Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider George Tiller to be a hero?
Yes 20 28.99%
No 49 71.01%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Post proof....and it can't be in the form of a cartoon....

"The interviewer asked if Tiller ever rejected a patient. Dr. McHugh said he'd seen no such records. "I'm saying that looking at these records, and what they were employed to do, I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't satisfy those criteria." He added, "From these records -- anybody could have gotten an abortion if they wanted one."

RealChoice: An analysis of those "medically necessary" Tiller abortions

Late Abortion Lies: They're Only Done for Health Reasons

"In 1987, the AGI conducted a survey of patients in 30 abortion facilities in which at least 400 abortions were performed annually and in which they performed abortions at 16 or more weeks of gestation.[14] The 30 abortion facilities represented each of the 4 regions of the country and the average patient response rate was 80%. Of the 1900 women in the survey, 420 (22.1%) had been pregnant for 16 weeks or more. When asked about the most important reasons for their delay in having an abortion, 71% reported that they did not recognize that they were pregnant or misjudged gestational age. Forty-eight percent had difficulty arranging for the abortion (particularly raising money), 33% were afraid to tell their parents or partner, and 24% reported great difficulty deciding to have an abortion. Women having an abortion later in pregnancy were also more likely to report personal health problems, possible fetal health problems, rape, or incest."

Source: Journal of the American Medical Association

Old 06-07-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No. He was a doctor.

So was Mengele. What's your point?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I don't think he was a hero - but he continued his highly controversial line of work in spite of incredible dangers to himself and his family and that deserves respect.... I don't think he was an evil man and the work he did he must have been passionate about to respect a woman's right to choose. I mean who better to choose than a mother, it is inside her - not inside the pocket of the lawless religious right.

"he continued his highly controversial line of work in spite of incredible dangers to himself and his family"

You just described a mafia hit man or a heroin mule. Take your pick.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
I'm only guessing here, but I can't imagine too many jobs that it took more courage to perform. So if courage is considered a heroic trait, I think you've got to consider it for a moment.

I just realized we agree, but I'm willing to attach the hero label.
Then you seriously lack imagination!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Jeeze, you have to wonder how bad a doctor would have to be, if this was the only job he could get.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
If people are against late term abortion or any term abortion... educate young men and young woman - do everything you can to encourage abstinence or birth control... but never encourage murder of a human being and always respect the law....

So no civil rights movement? Dr. King should have given some speeches and left it at that? No Viet Nam war protests that involved burning draft cards or moving to Canada since that would be illegal? No Revolutionary War since that would be treason? Slaves in the South should have stayed put since escape to the North was against the law?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"The interviewer asked if Tiller ever rejected a patient. Dr. McHugh said he'd seen no such records. "I'm saying that looking at these records, and what they were employed to do, I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't satisfy those criteria." He added, "From these records -- anybody could have gotten an abortion if they wanted one."

"In 1987, the AGI conducted a survey of patients in 30 abortion facilities in which at least 400 abortions were performed annually and in which they performed abortions at 16 or more weeks of gestation.[14] The 30 abortion facilities represented each of the 4 regions of the country and the average patient response rate was 80%. Of the 1900 women in the survey, 420 (22.1%) had been pregnant for 16 weeks or more. When asked about the most important reasons for their delay in having an abortion, 71% reported that they did not recognize that they were pregnant or misjudged gestational age. Forty-eight percent had difficulty arranging for the abortion (particularly raising money), 33% were afraid to tell their parents or partner, and 24% reported great difficulty deciding to have an abortion. Women having an abortion later in pregnancy were also more likely to report personal health problems, possible fetal health problems, rape, or incest."

As soon as I find my abacus I'll figure out how long ago 1987 was but meanwhile ,

1.who is Dr. McHugh?

2. links should be credible sources, yours are as hilarious as a cartoon

3.I'm glad women have the choice to get an abortion any time they want despite the attempt by controlling misogynists to take out their sexual frustrations by attempting to control women.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Need?

"Medical records subpoenaed by prosecutors in Kansas indicate Dr. Tiller approved some late-term abortions on the grounds that the women suffered from anxiety or depression."

Common Ground on Late-Term Abortion: Anguish - WSJ.com

United States

See also: Reasons for abortions. In 1987, the Alan Guttmacher Institute collected questionnaires from 1,900 women in the United States who came to clinics to have abortions. Of the 1,900 questioned, 420 had been pregnant for 16 or more weeks. These 420 women were asked to choose among a list of reasons they had not obtained the abortions earlier in their pregnancies. The results were as follows:[3]

71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents
24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion
8% Woman waited for her relationship to change
8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion
6% Something changed after woman became pregnant
6% Woman didn't know timing is important
5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortion
2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
11% Other

Late-term abortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So this accounts for 222% of abortions. Wikipedia needs to do a little editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post

I actually had an ectopic pregnancy which ruptured myself; my left fallopian tube just exploded. I lost both the tube and the corresponding ovary...talk about
pain, and I very nearly died. If I'd had a clue, I would certainly have had an abortion. Would you have had me die to "protect" a fetus that was lost when the tube burst anyway? There are more shades of gray in every issue than things being simply black and white, and diametrically opposed.
I'm sorry for your loss. A friend actually had two ectopics. The problem with ectopics is that there's often no evidence that the pregnancy is ectopic until it ruptures. What a ghastly experience.

Quote:

Again, the numbers add up to waaaay more than 100%, in this case 176%. Obviously this was a multiple choice question.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:03 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
So this accounts for 222% of abortions. Wikipedia needs to do a little editing.
Were they only able to chose only 1 reason?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I would say so.
He has saved countless lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies