Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
What Beanandpumkin and other homeschooling parents have stated previously, if a subject is beyond a parent's expertise, they will enroll their child in a local community college or hire a tutor.
Yes, this. If/when my children are ready for higher math that they are having trouble understanding with my help, then off to the community college they will go.

And I think that some don't realize that the point of homeschooling is to teach kids how to think for themselves. Just as in math, you don't memorize the answer to every single problem out there. With learning, you learn HOW to learn. In high school, I learned a lot of names and dates that I have since forgotten, and a good bit of ancient history. While I may have learned cause and effect in my AP US History class, I have long forgotten it. I think I was too busy flirting with the boy I sat next to... but I still got a B in the class, which, on a weighted scale, earned me a 4.0.

As an adult, however, I am perfectly able to research anything that I want to. This is what I'm teaching my children. In between learning about adjectives and phonics, and multiplication and fractions, they're learning how to research. My son is very interested in pirates. He has several books, all written for adults, about pirates which he drags out to read quite often. He undoubtedly knows a LOT more about pirates than I do. It is a fallacy that children need to be spoon fed information. Once they can read well, they can simply take off if not constrained by subject matter. You don't need a school textbook and a US History teacher to understand the implications of the Industrial Revolution... this information is readily available to anyone who wants to know about it. There are outside classes (actually, my son just finished a Civil War class given by a historical society), the Internet, libraries (with inter library loan), museums, and a plethora of other learning tools at their fingertips all the time.

Learning does not begin at age 5 and end at age 17 (or 21), and nothing anyone says will convince me that children, especially *my* children, "need," or would even fare better with, public education. Other people are, of course, entitled to different opinions, and can make different choices for their own children. Public school will never go away... and I wouldn't want it to, just as I don't wish other government programs away. It's not something I (and several million other parents, counting private schoolers as well as homeschoolers) choose to utilize, but overall, it's necessary in today's society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I wonder how much of "home schooling" is "home propagandizing" and/or home proselytizing". In addition, given the economic realities of these times, home schooling is a luxury affordable only by the families that do not require both adults employed at professional wages to make a basic lower middle class living.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Care to back that up with facts? You cannot say with certainty that all homeschooled students are further ahead than students in regular school. Just as in regular school, there will be children falling behind, and children excelling. You can't make such a blanket statement.

if you dont mind reading.

Research Findings

Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I missed out on all of the above. I also missed out on sex, drinking and drug use. I was not homeschooled.

It is easy to make generalizations. Home schooing works well for some. Regular schooling works well for others. Do what works best for you and your family.

did you graduate in the last 5 years?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Louis Armstrong dropped out of school at 11 years old to play in the streets for money. Is that what you consider "homeschool?"

I would call that a failure of the public school system, and he was not being homeschooled.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I graduated from high school in 1966. I did not miss out on the sex and drinking. Thankfully.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder how much of "home schooling" is "home propagandizing" and/or home proselytizing". In addition, given the economic realities of these times, home schooling is a luxury affordable only by the families that do not require both adults employed at professional wages to make a basic lower middle class living.

Rather than public school propagandizing or proselytizing?

You are correct the folks who homeschool are probably more affluent since they only have one person working and therfore probably more educated.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Yes, this. If/when my children are ready for higher math that they are having trouble understanding with my help, then off to the community college they will go.

And I think that some don't realize that the point of homeschooling is to teach kids how to think for themselves. Just as in math, you don't memorize the answer to every single problem out there. With learning, you learn HOW to learn. In high school, I learned a lot of names and dates that I have since forgotten, and a good bit of ancient history. While I may have learned cause and effect in my AP US History class, I have long forgotten it. I think I was too busy flirting with the boy I sat next to... but I still got a B in the class, which, on a weighted scale, earned me a 4.0.

As an adult, however, I am perfectly able to research anything that I want to. This is what I'm teaching my children. In between learning about adjectives and phonics, and multiplication and fractions, they're learning how to research. My son is very interested in pirates. He has several books, all written for adults, about pirates which he drags out to read quite often. He undoubtedly knows a LOT more about pirates than I do. It is a fallacy that children need to be spoon fed information. Once they can read well, they can simply take off if not constrained by subject matter. You don't need a school textbook and a US History teacher to understand the implications of the Industrial Revolution... this information is readily available to anyone who wants to know about it. There are outside classes (actually, my son just finished a Civil War class given by a historical society), the Internet, libraries (with inter library loan), museums, and a plethora of other learning tools at their fingertips all the time.

Learning does not begin at age 5 and end at age 17 (or 21), and nothing anyone says will convince me that children, especially *my* children, "need," or would even fare better with, public education. Other people are, of course, entitled to different opinions, and can make different choices for their own children. Public school will never go away... and I wouldn't want it to, just as I don't wish other government programs away. It's not something I (and several million other parents, counting private schoolers as well as homeschoolers) choose to utilize, but overall, it's necessary in today's society.
You continue to oversimplify and, in the process, demean the teaching profession. Schools do not spoon feed information to their students; they do teach research skills; they do not teach students to memorize the answers to math problems. It is obvious that you have very little regard for teachers and schools - the public schools in your area should be very grateful that your children are being home schooled.

Your children appear to be bright and without learning problems - you are very fortunate. You appear to know what higher order thinking skills are and are also able to recognize them when you observe them. Not all parents possess your skills.

You say you will whisk you children to the community college when they are in need of instruction that you are unable to provide. I don't believe that young teens belong in the company of older teens/young adults, particularly young teens who are not used to being part of a diverse population or making decisions independent of their parent(s).

You say that your high school experience provided little or no learning because you were busy flirting. Have you not considered that the flirting prepared you for the dating experience, which in turn prepared you for making a (hopefully) good decision when choosing a life partner? You will be depriving your children of this particular learning experience.

I don't understand why home schooling parents must denigrate teachers and the public school system in order to justify their decisions to control every aspect of their children's lives. They're your kids, do what you want with them...but don't bash what others choose to do with their kids in the process.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
did you graduate in the last 5 years?
I graduated in the late 80s. I believe the teen preg rates where higher then.

My point was that my PARENTS raised me so that I would not participate in certain behaviors. If you don't want your kids to have sex or do drugs, you need to raise them that way. You don't need to shelter then from public schools. Just raise them with morals and values.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
I wholeheartedly support a parent's right to homeschool their children provided that their kids can prove they are passing the State's minimum requirements. Sort of what newtowli was saying earlier.

Personally, I would homeschool my child up to a certain age (say 7th grade) and let them into the public school setting where by the time they hit their Freshman year in High School, my kids would be acclimated to the school environment, made new friends, and be eligible to participate in all sports (because my child will be a tremendous athlete dammit!!!!).

In any event, I went to public schools my whole life and am very thankful that I had terrific teachers who taught me as opposed to lecture to me or indoctrinate me into ANY beliefs. How was I lucky to get such teachers? Parents in the community demanded it, and were willing to pay a bit more so that the school system had the resources it needed. Education starts at home, regardless if you homeschool or not.

The best answer to the question about whether or you not you should send your kids to public school or homeschool? Both! Go over what they did in class that day and supplement what they are learning with your own experiences. Check over their homework each night perhaps giving them a small reward when finished. Let your kids know that it's ok to not know an answer or that they aren't stupid if they are struggling with a particular subject. Enforce effort. Checking over their work will help YOU see where your child may be having trouble and then you can take steps in correcting it along with the teacher. Doing so will probably make school much more enjoyable.

Just my opinion. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies