Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM

179 posts, read 516,708 times

Advertisements

I have used the animal backpacks with the tail as the leash for both of my kids. When my oldest (currently 4) was younger (bit over 2 1/2) I have to travel to upstate NY with her and my almost one year old son. My son was in the stroller and she was in the harness. It was the best thing. She absolutely loved wearing it. In places where there are alot of people it is needed. Kids have a tendency to get side tracked by items in stores, other kids, pets, etc. and start to wander off. This keeps them nearby.

My son is not a big fan of it and he is much more likely to run off than my daughter. I have used him in it at places like the zoo because he does not want to sit in the stroller.

It is most helpful because I have more than one child. When I only had the one it was not a big deal. However, if you are focusing on one of them at least the other cannot just run off.

I would rather people look down on me; than me looking down on a grave or not even knowing what happened to my child. It is BECAUSE I love them that I put them on a harness. Obviously the way this lady dragged the child is not appropriate at all. Anymore than dragging them by their arm. Personally, I would have bent down and picked up the child and walked out instead of dragging them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
I would think the liberals would think this is more humane than spanking your kids. Now we can't even leash our kids?

The problem these days is the liberals are too concerned with being their kid's friend that they don't want to discipline them out of fear of upsetting them. I see these kids all the time. They act up and misbehave and their stupid parents do nothing or say nothing to them.

My kids would probably prefer if I leash them but unlike these moron liberal parents, if my kids act up in public, I will yell at them and God forbid...even spank them.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
Where did you get this profound insight into the minds of people who consider themselves liberals? I don't have children, but I know I would never spank them based on the children I have seen and how they are raised. It is possible to raise a child to behave without the, 'fear of being struck' I've seen it work so I know it can be done. Harder, yes, but possible, and definitely healthier for the psychological well being of the child. And hardly anyone was against the actual leash, it's the dragging of children that is the issue.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
I don't like seeing children on a leash. It is unnecessary. What IS necessary is for a concerned parent to take the time to teach their children how to behave appropriately in public...or there will be consequences. This kid looked old enough to understand consequences. The mother has not done the necessary training, so she is the one now suffering "consequences". Back in the day, when I was growing up, "the look" was all that was needed to keep the five of us stairsteps in line!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I wouldn't do it to my kids, but I'm not going to tell someone they can't do it to theirs.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
I applaud the actions of this woman but the thing that was missing was a well deserved spanking.
I am tired of putting up with the bad behavior and tantrums of spoiled children in public and it is nice to see a parent finally take some action. One coffee shop I used to frequent said nothing when a parent would bring in 2-6 children who would run wild screaming and disturbing the customers. Many customers picked up their coffee and food and when outside to escape the insanity. Only once did I see a parent quiet their child. The management did nothing saying their hands were tied. As a result I found another coffee shop that will not tolerate unruly children. It is nice to see a parent in charge again.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
I wouldn't do it to my kids.
But hey, some parents are more lazy than others....
yeah let's just leave the 'teaching' part and consequences of your actions out of parenting folks.. great flippin' idea.
what's most disturbing about this video is that we don't get a chance to see wether or not the mom bothers to check and see if the angle that she's pulling him in is sufficient to get through the doorway or not...I dunno if she would've cared wether she clocked him on the door frame or not...
that's the part that makes me think she's a nasty wench.
Not the 'fun' mom giving her kid a ride, as others have suggested.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
First, I would like to congradulate all those that posted with perfect trained little children that have not nor will ever throw a tantrum or wander off.

I dont believe the parent should be arrested. I dont believe there was any abuse. I also think the child missed out on a good spanking, but they would probably strung her up right then and there for that. What I always thought would work good with those leashes is a shock collar.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
First, I would like to congradulate all those that posted with perfect trained little children that have not nor will ever throw a tantrum or wander off.

I dont believe the parent should be arrested. I dont believe there was any abuse. I also think the child missed out on a good spanking, but they would probably strung her up right then and there for that. What I always thought would work good with those leashes is a shock collar.
Who the heck said their kids were perfectly trained?
Tantrums and wandering off are pretty much a common thing for parents.
But some parents actually DO something about it, by dealing with the kids, and you know, being a PARENT not just dragging them around on the ground by a 'tarded leash.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
We had one for my son - not because I couldn't control him or because he was a bad kid - I just didn't like holding his hand while we were shopping when he first started walking. He'd take a step.Stop.Point at the water fountain.Take a step. Stop.Notice he's wearing a shoe. Bend down to touch the shoe. Take 5 fast steps (so now he's ahead of me). Stop. Notice the floor is shiny. Stare at the floor. Now I'm walking past him. Step. Step.Step. Hug my legs. Stop.Stare at the elevator.Step.

That's how it went for about two months. I didn't mind the slow walking but trying to hold his hand while he was walking that slowly while bending, twisting, touching,pointing,fidgeting every two seconds was killing me, especially if I was carrying something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies