Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Can you explain why it's only Americans who have problems with openly gay people in their military? Why is every other military in the modern world able to deal with this issue without telling gay people to stay quiet? The fact that heterosexuals are able to be in the military and talk about their girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, and wives without fear of being fired amounts to special rights for heterosexuals.
Well, other than what I said before...the "discomfort" level that heteros might feel if they're sharing barracks with homosexuals, then no. I can't explain why Americans have problems with openy gay people in their military. But then, I can't imagine why anybody, gay or straight, would even want to join the military in the first place, let alone complain about being shut out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:40 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Well, other than what I said before...the "discomfort" level that heteros might feel if they're sharing barracks with homosexuals, then no. I can't explain why Americans have problems with openy gay people in their military. But then, I can't imagine why anybody, gay or straight, would even want to join the military in the first place, let alone complain about being shut out.
Well, I can't imagine why someone would want to be in the military either, that's just my opinion. But it's beyond offensive to have these people fight for not only their lives but also yours & then to be shut out simply because they're gay. Could people be more ungrateful??

Old 06-21-2009, 07:54 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well, I can't imagine why someone would want to be in the military either, that's just my opinion. But it's beyond offensive to have these people fight for not only their lives but also yours & then to be shut out simply because they're gay. Could people be more ungrateful??

People are out there dying for this country...ya know, the same country that allows us to have some pretty free speech when it comes to the internet...compared to other countries.
Of course people want to focus on things like someone's sexual orientation and myths about gays wanting to have relations with those in their barracks. It sounds like something from the 1950s. "Well, if you have homosexuals in the military, they will want to try something with their fellow soldiers." Give me a break!

It just goes back to beliefs people having that gays are attracted to everyone of the same sex and I would think it would die out over time but I guess not.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

People are out there dying for this country...ya know, the same country that allows us to have some pretty free speech when it comes to the internet...compared to other countries.
Of course people want to focus on things like someone's sexual orientation and myths about gays wanting to have relations with those in their barracks. It sounds like something from the 1950s. "Well, if you have homosexuals in the military, they will want to try something with their fellow soldiers." Give me a break!

It just goes back to beliefs people having that gays are attracted to everyone of the same sex and I would think it would die out over time but I guess not.
I know, if this were true, I'd be trying to hump every man on the street, just because I'm a heterosexual. Um no, PLEASE, I have my standards.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I agree.

I think most of us know that the biggest obstacle to gay rights is the Fundamental Christian nutjobs that still have such a foothold in the U.S. Until they lose their clout, it's an uphill battle for gay rights.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

That's not fair. The point is that whether a person is attracted to you or not doesn't matter. If I'm in a shower, and a male co-worker or co-soldier gets in the stall next to me, I'm going to be self-conscious and uncomfortable. It wouldn't matter if he is repulsed by me, because that's not what it's about.

Many (if not most) straight women see lesbian women in much the way we see men...as somebody who COULD potentially be sexually attracted to us. And that would make us uncomfortable to be sharing quarters with them.

Be fair here. It's common sense.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Many (if not most) straight women see lesbian women in much the way we see men...as somebody who COULD potentially be sexually attracted to us. And that would make us uncomfortable to be sharing quarters with them.
I honestly wish that separate shower stalls could be constructed to resolve this problem since that seems to be the main complaint. It may seem like an odd idea, but everything new starts out as an odd idea. I bet people argued against allowing women in the military because new living quarters would have to be built. I'm not saying gays should be totally separated, but this shower issue almost seems like a red herring to me. I mean - how much time does a shower take out of a typical soldier's day? Three minutes?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
whats up with these wierd hyphens?
gay-american whats next this will be on census and application

Old 06-21-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I honestly wish that separate shower stalls could be constructed to resolve this problem since that seems to be the main complaint. It may seem like an odd idea, but everything new starts out as an odd idea. I bet people argued against allowing women in the military because new living quarters would have to be built. I'm not saying gays should be totally separated, but this shower issue almost seems like a red herring to me. I mean - how much time does a shower take out of a typical soldier's day? Three minutes?
I agree.

I have a close friend whose husband is a fireman. When the first female firefighter was assigned to his station, an entire separate area had to be built for her so that she could sleep/shower/dress away from the guys. It seemed like common sense to me because I can't imagine how she would have felt comfortable sharing with all the men.

And AGAIN, to straight women, we approach lesbians in much the same way we do straight men...as somebody who could "potentially" be sexually attracted to us, so it would be uncomfortable to be undressing/showering/sleeping in close quarters with them.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
gay-american whats next this will be on census and application
I hope it is, just to annoy you.

Actually, same-sex couples will be counted by the Census in 2010. Won't that make you happy?
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Married same-sex couples will be counted as such in 2010, Census Bureau officials said, reversing a decision of the Bush administration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/us...us.html?ref=us
Just one more reason why I'm glad Obama won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies