Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times

Advertisements

I wish that some power from God will put forth a plan that forces the State law and insurance companies to place Americans into very large pools of people. No small pools allowed. Why this isn't mentioned in these health debates is odd. State and federal employees have good coverage at very good rates. Large companies have the same benefit, why is this? Large pools of people spreading the risk.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:00 AM
emh

298 posts, read 852,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I wish that some power from God will put forth a plan that forces the State law and insurance companies to place Americans into very large pools of people. No small pools allowed. Why this isn't mentioned in these health debates is odd. State and federal employees have good coverage at very good rates. Large companies have the same benefit, why is this? Large pools of people spreading the risk.
Ah, but it's also because we're unionized.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It has been brought up.
One senator wanted a co-op plan for the states but it would only benefit states with large populations.

I think small businesses should be able to pool together to form their own health insurance pool if they want to.
State and federal employees get good coverage because the government has the power to negotiate. If they wanted to make life difficult for the health insurance companies, they could so I'm sure that's why their employees get such great coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Seriously, what insane person does not want health coverage?
Some people believe their in perfect health and feel they don't need it.
Even if I worked out every single day, didn't eat meat and all that good stuff...I would still want health insurance.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Millions of people, a great many of them 'poor' , are willing, even eager, to pay into a pool (gamble....Vegas, Lottery tickts, horse track, football pools,etc) on the extremely small odds that they will 'win' a big payout some day.
Many of those same do not want to gamble (pay premiums) for the very good odds that will get a big payout (large medical bill covered) someday.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
What if I don't want health insurance? - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090720/cm_csm/yakers;_ylt=AjswZ1VlJS19YupDO409OP.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oD MTFlbzV1YzFvBHBvcwMyMTgEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9vcGluaW 9uBHNsawN3aGF0aWZpZG9uMzk- - broken link)

I don't think Americans should be mandated to buy health insurance or subject to fines if they choose not to have health insurance. There is a segment of the population that doesn't want health insurance but there are others who want it but cannot afford it, they are denied it, etc.

I do wish more insurance companies would let people customize their coverage.

What are your thoughts on this article?
I have been uninsured for almost 2 years now. I cannot find steady work and am not eligible for medicaid. But, yet the govt. wants to force me to pay for health care. It really sucks. If I had a job, I would want the right to choose which provider I want.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear09 View Post
I have been uninsured for almost 2 years now. I cannot find steady work and am not eligible for medicaid. But, yet the govt. wants to force me to pay for health care. It really sucks. If I had a job, I would want the right to choose which provider I want.
If you're out of work, and therefore low or no income, your insurance would be subsidized under the house plan. So, it seems to me, you'd be better off than you are now, ie., uninsured.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear09 View Post
With UHC you will have the choice of provider...you can go private if you choose.

With UHC if you lose your job you HAVE HEALTH CARE.

You don't have to decide between food or health care premiums, paying your mortgage or pay health care premiums, re-schooling or health care premiums.....

And:
EVERYONE pays for uninsured.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
i don't pay for health care. i don't need to visit the doctor so i just put money away in case i would have to. i can't imagine why there is even this discussion about routine health care. i could see a catastrophic health care pool that people could voluntarily join to enable lower premiums, but how many americans want to pay for routine health care all the illegal immigrants, the drug seekers, the hypochondriacs, etc?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:45 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't pay for health care. i don't need to visit the doctor so i just put money away in case i would have to. i can't imagine why there is even this discussion about routine health care. i could see a catastrophic health care pool that people could voluntarily join to enable lower premiums, but how many americans want to pay for routine health care all the illegal immigrants, the drug seekers, the hypochondriacs, etc?
It's too bad that there aren't more champions for catastrophic policies.
In the "old days" that's the way I remember it and it worked better than the mess it has become .

Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
You already pay for them. Anyone who receives care and cannot pay is subsidized by the rest of us in higher insurance premiums and higher fees for services.

In border states, at least, illegal aliens are only entitled to emergency care under EMTALA. They can go to the emergency room and be triaged like everyone else. If it's an emergency, they will be treated.

Drug seekers and hypochondriacs receive the same treatment at emergency rooms. If they are going to doctors for their drugs or hypochondria, then they are paying the doctor's fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies