Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:19 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
No problem.. its nice to see someone who is actually interested to find out how other systems actually work before making up your mind on whether it is any good or not.

I don't know the average wage but to earn around £24,000 per month is not a amazing salary but a lot of people earn around there. Train Drivers Earn around (i think) £63,000 per year.
Non citizens cannot get healthcare without being billed for it but as i said in a earlier post...my wife's daughter came over to London from Florida and she had a bad throat infection. Because she was staying in my home she was given free treatment and doctors consultations.
Yes we have a illegal immigrant problem... it is quite bad but add to that legal immigrants from india, pakistan, eastern europe etc and it is quite awful. They all get access to our health care once given a visa to stay.
We are getting many many muslims coming to the UK now and most are really nice people but i still think its not good for the country as you can not tell who is legal. illegal, friend or foe.
So then "average" people are paying the 40% income tax rate. Is there any growing animosity towards the immigrants or those who are subsidized? I would think people might be angry/resentful towards them, or does the UK just have a different view towards things?
I've read that the muslim immigrants really haven't been too accepted there and tend to live isolated form the rest of society. Any truth to that view or parallels to the hispanic immigrant situation here in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:32 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
So then "average" people are paying the 40% income tax rate. Is there any growing animosity towards the immigrants or those who are subsidized? I would think people might be angry/resentful towards them, or does the UK just have a different view towards things?
I've read that the muslim immigrants really haven't been too accepted there and tend to live isolated form the rest of society. Any truth to that view or parallels to the hispanic immigrant situation here in the US?
40% is only paid on the amount above the 20% threshold. You don't pay 40% for the whole amount earned. You also get a threshold under which you pay no tax. Basically you pay tax of 20% on the sum between the two thresholds.
There is resentment towards immigrants who come into the UK just to get welfare benefits. There is absolutely no resentment to any UK citizen who recieves welfare, healthcare etc etc. We feel that there are certain basic human rights and to pay for less fortunate citizens is what being a "Nation" is all about. We have our freedoms and we fought hard for them. Too many of us died in wars to get rid of dictatorship and that applies in our everyday life. The Govt is elected in to serve the people and we elect them to do their job. No point in having a Govt if it can't defend the welfare of every single citizen. The Govt. does NOT run our lives. It is such a great feeling to know that no matter what, every man woman and child will have good health care, good schooling and a safety net if they fall on hard times. There is NO resentment to our neighbours when they need our help. We have recently had a Budget. There was a survey and it was found that most Brits approve of a tax increase if it will help get us out of this financial crisis.
I have been so suprised at the animosity towards a UHC or a system to give every American access to Health care on here. When i ask my neighbours and friends in Houston, they agree that it is now time that America led in Healthcare for every citizen not laggged behind other nationalised countries. Why are some Americans so afraid of Govt intervention..it seems ok when the big companies need it.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
40% is only paid on the amount above the 20% threshold. You don't pay 40% for the whole amount earned. You also get a threshold under which you pay no tax. Basically you pay tax of 20% on the sum between the two thresholds.
There is resentment towards immigrants who come into the UK just to get welfare benefits. There is absolutely no resentment to any UK citizen who recieves welfare, healthcare etc etc. We feel that there are certain basic human rights and to pay for less foertunate citizens is what being a Nation is all about. We have our freedoms and we fought hard for them. Too many of us died in wars to get rid of dictatorship and that applies in our everyday life. The Govt is elected in to serve the people and we elect them to do their job. No point in having a Govt if it can't defend the welfare of every single citizen. The Govt. does NOT run our lives. It is such a great feeling to know that no matter what, every man woman and child will have good health care, good schooling and a safety net if they fall on hard times. There is NO resentment to our neighbours when they need our help. We have recently had a Budget. There was a survey and it was found that most Brits approve of a tax increase if it will help get us out of this financial crisis.
I have been so suprised at the animosity towards a UHC or a system to give every American access to Health care on here. When i ask my neighbours and friends inHouston, they agree that it is now time that America led in Healthcare for every citizen not laggged behind other nationalised countries. Why are some Americans so afraid of Govt intervention..it seems ok when the big companies need it.
I guess we just don't trust our gov't to do the right thing, that they'll some how screw it up. Perhaps the bailout of the banks and auto industries reinforce that view.
Also, the administration has been poor in providing the details of the plan before setting deadlines and having daily press conferences about the crisis. Rahm Emmanuel's quote about never let a crisis pass without getting something from it has led to a great deal of mistrust as well.
We need less fear mongering from the administration and more forthright independent financial analysis of what the plan will mean to every American, both cost and benefit. That is the only way to generate trust within the people who will be the ones paying for the plan.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
I guess we just don't trust our gov't to do the right thing, that they'll some how screw it up. Perhaps the bailout of the banks and auto industries reinforce that view.
Also, the administration has been poor in providing the details of the plan before setting deadlines and having daily press conferences about the crisis. Rahm Emmanuel's quote about never let a crisis pass without getting something from it has led to a great deal of mistrust as well.
We need less fear mongering from the administration and more forthright independent financial analysis of what the plan will mean to every American, both cost and benefit. That is the only way to generate trust within the people who will be the ones paying for the plan.
I sure as h*** don't know why you'd trust the insurance companies more!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I soooo agree with you.
It has become a huge lack of faith and trust in the Govt. because of the Huge blunders caused by Big business running Washington. It has got to the point where the American people know that the "Tail is wagging the Dog" and are fearful that this will be the case in a govt health system.
Washington has and still is scared of Big companies pulling their lucrative contracts away from the pockets of certain officials.
Obama has a huge job on his hands to try to convince America that he really is putting them first. I often wonder if he is worried about meeting the same fate as JFK if he turns things around too quickly?
Government is voted in by the people for the people... maybe one day the American people will get what they voted for..... a Govt that will do what it says and not what companies tell it to do.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not saying I do. Right now it is the system we have. Until we can be SHOWN the benefits of the Obama plan, a lot of people will feel safer with the status quo. That's just human nature.

Also, you can blame the govt for some of this problem as well. Here in NY, the state insurance department for the past few years routinely let the insurance co's raise their premiums without showing need. Paterson has changed that this year: premium increases have to be approved.

Bribing (ahem, sorry "Lobbying") by insurance companies into the hands of our policians and political parties has also caused this problem. Where is the oversight?

So who should I trust more? Tough choice. They both seem rather untrustworthy.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree.
The insurance companies are there for ONE reason...PROFIT.
Not your Health. Not your Welfare... Not even if you die a slow lingering death..just for PROFIT!
These are the ethics and reasons that some Americans are fighting to keep Healthcare under the control of Insurance Companies...they must be insane.
Yes the Govt could run it better and the Doctors would be the ones deciding what care you should get... NOT the CEO's of insurance companies who think with YOUR WALLET!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I soooo agree with you.
It has become a huge lack of faith and trust in the Govt. because of the Huge blunders caused by Big business running Washington. It has got to the point where the American people know that the "Tail is wagging the Dog" and are fearful that this will be the case in a govt health system.
Washington has and still is scared of Big companies pulling their lucrative contracts away from the pockets of certain officials.
Obama has a huge job on his hands to try to convince America that he really is putting them first. I often wonder if he is worried about meeting the same fate as JFK if he turns things around too quickly?
Government is voted in by the people for the people... maybe one day the American people will get what they voted for..... a Govt that will do what it says and not what companies tell it to do.
Quite true. I'm not sure yet about Obama if he really is for the people or just a real good sales person. Time will tell.
I don't like to see the JFK/Camelot comparisons. Sort of like testing fate.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Quite true. I'm not sure yet about Obama if he really is for the people or just a real good sales person. Time will tell.
I don't like to see the JFK/Camelot comparisons. Sort of like testing fate.
I know what you mean. I wish people woulod at least give Obama time to see if he is genuine or not. What a job to have.... wrong even if you're right.
I would be very nervous if i was Obama..the Washington Institution will not like change.
People in America do not realise what a impact Obama being voted in as President has made in Europe and Around the World. For the first time in a long time America seems to be saying..."We do things our way, and find the best way to do things"
America is the greates country in the world but it has been so long since people looked at America with wide eyes and said "WOW" ... it used to happen all the time.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean. I wish people woulod at least give Obama time to see if he is genuine or not. What a job to have.... wrong even if you're right.
I would be very nervous if i was Obama..the Washington Institution will not like change.
People in America do not realise what a impact Obama being voted in as President has made in Europe and Around the World. For the first time in a long time America seems to be saying..."We do things our way, and find the best way to do things"
America is the greates country in the world but it has been so long since people looked at America with wide eyes and said "WOW" ... it used to happen all the time.
Yeah, I wouldn't want the job, LOL. You can see how is making his hair more gray daily. That stress can't be good for you.

I want to thank you for this conversation. Its nice to have an intelligent discusion about things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies