Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I do understand your point. And I agree that the involvement is there. Regardless, I still feel the government needs to stay out of issues of such a personal nature. And in defense of women, the government involvement, at present, is allowing some choice. I'm sure to them, this is better than allowing States to have the option of not allowing the choice.
Its not the federal governement job to do. if the states allowed the people would be deciding

Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Its not the federal governement job to do. if the states allowed the people would be deciding
I personally don't think either Fed or State should be involved.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I personally don't think either Fed or State should be involved.
I respect your thoughts. I will have to disagree i do think its a state issue

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times
No, All form of government is wrong when it comes to a moral debate. They do not think morally, they think financially.

Would you want to report to the government everytime you had sex? decided to sleep in? When ever this counties government gets involved and prohibits something (prohabition) like with alcohal before and drugs now. The act that is considered Illegal is still done, and spawns ciminal activity. If there was no prohabitions, we would not have most of the criminal groups as it is.

I garentee you that if the government puts a prohabition on abortion, we will see a rise in "criminal activity". Normal citizens who would never commit a crime, would be commiting crimes all the time.

Every time the government tells us what we can or cant do...the majority do it any ways.

Yes, of course murder, rape, robbery, etc. are Bad. They are there for a reason. The government needs to learn from its mistakes...as do we all. No one learns from others mistakes...you have to experiance it yourself.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
No, All form of government is wrong when it comes to a moral debate. They do not think morally, they think financially.

Would you want to report to the government everytime you had sex? decided to sleep in? When ever this counties government gets involved and prohibits something (prohabition) like with alcohal before and drugs now. The act that is considered Illegal is still done, and spawns ciminal activity. If there was no prohabitions, we would not have most of the criminal groups as it is.

I garentee you that if the government puts a prohabition on abortion, we will see a rise in "criminal activity". Normal citizens who would never commit a crime, would be commiting crimes all the time.

Every time the government tells us what we can or cant do...the majority do it any ways.

Yes, of course murder, rape, robbery, etc. are Bad. They are there for a reason. The government needs to learn from its mistakes...as do we all. No one learns from others mistakes...you have to experiance it yourself.
Government is in the moral debate. Right now they come down on the side of roe versus wade. So you must be claiming government is wrong because it is already in this debate. i agree the federal government has no say in a moral debate. it should be left to the people of the states to decide.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Government is in the moral debate. Right now they come down on the side of roe versus wade. So you must be claiming government is wrong because it is already in this debate. i agree the federal government has no say in a moral debate. it should be left to the people of the states to decide.
It should be left to the people in general. What people dont realize it that the people who are commonly in favor of abortion, Marijuana, homosexuality, and other hot debates its that they are the younger generation...we are more carefree than the older ones...we will be running the show in a few years and we will be controlling the vote. So, have you moral fun while you can becasue when my generation steps up to the plate...things will start changing.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I respect your thoughts. I will have to disagree i do think its a state issue
For you and I, in terms of discussion, this is progress.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
It should be left to the people in general. What people dont realize it that the people who are commonly in favor of abortion, Marijuana, homosexuality, and other hot debates its that they are the younger generation...we are more carefree than the older ones...we will be running the show in a few years and we will be controlling the vote. So, have you moral fun while you can becasue when my generation steps up to the plate...things will start changing.
I Agree on the more carefree assessment regarding youth. However, people tend to become more conservative as they age and start accumulating wealth and perhaps start slowing down. So the youthful attitudes will likely change to varying degrees. Myself? I am just turning 50. Am I one of the older ones? Depends on the issue. My stance on abortion has never changed because my philosophy of personal accountability hasn't. Also, I have never believed the government has my best interest as an individual in mind when policy is created. There is a certain inherent level of distrust. I am definately very conservative when it comes to my youngest daughter. However, as conservative as I am, I had many frank conversations with my oldest daughter (sex, drugs, rock and roll etc.). I've always believed the War on Drugs was BS and don't believe pot is the gateway drug they once thought.

Respectfully Fracturedman, even with some level of truth, such generalizations as your's above are questionable. Of course maybe I am an exception to the rule.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM

I agree that people change over time...But most of the things they fight for in youth they fight for in adulthood. I have a feeling that my generation is actually trying to make a difference...but people fight it because it is new and fresh...they cant accept change.

People need to be willing to accept change..give it a try..if it doesnt work...put it back the way it was. But this nation is unwilling to even try.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:38 PM

530 posts, read 650,409 times
Quote:
I Agree on the more carefree assessment regarding youth. However, people tend to become more conservative as they age and start accumulating wealth and perhaps start slowing down. So the youthful attitudes will likely change to varying degrees. Myself? I am just turning 50. Am I one of the older ones? Depends on the issue. My stance on abortion has never changed because my philosophy of personal accountability hasn't. Also, I have never believed the government has my best interest as an individual in mind when policy is created. There is a certain inherent level of distrust. I am definately very conservative when it comes to my youngest daughter. However, as conservative as I am, I had many frank conversations with my oldest daughter (sex, drugs, rock and roll etc.). I've always believed the War on Drugs was BS and don't believe pot is the gateway drug they once thought.

Respectfully Fracturedman, even with some level of truth, such generalizations as your's above are questionable. Of course maybe I am an exception to the rule.
oh wise one. Your words flow as truth to my ears as always! I can agree with you as a whole in this ^ statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies