don't think that it should be a crime.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Anyway, I agree - so many people use the internet as a shield or create personas and then go on the attack. It's confounding to me. Even people who are sincere can end up being extremely mean and rude in a way that I hope they aren't in person. The crazy thing is, that the beauty of the internet is that you don't have to respond immediately - you have time to think and compose your response or just not respond at all. Wish more people would take advantage of that opportunity - get their point across in a way that people will be more open to considering.
Excellent advice. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies