Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
There is a "benefit" to non-Black minorities to embrace the established caste system which places Blacks on "the bottom" in America.

In my personal experience, growing up Black in an upper middle class Black area of Los Angeles, I have always noticed that other racial minorities have an overt attitude of "we should at least be doing better than a Black person". In their minds, Black people are not "supposed" to do better, earn better, have better, or live better than they do.

It is in the best interest of Hispanics and Asians to play upon the "model minority" stereotype regardless of its truthfulness. In the parts of the country that have very small populations of Hispanics and Asians, this stereotype is able to remain unchallenged. In a city like Los Angeles, the crime activities of non-Black minorities is undeniable and unavoidable.
Amen, when we immigrated from South Africa I found that the most racist people were not white, but other non-black minorities trying to show that they were better than us (the black family). Unfortunately for them, even though my parents have thick African accents, they were able to make more money than 95% of families in our neighborhood. Based off of my experiences I would feel 10X more comfortable living in an all white community opposed to an all Cuban, Mexican, Asian, ect neighborhood. At least rich whites will judge you for your character, non-black minorities on the other hand...... The funny part is that all of my African, American black, and Caribbean friends have had the exact same experiences. Lol! Again I don't care if people agree with what I say, I'm just going off of my experiences...

Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Amen, when we immigrated from South Africa I found that the most racist people were not white, but other non-black minorities trying to show that they were better than us (the black family). Unfortunately for them, even though my parents have thick African accents, they were able to make more money than 95% of families in our neighborhood. Based off of my experiences I would feel 10X more comfortable living in an all white community opposed to an all Cuban, Mexican, Asian, ect neighborhood. At least rich whites will judge you for your character, non-black minorities on the other hand...... The funny part is that all of my African, American black, and Caribbean friends have had the exact same experiences. Lol! Again I don't care if people agree with what I say, I'm just going off of my experiences...
But even within my experience, many African immigrants have a negative opinion of African-Americans. I remember an Ethopian cab driver mentioning to us how he was angry that only black thugs would run off on him without paying or rob him. He said no other minorities did that. And within the Ethopian community here in DC, many immirgrants have expressed tension with the local black population bc they are seen as not pulling their weight and giving them a bad name as Africans. I have heard this from many African immigrants, and I don't even have to ask, they usually very open about it....

Old 10-06-2010, 09:43 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
But even within my experience, many African immigrants have a negative opinion of African-Americans. I remember an Ethopian cab driver mentioning to us how he was angry that only black thugs would run off on him without paying or rob him. He said no other minorities did that. And within the Ethopian community here in DC, many immirgrants have expressed tension with the local black population bc they are seen as not pulling their weight and giving them a bad name as Africans. I have heard this from many African immigrants, and I don't even have to ask, they usually very open about it....
Fair enough, but also understand that there is a huge difference between African immigrants, and the average African. I despise it when Africans spew that sort of rhetoric, not because I endorse the ghetto culture, but because African immigrants in America are some of the most highly educated and skilled workers in the world. There is no path to America for low skilled workers unless it is via the refugee system, so taking the smartest and most hard working 1% of Africans and comparing them to blacks in America is not fair. You could compare those same Africans against the lower class white folks, and the disparities would be just as alarming. I do think it would be interesting to see those statistics measured up against the statistics of the richest 10% of black Americans. I hate ghetto culture are much as that Ethiopian cab driver, but there are just as many hard working and educated black Americans out there and to suggest otherwise is unfair.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post

wow if anything its the other way around for every insult any african throw at american blacks i can throw a few more towards them i mean they are the last to talk about anyone when they do some of the most stupidest **** over there

Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
wow if anything its the other way around for every insult any african throw at american blacks i can throw a few more towards them i mean they are the last to talk about anyone when they do some of the most stupidest **** over there
Run on sentence much?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....
I think that many Americans always feel the need to look down on somebody that they deem to be worse off than themselves to make them feel better internally.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:52 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,670,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
There seems to be a rather long stream saying that everyone everywhere in the world is aware of the european-ness of Latin America except for Americans.

I feel a bit compelled to bring light to that issue. The mass majority of Latinos in the U.S. are from Mexico...overwhelmingly. The mass majority of Mexicans ARE mixed...even moreso the ones who go to the U.S. for economic reasons - generally a lot more indigenous blood in them.

Southern Florida and I'll add NYC or up in the Northeast, are unique in they have so many Carribbean (Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc.) and non-Mexicans Latinos - a rarity compared to the rest of the U.S.

But the mass majority of the U.S., it is predominately Mexican in incredibly large numbers. We're talking 30-40 million Mexicans live in the U.S....and the majority of Mexicans in the U.S. are predominately mestizo or very indegeneous, and generally coming for economic opportunity that doesn't exist in Mexico.

Therefore, for right or wrong, there is a reason that your average American outside of MIA/NYC associate Latino with...ahmm...Mexican-looking characteristics.

That being said, MIA/NYC doesn't reflect that whatsoever...but just saying.
I totally disagree.
Many Hispanics are black with African descent & European Descent.
Mexico has a large European population of Jews, Irish and other settlers as well as blacks

Please get your facts straight

Old 10-11-2010, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,572 times
The New York Times did an interesting article based on interviews with two guys who were best friends in Cuba, and who both ended up in Miami, but in totally separate neighborhoods. One is white Cuban, one is black Cuban. Immediately upon arriving in Miami, the white Cuban found himself welcomed and tied into a supportive network of other white Cubans (and white folks) who helped him find work, network, etc. His friend was not offered any of these resources, and found himself more welcome in African-American neighborhoods than in white/white Cuban neighborhoods. He ended up in a low-income job, unlike his friend. Now they rarely see each other.

Whether or not you believe in the concept of race, the fact is that here in the U.S., as in other parts of the world, people are treated differently based on the color of their skin. If someone realizes that he may get access to more resources because of his lighter skin, he may do everything to differentiate himself from those with darker skin. He may buy into racist thinking because it helps him rationalize why he gets all these benefits just for the fact that he has lighter skin, not because he is more intelligent, talented, etc.

There are plenty of Hispanics and Cubans who are themselves black, and many so-called white hispanics and Cubans have African blood (although they might vehemently deny it). And there are plenty of Cubans/Hispanics of all hues who challenge racist thinking against black folks and people of all backgrounds.

Those who are racist, in my opinion, are trying to set themselves as insiders vs. outsiders. Some may be racist against black Americans far more than people of their own background who are of African descent. But they buy into what they see on TV or what they hear, and their puny minds believe it all. They feel better when they feel like they sit closer to the top of a racial pyramid.

Fortunately, I have met people who have managed to move beyond their racist views to discover the humanity of people of all backgrounds, realizing that racism hurts everyone, including those it supposedly benefits.

As the ancient Mayans said, "Inlakech" (You are my other me; what I do to you I do to myself.)

Old 10-11-2010, 06:11 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Racism against people of darker skin is not confined to the Americas. The "untouchables" of India were the darkest Indians and even though the caste system is long gone, there is still a degree of prejudice against darker skinned Indians by the lighter skinned ones. I don't know what the explanation or root cause of this is--it just is.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formernhresident View Post
these spanish people pretend they dont speak english..........they always say me speak no english............which is very sad its obvious they dont want to bother with us and therefor i will never vote for one in office............i would rather live near beautiful black people than these folks anyday
My friend has a Cuban mother and so Spanish was her first language, but she doesn't "look hispanic" and most Spanish-speaking people assume she doesn't understand them. She's had fun with that--delivery people who bring the wrong order or give back the wrong change, she'll say to them in Spanish "don't pull that 'I don't speak English crap on ME". She's also listened in stores as the clerks behind the counter talk about her in Spanish, criticizing her clothing or whatever, and then on her way out says something to them in Spanish, just to enjoy seeing the shocked look on their faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies