Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Show me a national election where a significantly high percentage of African Americans didn't vote for the DEMOCRATIC candidate. And ALL of them have been CAUCASIAN up to now.
While not incorrect, I find it very hard to believe that anyone would be convinced that the black-on-black vote was not a factor in this election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

While not incorrect, I find it very hard to believe that anyone would be convinced that the black-on-black vote was not a factor in this election.
So they're voting in their best interest when they're voting for a WHITE Democrat, but only vote for a BLACK Democrat because he's black.

Gotcha.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times
Quote:
Why don't you take a deep breath and try to think logically about this for a moment.

This is a product that is a well-known carcinogenic and addictive drug, that is linked to the death of nearly half a million Americans every year. It is a product filled with chemicals that are ingested into the body. And because of that fact, regulation of it is now being moved to the Food and Drug Administration.
I know it's bad for me but guess what? IT'S MY DAMN BODY! Who is the government to tell me what I can and cannot do to my own body?

Quote:
No one's telling you that you can't smoke cigarettes. But you are going to be informed, the drugs and additives in it are going to be regulated and the deceptive practices used to entice children to start this addiction will be banned.

I fail to see why this is such a bad thing.
I am informer: smoking is bad for me, SO WHAT!? I enjoy cloves and ABSOLUTELY HATE the taste of menthols, but my cigarrets are now illegal. Why? I mean, the McDonald's Big Mac doesn't have a warning label on it that says "SUGEON GENERAL WARNING: this product is loaded with saturated fat and MSG as well as sodium and sugar. Consuming this product can cause obesity, heart disease, and diabetes."

I mean, ON CIGARRET is marketed as a "kid's cigarret", and yet, all the fast food joints have "kid's meals" that are LOADED with fat and calories and no one in Washington is saying anything about that (despite the fact that childhood obesity is an epidemic) Why is that? ohhh, yahhh.....maybe because the fast food industry has A HELL OF ALLOT more money then "big tobacco", which, in this case, is the third world nation of Indonesia selling their national cigarrets, "kretets" to the American market.

Quote:
Jill, former 18 year smoker (seriously, you really ought to quit - it wreaks havoc on your body!).

I smoke about a pack a month . Not a day, not a week, A PACK A MONTH.

Ohh...and do you eat meat? You should be vegan, because eating meat wreaks havoc on your body! 15 Reasons to Stop Eating Meat (http://www.zenzibar.com/Articles/15_reasons.asp - broken link)

I suppose if Dir Furher Obama banned the selling of meat you would be okay with that, too?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM

224 posts, read 378,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I voted for Ron Paul in the primaries, and will probably vote for a moderate, non-neocon warmonger republican, like Chuck Hagel.

Whoever you vote for, I commend you for having the intellectual honesty and courage to go against the cult of personality and call it like you see it!

Please talk to as many people as you can and try to open minds to the reality you are not too blind to see.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
This is the LAST STRAW. I would vote for anyone, up to and including a ham sandwhich before I ever vote for Obama in 2012.

Today, Obama signed the single most fascist piece of legislation since the Patriot Act. An anti-smoking bill which bans any flavor in tobacco, including my cloves!

Washington's Marlboro Men - WSJ.com

What the hell! I mean, is it bad for me? YES, I KNOW. Do I smoke in front of people who don't smoke? NO. So, as an adult, I am no longer allowed to do with my body what I want to do with my body. Thanks, Mein Furher, for running my life better then I can run it

I mean, America has an epidemic of obesity that is killing people left and right...so, why doesn't Obama ban the flavor chocolate? Why stop with kreteks?

The whole thing is absurd and really has got me angry. And no, I AM STILL NOT QUITTING! IF ANYTHING, THIS LAW MAKES ME WANNA SMOKE MORE OUT OF SPITE!

I will either A) buy them from the internet where I am sure I can get them on there somewhere from Canada or something, because the law does not effect imports or B), buy pipe tobacco and add spices and roll my own damn cloves.

And you know, people are saying how great it is to have a "pro-choice" president who respects a woman's right to a choose...but what about MY RIGHT TO CHOOSE how the hell I want to poison my body!?

KEEP YOUR LAWS OF OF MY BODY AND OUT OF MY LUNGS!

I am 27, black, and from the blue state of New Jersey, and there is no way in hell I would ever vote for this Fascist piece of human filth ever again.
Please realize that that signing of that Congressional bill was not an act of dictatorship. I know that Obama is not in favor of smoking although he does it, I believe he is trying to quit.

I started smoking in 1950 when I was almost 18 and stopped in 1980 when I was 48. I was sure I got in under the wire but it seems that my chronic bronchitis is actually early emphysema. Yes I am an old man and probably won't die because of emphysema as my father did at 97 but I don't want you to suffer as he did in his last three years. Stop now because these days people know the harm it does. I would do anything to convince you that it really isn't worth it and it isn't really hard to stop when you really decide to do it.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I started smoking in 1950 when I was almost 18 and stopped in 1980 when I was 48. I was sure I got in under the wire but it seems that my chronic bronchitis is actually early emphysema. Yes I am an old man and probably won't die because of emphysema as my father did at 97 but I don't want you to suffer as he did in his last three years. Stop now because these days people know the harm it does. I would do anything to convince you that it really isn't worth it and it isn't really hard to stop when you really decide to do it.

I know someone who died of a heart attack because he was VERY obese. His favorite fast food restaurant was McDonalds...would you go off on someone and plead with them to stop eating McDonalds?

I smoke a pack a month. That's 1 cigarret ever two to three days. Not a pack a day habit to say the least. I like smoking: Nothing in this world can top the bliss of a nice, hot coffee and a smooth, flavorful Djarum...and, of course, cafine is also bad for me, so should I stop drinking coffee too and should congress move to force every Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts to become a Carrot Juice stand?

My body, MY CHOICE.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes it does. It bans cloves and I am not sure, because I haven't read my way through it enough, but it may or may not ban shisha under the catagory of "moist flavored tobacco". (If someone could answer this I would appreciate it) I also will not smoke regular cigarettes for various reasons, so as an adult this bill would essentially prevent me from smoking. I voted democratic ever since I could vote back in 2004 and will tell you because of this and all of their broken promises as to the war, fiscal responsiblity, corporate welfare, individual freedom etc. I will not be voting for them in 2010.
Well, you can always order cloves by the cartoon directly from Indonesia, as it is only illegal to sell them here in the US and not illegal to buy them from another country. Here's a sight I plan to use once the cartoons I OF COURSE am going to run out and buy tomorrow run out Clove Cigarettes Online Shop

This thing is REALLY going to hurt local speciality tobacco shops which have already been struggling with the bad economy. Thanks Obama, way to help small businesses

Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:

I know it's bad for me but guess what? IT'S MY DAMN BODY! Who is the government to tell me what I can and cannot do to my own body?
Feel free to keep right on smoking -- the government will not stop you.

But you're no longer free to take Fen-phen because it will kill you. I don't see you running around screaming how the government is telling you you're not allowed to take diet pills now. I mean, it's your own damn body, right? Why is that?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Feel free to keep right on smoking -- the government will not stop you.

But you're no longer free to take Fen-phen because it will kill you. I don't see you running around screaming how the government is telling you you're not allowed to take diet pills now. I mean, it's your own damn body, right? Why is that?
I still owe Chuck Schummer a slap in the face for banning Ephedra. The only people who got hurt from it were people who took WAY TOO MUCH. It was energy in a bottle! Ohh well, at least I can still drink two Red Bulls followed by a extra large Dunkin Donuts Coffee. Maybe I better not say that outloud, or BIG BROTHER will hear me via the Patriot Act, which Obama has not gotten rid of as promised, and ban coffee and Red Bull too.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Oh, silly us. We were not informed that ciggys were bad. Thanks Jill and Obama. We just didn't know.

Jill, no doubt still thinking Barry is a smarty pants.

Hey, Jill: Riddle us this....how many people have died of lung cancer and copd since the Surgeon General warnings started in the 60's - 70's?
I know the number but not exact. The answer is too damned many. Remember that I smoked for 30 years and will suffer the rest of my life. Everybody with enough self-discipline and intelligence to understand what they are being told would quit, yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies