Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
You complain if someone on FS buys junk food, and you would complain if they were getting organic veggies and good cuts of meat too.

Can't you find something else to complain about? We just went through this argument a few days ago...
I missed that argument. I have never complained about a person eating healthy...even if I am paying for it. I don't know where you got that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
How about a tax rebate then. Step on the scales and get a rebate.
Humm, that might work. I was originally thinking more along the lines of traditional ridicule and shunning, but I am pretty progressive so I would give the tax rebate thing a try.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
silly
It is a little. However, the issue of being overweight in America is not. If you want health care reform, the best place to start is reducing the cost to treat people. It is a fact that overweight people have a higher rate of illness. We as a society have to pay for that one way or another. Why not give people incentives or disincentives to be more healthy. Some of my suggestions were silly, but the topic is not.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM

[quote=Lucidus;9658529]Humm, that might work. I was originally thinking more along the lines of traditional ridicule and shunning,

I think that may eventually be a hate crime.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,384 times
A fat tax is easy, it's like a stupid tax. Just tax the things the fat like to buy.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 AM

769 posts, read 887,440 times
I am traditionally for personal choice being left alone, if you want to maintain an unhealthy body weight, that's great, more power to you, don't bother me. But with UHC, food stamps, health insurance costs (mine costs more cause of 45 yr olds having heart attacks/diabetes/HBP), I'm am no longer not bothered, and if I am going to be burdened with cost, I should have a say.

That being said, I would support a fat tax, if this era of regulating everyones resource usage and individual climate damage comes to play, it only fits.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,799 times
Last time I was in a grocery store, I didn't notice any shortages.

What environmental problems? The air and waters are pretty clean by me, are you in the U.S. or China?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is a little. However, the issue of being overweight in America is not. If you want health care reform, the best place to start is reducing the cost to treat people. It is a fact that overweight people have a higher rate of illness. We as a society have to pay for that one way or another. Why not give people incentives or disincentives to be more healthy. Some of my suggestions were silly, but the topic is not.
The topic is very silly, honestly, lets tax hispanics more because beans give you gas and that is bad for the environment. Most people know that really skinny guy who eats like a horse, where does he fit into it? What about personal responsibility, if you don't take care of yourself, your junk is going to break. Not unlike owning a home or a car, if you don't do preventative maintenance, it's going to cost you in the long run. The more we are broke down into little groups, all to be punished in some way for "the greater good" the less liberty we have, and we relenquish more control to a corrupt organization. And no, we shouldn't have to pay for one another, we should do well for others, by doing well for ourselves.

Why are humans the only species bent on saving the shallow end of the gene pool?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:37 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't care to punish fat people - I could stand to lose some weight myself - but I do think it would be beneficial to have a concrete reason for losing weight in this case the avoidance of tax.
I also think that things like a health club membership and membership in organizations such as weight watchers should be tax deductable.
I think being unattractive and unhealthy are pretty good reasons to avoid obesity in the first place.

But I do like the idea of healthy activities (as well as many other activies) getting a tax break.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I'm fine with a fat tax (though wouldn't it be great to be able to implement a douchebag tax as well? Ah, I can dream.....)

Still one thing about your post struck me - food stamps. Years ago I worked in a grocery store and yes, people on food stamps bought all the boxed processed foods. But there is a reason for this - its cheaper. They get more bang for their stamp so to speak. If the foodstamp program was revamped to provide more money but have the requirement that the people on it could only buy nutritous foods similiar to the WIC program, well I think that would be a good tradeoff.
Another reason many people on food stamps buy all this convenience food is that they a) don't know how to cook [this is common with teen moms that I have worked with] and/or b) have inadequate cooking facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I am against any new tax, but it would nice if we could find a way to punish fat people more.
Punish! Jeez, what is this, Guantanomo Bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I am traditionally for personal choice being left alone, if you want to maintain an unhealthy body weight, that's great, more power to you, don't bother me. But with UHC, food stamps, health insurance costs (mine costs more cause of 45 yr olds having heart attacks/diabetes/HBP), I'm am no longer not bothered, and if I am going to be burdened with cost, I should have a say.

That being said, I would support a fat tax, if this era of regulating everyones resource usage and individual climate damage comes to play, it only fits.

Just what would you tax? Any nutritionist worth his/her RD will tell you that any food can be worked into a healthy diet. Portion control, etc. And lest you think that overweith is the only cause of heart attacks, diabetes, HBP, think again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post

Why are humans the only species bent on saving the shallow end of the gene pool?
Good Grief! Shades of Nazi Germany!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies