Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times

Advertisements

I'm grateful I never started smoking, what a dirty habit. Do people still think it looks "cool"? Hahah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:35 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,300,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
why does the color of your skin matter who you vote for?
Ahhhh .... because Obama is Black? Is this a trick question?

- Reel

Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,300,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Are we supposed to care who you will vote for?
I'm sorry Fitz but you missed the point. The point is not who the OP will vote for. The point is not even this cigarette peice of legislation. The point is that Obama wants to be able to control every aspect of you life. The point is that Obama wants to garner as much power as he can. Obama wants to control business and the economy. Obama wants to get as close as he can to being a dictator.

Valerie Jarrett let it slip in one interview during the transition when she said, "We want to be ready to rule on day one." Ready to rule! That should be ready to govern should it not?

The OP makes an interesting and controversial point. I believe he is spot on. I'm sorry that you missed the point.

- Reel

Old 06-28-2009, 06:00 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
This is the LAST STRAW. I would vote for anyone, up to and including a ham sandwhich before I ever vote for Obama in 2012.

Today, Obama signed the single most fascist piece of legislation since the Patriot Act. An anti-smoking bill which bans any flavor in tobacco, including my cloves!

Washington's Marlboro Men - WSJ.com

What the hell! I mean, is it bad for me? YES, I KNOW. Do I smoke in front of people who don't smoke? NO. So, as an adult, I am no longer allowed to do with my body what I want to do with my body. Thanks, Mein Furher, for running my life better then I can run it

I mean, America has an epidemic of obesity that is killing people left and right...so, why doesn't Obama ban the flavor chocolate? Why stop with kreteks?

The whole thing is absurd and really has got me angry. And no, I AM STILL NOT QUITTING! IF ANYTHING, THIS LAW MAKES ME WANNA SMOKE MORE OUT OF SPITE!

I will either A) buy them from the internet where I am sure I can get them on there somewhere from Canada or something, because the law does not effect imports or B), buy pipe tobacco and add spices and roll my own damn cloves.

And you know, people are saying how great it is to have a "pro-choice" president who respects a woman's right to a choose...but what about MY RIGHT TO CHOOSE how the hell I want to poison my body!?

KEEP YOUR LAWS OF OF MY BODY AND OUT OF MY LUNGS!

I am 27, black, and from the blue state of New Jersey, and there is no way in hell I would ever vote for this Fascist piece of human filth ever again.
Just because you have black skin doesn't mean your 'black'.
Things have changed. It's more complicated being black today
and it requires the proper political affiliation. Ask Ward Connerly,
Clarence Thomas, Bill Cosby etc.
Conservatives don't care about the color of your skin.
It's the content of your character that matters.

And by the way the President never did quit smoking.
How is that working for him?
Does he have to go to the rose garden?
What about the second hand smoke that's killing his servants and guards?
Kinda makes you wonder about his judgement and commitment to his daughters. Is he smoking around them too! What a poor example of a leader and father. Someone needs to contact child protective services before it's too late. I bet he's smoking right now .....................
^
From time to time I like to try on being a libracrat just to get the feel of it.
The result is always the same and ends with me needing a long hot disinfecting shower.

Last edited by robertjohnson; 06-28-2009 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: misplaced vowels

Old 06-28-2009, 06:33 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
Quote:
AMEN!

I am not sure if I made a mistake because McCain was an idiot, and it was a case of "damned if you don't, damned if you do", but if the choice was Huckabee or Obama, I would vote for Huckabee in a heart beat and the same probably for Romney.
which goes to question your choices in life since one would think you would consider what is truly important regarding the Presidency.If you couldn't decide between Huckabee & Obama and see the glaring differences between both of them politically then perhaps you should refrain from voting at all.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:47 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonakki View Post
I bet you will be singing a different tune when you get lung cancer from your smoking habit.
Tobacco abuse/nicotine addiction is something that affects ALL of us! Who will be footing your hospital bills when you end up in Emergency room for emphysema exacerbation or on hospice for terminal Lung cancer? Tax Payers so as a tax payer I'm all for Obama's bill!

anything to make it harder for people to keep smoking is good in my book
That is some of the worst logic I have heard.

So should we ban fast food, that causes obesity. I do not want to foot the hospital bills for your fast food intake. Lets also ban elevator use for anyone except the disabled and those transporting heavy or bulky objects excersize is good.

While we are at it lets pass a mandatory ban on hot showers in areas with city water. They cause cancer by drastically increasing the chlorine intake via osmosis.

Lets also ban firearms. I do not want to pay hospital bills for accidental gunshot wounds.

Lets also mandate that people excersize 2 hours a day, if they don't we fine them that will save on hospital bills.

Can you see the problem with this? It is about freedom people chose to smoke will face the harmful effects, but it is a choice just like all of those other activaties.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-28-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,990 times
I admit that I don't smoke but I don't see this as being a completely bad thing. He's not going to ban cigarettes altogether. Maybe it's time that the tobacco industry became regulated. After all, how long did it take before they finally admitted that nicotine was bad for people? Do they even admit it now? The sorry fact is that they knew long before admitting because they knew it could potentially harm sales. This kind practice is one of the things that are truly wrong and evil in this country.

As far as fast food, that's a tough one. I've read that McDonald's can become addicting for some people. If that's true, it isn't nearly as addictive as nicotine is. People shouldn't eat Big Mac's every day and most people don't. The problem is that some people do and they will likely die due to heart disease or obesity-related causes. But at the end of the day, fast food is just that - food. It can be part of a relatively healthy diet and serves a purpose. Nicotine, while some it enjoy, isn't part of anything other than a lethal habit. You can't subsist on cigarettes but you can on McDonald's.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,659 times
Quote:
This is the LAST STRAW. I would vote for anyone, up to and including a ham sandwhich before I ever vote for Obama in 2012.

Today, Obama signed the single most fascist piece of legislation since the Patriot Act. An anti-smoking bill which bans any flavor in tobacco, including my cloves!

Washington's Marlboro Men - WSJ.com

What the hell! I mean, is it bad for me? YES, I KNOW. Do I smoke in front of people who don't smoke? NO. So, as an adult, I am no longer allowed to do with my body what I want to do with my body. Thanks, Mein Furher, for running my life better then I can run it

I mean, America has an epidemic of obesity that is killing people left and right...so, why doesn't Obama ban the flavor chocolate? Why stop with kreteks?

The whole thing is absurd and really has got me angry. And no, I AM STILL NOT QUITTING! IF ANYTHING, THIS LAW MAKES ME WANNA SMOKE MORE OUT OF SPITE!

I will either A) buy them from the internet where I am sure I can get them on there somewhere from Canada or something, because the law does not effect imports or B), buy pipe tobacco and add spices and roll my own damn cloves.

And you know, people are saying how great it is to have a "pro-choice" president who respects a woman's right to a choose...but what about MY RIGHT TO CHOOSE how the hell I want to poison my body!?

KEEP YOUR LAWS OF OF MY BODY AND OUT OF MY LUNGS!

I am 27, black, and from the blue state of New Jersey, and there is no way in hell I would ever vote for this Fascist piece of human filth ever again.
Thank you, I hope there are more of you out there. We desperately need to get obama out of office.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:27 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I admit that I don't smoke but I don't see this as being a completely bad thing. He's not going to ban cigarettes altogether. Maybe it's time that the tobacco industry became regulated. After all, how long did it take before they finally admitted that nicotine was bad for people? Do they even admit it now? The sorry fact is that they knew long before admitting because they knew it could potentially harm sales. This kind practice is one of the things that are truly wrong and evil in this country.

As far as fast food, that's a tough one. I've read that McDonald's can become addicting for some people. If that's true, it isn't nearly as addictive as nicotine is. People shouldn't eat Big Mac's every day and most people don't. The problem is that some people do and they will likely die due to heart disease or obesity-related causes. But at the end of the day, fast food is just that - food. It can be part of a relatively healthy diet and serves a purpose. Nicotine, while some it enjoy, isn't part of anything other than a lethal habit. You can't subsist on cigarettes but you can on McDonald's.
You really cannot subsist on McDonald's and have a healthy lifestyle. Chances are if you try you will have all sorts of weight related problems on par with smoking.

As to regulation that is a joke, this bill was bought and paid for by Phillip Morris, which was enthusiastically supportive of it. Read it, it bans cigarette advertising. (this will not effect big brands that are well known, but will harm smaller companies), additionally it reduces the amount of nicotine in cigarettes, tell me what do you think that will do? (Answer: it will facilitate the sale of more cigs as people will need to smoke more to get their fix). Finally it bans flavored cigarettes. (Again a move to help big tobacco as people who smoke flavored niche brands ie Kreteks will move to regular cigs, made by the big companies when they become illegal).

Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Thank you, I hope there are more of you out there. We desperately need to get obama out of office.
Are you pro-smoking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies