Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

You be liuck to see it in four years unless they push thru a plan that has major falws or is too expensive for the average person. Since the governmant owns no hospitals for privte citizens iot will be much different and more like rationed care IMO. Look for it to cost more and cover less than medicare. Look at the veterans system and you get a view of what government medical is really liike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,130 times
good point. i have family in the military and some of them work at those veterans hospitals. not great at all.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:53 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Why is it the government's responsibility to provide you with health care? The free market has provided a million doctors of any and every speciality thinkable.

Other than Medicare, which is justified for the care of older retired/non-working folks, why is the impetus on government to see to your well-being? Are you not perfectly capable of setting aside a few dollars per month to cover a doctors visit, or pay for your insurance? If not, then why not?

I'd love to hear thoughts on this.
A few dollars??? Do you have health insurance? Families are paying up to 1,000 a month for health insurance. Is that a few bucks? Even then it still does not cover everything.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:15 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Why is it the government's responsibility to provide you with health care? The free market has provided a million doctors of any and every speciality thinkable.

Other than Medicare, which is justified for the care of older retired/non-working folks, why is the impetus on government to see to your well-being? Are you not perfectly capable of setting aside a few dollars per month to cover a doctors visit, or pay for your insurance? If not, then why not?

I'd love to hear thoughts on this.
Why then if we follow your logic is the Govt responsible for putting out a fire in your home. Isn't it personal responsibility to take care of your own home? Isn't it personal responsibilty to get your children educated up to the age of 18, so why isn't that under a private insurance scheme?

If having private health was just a case of setting aside a few Dollars a month then, i'm sure, nobody would be complaining or going bankrupt to pay Hospital Bills.
If Personal responsibility is a reason for the Govt NOT to pay for such a important thing as the Health of the Nation then why do my Taxes go to pay for other peoples Kids to go to School even if i don,t have any Children...many more examples of this stupid argument not holding up to scrutiny.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:58 PM

[quote=geeoro;8809957]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me ask this Geeoro: will the UK UHC cover cosmetic surgeries? I'm not talking a boob job - I'm talking about reconstructive cosmetic surgeries after say a mastectomy?

Or, how about a "Tummy" tuck for someone who has lost a lot of weight?

Now, these are but a couple of examples but my research on your UHC says the answer is no.

As i explained in a earlier reply to this post the NHS does perform cosmetic surgery for all medical issues. Now could you please provide everyone with this so called "research" that leads you to your "conclusions"
No research to show...thought not!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 PM

221 posts, read 219,356 times
Would be amazing for all Americans to have good health plan. Not this lottery we have now.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Would be amazing for all Americans to have good health plan. Not this lottery we have now.
No reason why not. The only thing stopping great health care in America is dependence on the Insurance Companies. They control how you use your Hospitals etc more than any Govt ever could.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 PM

48 posts, read 62,111 times
Quote:
graduated college in summer of 2005. Oct 30th of 2005 I totalled my car late at night. Nothing too bad happened to me...I did put my head in the winsheild and had a pretty nasty gash starting at my hairline and going up about 4 inches. Cops got there insisted I get an ambulance ride. I got there...they gave me some stiches then ran a CAT scan and a neck X-ray, chest X-ray and a couple other things (only had the gash in my head and sprained ankles/wrists).

Got the bills about a month later. Around $8000 total.

I was just kicked off my parents insurance since I finished school...I had been at my job for 2 months and our insurance didnt kick in until 90days of employment.

I take total responsibility for it...I assumed nothing would happen in those 3 months and I wasnt careful enough and it ended up biting me in the ass.
I'm pretty sure that your auto insurance should cover that. It's called bodily injury/property damage liability. Read your auto insurance plan. I'm sure it's in there.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 PM

48 posts, read 62,111 times
Quote:
A few dollars??? Do you have health insurance? Families are paying up to 1,000 a month for health insurance. Is that a few bucks? Even then it still does not cover everything.
hot air... many people get their insurance through their employers and therefore do not pay very much for their premiums.

Employers do not want UHC because they know that in order to pay for it their taxes will go up. That being business tax, personal income tax, etc. There is even talk about increasing payroll tax.

What geenero doesn't tell you is that the Europeans pay a lot of taxes. Their income tax is over 40%, their gas prices are very high (like over $9.00/gallon) all because of taxes, their sales (vat) tax is much higher. I believe in Sweden there is a 25% vat tax. Income tax in Sweden is 60%. Corporate tax is higher there too. Our gas tax averages 17%. I read somewhere that many European countries have a 70% gas tax.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
hot air... many people get their insurance through their employers and therefore do not pay very much for their premiums.

Employers do not want UHC because they know that in order to pay for it their taxes will go up. That being business tax, personal income tax, etc. There is even talk about increasing payroll tax.

What geenero doesn't tell you is that the Europeans pay a lot of taxes. Their income tax is over 40%, their gas prices are very high (like over $9.00/gallon) all because of taxes, their sales (vat) tax is much higher. I believe in Sweden there is a 25% vat tax. Income tax in Sweden is 60%. Corporate tax is higher there too. Our gas tax averages 17%. I read somewhere that many European countries have a 70% gas tax.
And we or our employers pay $10,000 -$12,000 per family for health care insurance to companies who use some of that money to hire people to deny benefits.

My employer -- who, BTW, is married to a nurse -- favors national health care. He identifies as a Reagan Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies