Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On social issues, how would you categorize yourself?
Very conservative 5 6.58%
Generally conservative 7 9.21%
Moderate, leaning conservative 11 14.47%
Moderate 6 7.89%
Moderate, leaning liberal 8 10.53%
Generally liberal 26 34.21%
Very liberal 13 17.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I am ok with early term abortion. I am not pro gay marriage, I am anti institution of marriage. it's a man made institution. I am pro death penalty. I think we don't execute enough. if it can be proven beyond doubt that a person killed another person, they shoud be instantly hung in public. I also think that all manufacturing jobs that have been moved to other countries should instantly be brought back to this country and put into prisons. prisoners should work for their room and board while they REPAY their debt to society. not create more debt for society. imagine how cheap products would be if they were being produced by free labor in our prisons.
Stalin tried this with the Gulags. Scary place the Soviet world must've been when that man was in power.

Not sure what I 'd consider myself to be...somewhere in the Moderate zone. I'm not one to categorize myself with one label/affiliation or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:59 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Interesting that some people have a need to point out that they're turned off by homosexuality even when they support same-sex relationships. It's like they want to let everyone know that they're really anti-gay, but they don't want to be labeled a bigot.

Just an observation.
I'm not trying to hide that I'm anti-gay, and I don't think being anti-gay makes me a bigot in any way whatsoever. I think you're being very unfair by labeling me a bigot when you don't even know me. This is very common with gays....it seems many of you have absolutely no tolerance for people who don't embrace your lifestyle, even though we defend your right to live it.

I guess the best way to explain my feelings is to equate them to the way some people feel about abortion. There are many women out there who are pro-choice but would never themselves have an abortion. But they respect a woman's right to choose what to do with her body. Or, another good comparison would be that I'm pro legalizing prostitution. I think if two people want to enter into a financial agreement to have sex, that is their business and it's ridiculous that most states (expect Nevada) have made that illegal. However, having said that, I personally find any person prostituting themselves to be also demeaning themselves, and I find it distasteful. But again, I'd vote for any legislation legalizing prostitution because I believe strongly in individual rights.

With regard to gay rights, I personally find homosexuality distasteful; however, that's where I leave it. I don't honesty believe that gays and lesbians are actually hurting anybody, and I do stand up for their right to not be discriminated against, and I do believe they should have the same rights as heterosexuals.

It all comes down to MY RIGHT to find something distasteful without being persecuted for my feelings.

Last edited by FormerCaliforniaGirl; 05-04-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 07:00 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,286 times
maybe you're ok with paying for a child molesters cable TV, but I'm not. child molesters, rapists, and murders aren't human, and I have no desire to treat them as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Stalin tried this with the Gulags. Scary place the Soviet world must've been when that man was in power.

Not sure what I 'd consider myself to be...somewhere in the Moderate zone. I'm not one to categorize myself with one label/affiliation or another.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
maybe you're ok with paying for a child molesters cable TV, but I'm not. child molesters, rapists, and murders aren't human, and I have no desire to treat them as such.
Um...excuse me, what? Why are you putting words in my mouth? Where did you get the idea that I want to pay for a child molesters cable TV?

Child molesters, rapists, and murderers should be put to death, IMO.

Do you know any background of the Gulags? The scary thing was that millions upon millions of innocent people perished during the purges due to, in part, the economic needs of the country and the manufacturing quotas set out by Stalin.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
I have no desire to punish innocent people. I want people to repay their debt to society, and not create debt for society. if they aren't producing something while locked up, they are nothing but a debt and a burden on society.

Quote:
Um...excuse me, what? Why are you putting words in my mouth? Where did you get the idea that I want to pay for a child molesters cable TV?

Do you know any background of the Gulags? The scary thing was that millions upon millions of innocent people perished during the purges due to, in part, the economic needs of the country and the manufacturing quotas set out by Stalin.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
It sounds great - but do you realize the risks associated with that?

If Joe Bob has molested 6 year old Suzie and can be put to death for either the molestation or for murdering her, he has no reward for not simply killing her. If he kills her, she won't be able to report either the molestation or the murder anyway...so he has less of a chance of getting caught for anything.

When talking about child sex offenders, it's easier to focus solely on emotion and not think rationally and logically. That's NOT what's safest for the kids.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 AM

we shouldn't kill them, we should cut off their junk. see how manly the criminal feels after we neuter him. cruel and unusual? let's hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It sounds great - but do you realize the risks associated with that?

If Joe Bob has molested 6 year old Suzie and can be put to death for either the molestation or for murdering her, he has no reward for not simply killing her. If he kills her, she won't be able to report either the molestation or the murder anyway...so he has less of a chance of getting caught for anything.

When talking about child sex offenders, it's easier to focus solely on emotion and not think rationally and logically. That's NOT what's safest for the kids.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I have no desire to punish innocent people. I want people to repay their debt to society, and not create debt for society. if they aren't producing something while locked up, they are nothing but a debt and a burden on society.
Very well said!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:48 AM

640 posts, read 1,732,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I consider myself a conversative libertarian so i put moderate leaning conversative. On poverty, i think that most forms of welfare should be eliminated. I am mostly against abortion possibly excluding cases involving rape or incest. I'm against gay marriage but not against civil unions with limited rights. I believe in light gun control meaning outside of being insane or having a felony on your record everyone should have a right to a gun.

I also think most of these issues should be left to the states as opposed to the federal government.

I clicked on moderate but after reading some responses I realized that I am moderate leaning conservative. I agree with everything above to a "T".

I'll think I elaborate my position though:
-Am for free birth control. Yes, you heard it. If older men can get their "boner" pills paid for by the goverment, women of America should get their birth control paid for.
- I too thought Bush was the WORST PRESIDENT EVER.
- Believe that goverment should stay out of science and should encourage scientific progress.
- Believe goverment should stay out of religion.
- Gay civil unions/marriage is fine with me, and I think they are entitled to the tax breaks and the "next of kin" clauses marriages have.
-Pro consitution/defending individual rights/ defending states rights.

I think I may be all over the place.

Last edited by simpleharmonicmotion; 05-04-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
This is very common with gays....it seems many of you have absolutely no tolerance for people who don't embrace your lifestyle, even though we defend your right to live it.
Here we go again...

I have plenty of tolerance for those who don't embrace homosexuality. I tolerate it every day right here on this forum without saying much to them. My point is that you took the time to note that you're very turned off by homosexuality. When you criticize a core part of a certain group of people, you shouldn't be surprised that you get a reaction from them.

Quote:
I guess the best way to explain my feelings is to equate them to the way some people feel about abortion. There are many women out there who are pro-choice but would never themselves have an abortion. But they respect a woman's right to choose what to do with her body. Or, another good comparison would be that I'm pro legalizing prostitution. I think if two people want to enter into a financial agreement to have sex, that is their business and it's ridiculous that most states (expect Nevada) have made that illegal. However, having said that, I personally find any person prostituting themselves to be also demeaning themselves, and I find it distasteful. But again, I'd vote for any legislation legalizing prostitution because I believe strongly in individual rights.

With regard to gay rights, I personally find homosexuality distasteful; however, that's where I leave it. I don't honesty believe that gays and lesbians are actually hurting anybody, and I do stand up for their right to not be discriminated against, and I do believe they should have the same rights as heterosexuals.

It all comes down to MY RIGHT to find something distasteful without being persecuted for my feelings.
Yes, but you're comparing sexual orientation with choices like being a prostitute and having an abortion. Again, you should expect a reaction when you say that a core part of a person is distasteful. If you were to criticize them for some of the actual choices they make in life, that would be easier to accept.

What would you think of a white person who says that all Latinos are distasteful? And if Latinos had a negative reaction to that statement, would you call them intolerant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies