Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:57 PM

157 posts, read 180,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Heard someplace that Obama's plan might subsidize families' health insurance for those making less than 88K yearly. Not sure if that was adjusted gross income or not. Sounds good, but I wonder if it could really be done.
Why does that sound good? Obama's plan won't subsidize anyone...tax payers, actual people who go to work everyday, will pay the extra cost. Let's keep it real, shall we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 06:12 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Ever since the first day i started work i have paid my NI stamp for welfare, retirement and medical cover. It is at the moment about 11% of my earnings. This covers too many things to mention on here but basically..... Everyones health care needs. Everyones retirement pension, everyones schooling up to the age of 19. Once a pupil leaves school and goes to college they can apply for a grant to help them through college which is non returnable. Meals on wheels to the elderly... clinics for advice and many other things. unemployment offices to help people get jobs, incapacity benefit for those with illness preventing them from working, housing costs, etc etc etc.
America is only talking about taxing people for a UHC and so it will be much less to pay than the 11% i pay in the UK. Why is their such resentment towards other fellow Americans. Why is it such a problem to pay such a small tax so that EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN can have great healthcare. To the people who say that they do not believe in paying for others...don't be so smug as you or your family may be the ones in need of welfare or heath care from the state in the future...happens everyday to people who think it will NEVER happen to them.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:40 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyK View Post
Why does that sound good? Obama's plan won't subsidize anyone...tax payers, actual people who go to work everyday, will pay the extra cost. Let's keep it real, shall we.
For once I'd like to be the subsidzee rather than the subsidizer. Believe me. I'm just as tired as everyone else seeing their taxes being poorly managed for many years.

I thought that 88K a year was a pretty high amount of salary to get subsidized and was curious if it could be "real" as you put it.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Ever since the first day i started work i have paid my NI stamp for welfare, retirement and medical cover. It is at the moment about 11% of my earnings. This covers too many things to mention on here but basically..... Everyones health care needs. Everyones retirement pension, everyones schooling up to the age of 19. Once a pupil leaves school and goes to college they can apply for a grant to help them through college which is non returnable. Meals on wheels to the elderly... clinics for advice and many other things. unemployment offices to help people get jobs, incapacity benefit for those with illness preventing them from working, housing costs, etc etc etc.
America is only talking about taxing people for a UHC and so it will be much less to pay than the 11% i pay in the UK. Why is their such resentment towards other fellow Americans. Why is it such a problem to pay such a small tax so that EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN can have great healthcare. To the people who say that they do not believe in paying for others...don't be so smug as you or your family may be the ones in need of welfare or heath care from the state in the future...happens everyday to people who think it will NEVER happen to them.
Being self employed, I'm already at 15.3% just for Social Security and medicare. Are we going to add an additional 10% on top of this for UHC, then add 25% federal 5% state and local property taxes? When does it end?

What is the total percentage of income you pay in taxes in the UK?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Up to £37,400 we pay 20% There is a threshold under which you pay zero tax ( approx £6,500) and then after that amount you are assessed at 20%
Over £37,400 you pay 40%
If self employed you pay a weekly amount of about £2.40 per week and at the end of the year your earnings are assesssed and the amount you have already paid is deducted from your NI payments.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Income tax allowances07-08 (£)08-09 (£)09-10 (£)Personal allowance5,2256,0356,475Personal allowance for people aged 65-74 (10% relief)7,5509,0309,490Personal allowance for people aged 75 and over (10% relief)7,6909,1809,640Married couple's allowance (born before 6th April 1935 but aged under 75)6,2856,535naMarried couple's allowance - aged 75 and over6,3656,6256,965Income limit for age-related allowances20,90021,80022,900Minimum amount of married couple's allowance2,4402,5402,670Blind person's allowance1,7301,800
Income tax bands </SPAN>07-08 Rate 08-09 Rate09-10 Rate07-08 (£)08-09 (£) 09-10 RateStarting Rate 10%abolishedabolished0 - 2,230 abolishedabolishedBasic Rate 22%20%20%2,231 - 34,600 0 - 34,800 0 - 37,400 Higher Rate 40%40%40%Over 34,600 Over 34,800 Over 37,400

Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 PM

157 posts, read 180,659 times
Quote:
Being self employed, I'm already at 15.3% just for Social Security and medicare. Are we going to add an additional 10% on top of this for UHC, then add 25% federal 5% state and local property taxes? When does it end?

What is the total percentage of income you pay in taxes in the UK?
fopt, I'm sorry if I was a little short with you! You're feeling my pain. I've been begging people to answer the same question you're asking..."How much of my money are you entitled to and how much do I deserve to keep?" I suspect they know the answer but they're too ASHAMED to say it. Somewhere along the way > 1/2 the citizenry bought into the idea they were ENTITLED to that which they had NOT earned.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Up to £37,400 we pay 20% There is a threshold under which you pay zero tax ( approx £6,500) and then after that amount you are assessed at 20%
Over £37,400 you pay 40%
If self employed you pay a weekly amount of about £2.40 per week and at the end of the year your earnings are assesssed and the amount you have already paid is deducted from your NI payments.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate you spending the time. Would you know the average wage or the percentage of people paying the 40% versus the 20%

It seems like the UK is more cost effective regarding the use of tax money for social services. Curious as to some reasons. Are non citizens allowed to get healthcare services? Is there as large an illegal alien problem as here in the US?

I don't mean to be putting you on the spot, but its nice to be able to get a view of how things are being done elsewhere.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyK View Post
fopt, I'm sorry if I was a little short with you! You're feeling my pain. I've been begging people to answer the same question you're asking..."How much of my money are you entitled to and how much do I deserve to keep?" I suspect they know the answer but they're too ASHAMED to say it. Somewhere along the way > 1/2 the citizenry bought into the idea they were ENTITLED to that which they had NOT earned.
No problem at all. After a while, you start to feel like a sucker for working and doing things right while some other people get rewarded for doing everything wrong.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I appreciate you spending the time. Would you know the average wage or the percentage of people paying the 40% versus the 20%

It seems like the UK is more cost effective regarding the use of tax money for social services. Curious as to some reasons. Are non citizens allowed to get healthcare services? Is there as large an illegal alien problem as here in the US?

I don't mean to be putting you on the spot, but its nice to be able to get a view of how things are being done elsewhere.
No problem.. its nice to see someone who is actually interested to find out how other systems actually work before making up your mind on whether it is any good or not.

I don't know the average wage but to earn around £24,000 per month is not a amazing salary but a lot of people earn around there. Train Drivers Earn around (i think) £63,000 per year.
Non citizens cannot get healthcare without being billed for it but as i said in a earlier post...my wife's daughter came over to London from Florida and she had a bad throat infection. Because she was staying in my home she was given free treatment and doctors consultations.
Yes we have a illegal immigrant problem... it is quite bad but add to that legal immigrants from india, pakistan, eastern europe etc and it is quite awful. They all get access to our health care once given a visa to stay.
We are getting many many muslims coming to the UK now and most are really nice people but i still think its not good for the country as you can not tell who is legal. illegal, friend or foe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies