Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:40 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Sorry, but I don't agree with your last statement. The pro-choice side of this issue is tolerant of the opposition. No one is forcing abortion on anyone. The pro-life side of the issue tolerates no view point but their own and insists that all women, no matter their circumstances, carry their pregnancy to term.

The intolerance exists on only one side of this issue....
...I am pro-life, but I understand that there are times where an abortion is just and not wrong....So tolerance does not only exist on one side.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:48 PM

530 posts, read 650,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
...I am pro-life, but I understand that there are times where an abortion is just and not wrong....So tolerance does not only exist on one side.
We are all Pro ( for ) life. But actually, when you are willing to admit that they are necessary and needed that kind makes you pro- choice. Sorry, know that can be kind of a hard thing to admit ...lol They point ray was trying to make was the same as your point on religion.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:51 PM

I guess then I am in the middle of the two here. because I dont think that a woman should be allowed to have more than 3 abortions and that is pushing it for me. There is no reason to have more than 3.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:55 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
Quote:
I guess then I am in the middle of the two here. because I dont think that a woman should be allowed to have more than 3 abortions and that is pushing it for me. There is no reason to have more than 3.

I can think of plenty of reasons.
For instance, an abusive partner who is raping her and holding her hostage by threatening to harm their existing children if she leaves (a not-common scenario, and an all-too-credible threat; it is difficult-verging-on-impossible to compile enough evidence to have a parent's visitation rights entirely terminated. He would, at some point, have unsupervised access to the children. And even if he didn't, he could still find them and harm them).

The fact is, it is a woman's right to have as many abortions as she feels she needs and as she can afford to procure for herself.
While it is your right to be judgemental, you certainly have no right to interfere in any way.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:05 PM

There is always a choice, an abusive relationship such as this has its options...stay with it...or not. it is that easy....there are places she could go and ways to deal with the abusive male...I dont know about you but I think any man that is abusive should be punished by his peers...by this I mean men who are against abuse...and by punished I mean beaten and maybe even killed.

Abuse is wrong and needs to shown so....if people were afraid that they might lose their life they would think twice about it and seek help. I know I would...think about...it it was, hit a girl and die...would you ever hit a woman?

Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
There is always a choice, an abusive relationship such as this has its options...stay with it...or not. it is that easy....there are places she could go and ways to deal with the abusive male...I dont know about you but I think any man that is abusive should be punished by his peers...by this I mean men who are against abuse...and by punished I mean beaten and maybe even killed.

Abuse is wrong and needs to shown so....if people were afraid that they might lose their life they would think twice about it and seek help. I know I would...think about...it it was, hit a girl and die...would you ever hit a woman?

Did you not read my post?
I'm talking about women who are in abusive relationships (which generally includes sexual abuse of the type that can result in serial unwanted pregnancies) and who are being, in effect, held hostage in that relationship by the man's threats to harm their existing children if she leaves.

You can talk all the hogwash you want about how other men should go beat him to death and yadda-yadda. That's all just foolishness. Nobody's going to do any such thing.
Just like nobody's going to be able to protect those children from their father, if their mother leaves him. Every year there are several cases of non-custodial dads harming or killing their children during a court-mandated visit, to get revenge on mom.
It happens. It happens all too frequently.
It happens frequently enough that the threat of it is highly credible, and tens of thousands of American women are effectively trapped in abusive relationships as we speak, because of the threat to their children if they leave. They feel they have to remain with their abusers and comply with the abuse, because if they don't, the guy will harm their children.

A childless woman can escape from an abusive relationship- it's at least a worthwhile gamble for her to make the effort. If the guy catches and kills her, how much worse off will she really be?
But a mother of small dependent children is a whole different story.
Sometimes she just can't take that chance, and must instead bide her time.
I understand that.
Why don't you?
Why are you babbling about committees of armed vigilantes taking to the street to murder abusers?
What silliness.
We're talking about reality here, and real reasons why real women might need three abortions. Or ten. Or more.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:29 PM

My mom was in an abusive relationship and feard for not her life but her children. She moved up across the country to get away from him...She stood up to him and he went to jail. When he was scheduled to get out we were long gone. There are laws that protect that woman from any form of abuse.

And actually I AS A MAN DO STAND AGAINST ABUSE. I HAVE GONE TO JAIL FOR BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF MEN THAT ABUSE WOMEN. IF REAL MEN HAD THE BALLS TO STAND UP AND DO THIS WITH ME, IT WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM. BUT YOU WOULD RATHER IGNORE IT AND ALLOW IT TO HAPPEN TO WOMEN DAY IN AND DAY OUT.

Because I have this rep of beating up guys who are abusive at any level, people often come to me for help. I am not afraid to die fighting for someone elses freedom. If you are abusive towards a woman and I am able to do something about it...weapon or no weapon I will make you pay.

That is my attitude...if the girl goes back to an abusive relationship I will still help her, however...i make it very clear that if she returns again I will not be there for her...she is choosing to let it happen

If a woman is in a situation like you so put in your scenario...the woman does have an option...its called self defense...if he is raping her...make it so he never uses that tool again...if he is smacking her and hitting her...make so that hand no longer exists...women are seen as week and they are not...these women let themselves be controlled and have an option to allow it to happen...

Old 06-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
My mom was in an abusive relationship and feard for not her life but her children. She moved up across the country to get away from him...She stood up to him and he went to jail. When he was scheduled to get out we were long gone. There are laws that protect that woman from any form of abuse.

And actually I AS A MAN DO STAND AGAINST ABUSE. I HAVE GONE TO JAIL FOR BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF MEN THAT ABUSE WOMEN. IF REAL MEN HAD THE BALLS TO STAND UP AND DO THIS WITH ME, IT WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM. BUT YOU WOULD RATHER IGNORE IT AND ALLOW IT TO HAPPEN TO WOMEN DAY IN AND DAY OUT.

Because I have this rep of beating up guys who are abusive at any level, people often come to me for help. I am not afraid to die fighting for someone elses freedom. If you are abusive towards a woman and I am able to do something about it...weapon or no weapon I will make you pay.

That is my attitude...if the girl goes back to an abusive relationship I will still help her, however...i make it very clear that if she returns again I will not be there for her...she is choosing to let it happen

If a woman is in a situation like you so put in your scenario...the woman does have an option...its called self defense...if he is raping her...make it so he never uses that tool again...if he is smacking her and hitting her...make so that hand no longer exists...women are seen as week and they are not...these women let themselves be controlled and have an option to allow it to happen...

None of this gives you the right to interfere with women's right to control their own bodies.
Nobody can stop you from being judgemental, but you have absolutely no right to interfere with women exercising their rights.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:36 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
None of this gives you the right to interfere with women's right to control their own bodies.
Nobody can stop you from being judgemental, but you have absolutely no right to interfere with women exercising their rights.
The unborn has a right to a life. The woman currently has a lega right to kill. The unborn has no rights

Old 06-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The unborn has a right to a life. The woman currently has a lega right to kill. The unborn has no rights

Nobody has any "right" to "live" inside somebody else's body, if that person doesn't want them there. Not even the born.

And the only recourse prolifers have to this statement of obvious fact is, "Well, women shouldn't be having sex then, if they're not willing to give up their human rights."

Which of course is a digression into ludicrous whining which nobody sensible pays any attention to.
i mean, good luck trying to take that argument before the supreme court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies