Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,712,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
If I had two left feet, I wouldn't be able to walk straight. If I didn't blow my knee out, I might be in the NFL. If I was taller, I might be a baller. Not necessarily!!

See how stupid that sounds..That's how stupid your post was.
Naw. That post merely pointed out that there's not much thought going into these programs that the Government comes up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:18 PM

485 posts, read 1,456,356 times
Quote:
If I had two left feet, I wouldn't be able to walk straight. If I didn't blow my knee out, I might be in the NFL. If I was taller, I might be a baller. Not necessarily!!

See how stupid that sounds..That's how stupid your post was.
Actually, I don't know where you live, but in the south and southwest it is very common for people to keep an old truck for hauling garden supplies, etc because it has no value as a trade-in. My neighbor (a single woman) has a fairly new Honda Pilot and an old Chevy PU. If she wanted to trade the PU in, it would count as a traded in clunker but would do almost nothing to help the environment. Another neighbor (a couple) have 3 vehicles - 1 a van that is seldom driven. My son and his wife live in Texas where this phenomenon is even more common. He drives his 1995 PU less than 2 miles a day to and from work. As far as I can see my original post was not as stupid as you seem to feel. I have actually also heard of the idea of trading in the clunker for the government cash after driving a hard bargain for the new car and then selling the new vehicle and pocketing the difference (government's cash).

Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,937,250 times
Quote:
Transportation chief: ‘Clunkers’ is huge success - Autos- msnbc.com

"WASHINGTON - Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood proclaimed "cash-for-clunkers" a roaring success Wednesday just as the Senate seems poised to push the popular program back into high gear with another $2 billion in cash.

LaHood said that in just a brief time, "the government has proved we can get money out the door and sell almost 160,000 cars."

LaHood is a Republican and former congressman from Illinois. In an interview on CBS's "The Early Show," he called the car-purchase program "a huge boost for the economy."
From the right wing Huffington Post.

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is refusing to quickly release government records on its "cash-for-clunkers" rebate program that would substantiate – or undercut – White House claims of the program's success, even as the president presses the Senate for a quick vote for $2 billion to boost car sales.

Obama Administration Withholds Data On "Cash For Clunkers" Program

Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM

872 posts, read 1,857,674 times
Quote:
Can one of you show me where ONE person has been forced to participate in this program? By using your logic, there should be no incentives to stimulate the economy..That's ridiculous. Should we end first time homebuyer incentive programs? People and lenders must be responsible. The Government can't legislate responsibility, but they can and have with the CARS program offer opportunity.
How about we just let the people who EARNED the money keep it instead of paying so much in taxes. More money in the pockets of the workers would mean more purchases by those workers which would mean a stimulated economy and more tax revenue. Let people spend THEIR OWN money how they so desire...what a concept!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Dealers on edge now because they are out the money and have not gotten paid nor will government officials return their calls. One dealer is out $180K so far.

Give back your Cash for Clunker car | KXAN.com

Old 08-05-2009, 06:52 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
Actually, I don't know where you live, but in the south and southwest it is very common for people to keep an old truck for hauling garden supplies, etc because it has no value as a trade-in. My neighbor (a single woman) has a fairly new Honda Pilot and an old Chevy PU. If she wanted to trade the PU in, it would count as a traded in clunker but would do almost nothing to help the environment. Another neighbor (a couple) have 3 vehicles - 1 a van that is seldom driven. My son and his wife live in Texas where this phenomenon is even more common. He drives his 1995 PU less than 2 miles a day to and from work. As far as I can see my original post was not as stupid as you seem to feel. I have actually also heard of the idea of trading in the clunker for the government cash after driving a hard bargain for the new car and then selling the new vehicle and pocketing the difference (government's cash).
So because of this ONE senerio, we should scrap an entire program? Fact is, there is no perfect program but this one has been effective. What you're absurdly suggesting is that the government should know how much a clunker is being used. That's frankly, absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Naw. That post merely pointed out that there's not much thought going into these programs that the Government comes up with.
In your opinion. There is thought but nothing's perfect. Show me something, anything perfect in this world then you might have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
From the right wing Huffington Post.

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is refusing to quickly release government records on its "cash-for-clunkers" rebate program that would substantiate – or undercut – White House claims of the program's success, even as the president presses the Senate for a quick vote for $2 billion to boost car sales.

Obama Administration Withholds Data On "Cash For Clunkers" Program
160,000 cars sold is enough for me..Did you enjoy reading the partisan Huff Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
How about we just let the people who EARNED the money keep it instead of paying so much in taxes. More money in the pockets of the workers would mean more purchases by those workers which would mean a stimulated economy and more tax revenue. Let people spend THEIR OWN money how they so desire...what a concept!
They can keep it..Don't trade your clunker in plain and simple. Simply cutting taxes DOESN'T WORK..We tried that for 8 years and it DOESN'T WORK. When people aren't confident in the ecomony they don't spend that money. If people desire to partake in the CARS program let them. To trade in that car, they have to spend money which automatically puts money directly back into the economy.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,330 times
Roaring success my be pushing it but I think its a good program.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,321,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Dealers on edge now because they are out the money and have not gotten paid nor will government officials return their calls. One dealer is out $180K so far.

Give back your Cash for Clunker car | KXAN.com
Desperate times.
You'd think car dealers of all entities would know better than to be bamboozled by the "G".

Old 08-05-2009, 06:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Desperate times.
You'd think car dealers of all entities would know better than to be bamboozled by the "G".
Yeah, bamboozled into selling 160,000 cars that they wouldn't have sold otherwise. I bet those dealers wont be turning the program down anytime soon.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,321,428 times
Quote:
Yeah, bamboozled into selling 160,000 cars that they wouldn't have sold otherwise. I bet those dealers wont be turning the program down anytime soon.
When their left with a back lot full of scrap that nobody wants and the deadbeats in D.C. won't pay up, we'll see how rewarding it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies