Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
And I'm not sure what to think. I've been reading so much about him and how people blame him for things so I figured I'd give him a look-see.

I have to ask...is he for real? I mean it does look like a spoof, or like someone trying really hard to ACT like he's spoofing, but this is supposed to be serious? He makes funny noises, does silly voices, makes faces and mugs to the camera, does skits, etc.

I've seen Comedy Centrals shows (The Daily Show, Colbert Report) and I KNOW those are joke shows that touch on real issues, is Glen Beck's show satirical?

is Glen Beck's show satirical?

Yes he is making fun of our inept 2 party system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 25,184 times
Quote:
Oh, so you dislike black people and single mothers. Gotcha.
They've done wonders for Detroit.

Quote:
But what about Palin? You all in for that as President?
Yes. Tho I am an atheist and a eugenicist, I think Palin is by far the best person out there. She may actually cut taxes, spending and regulation. Who knows, she may even defend the border and try to do something about quotas.

Last edited by Bumerang; 08-09-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 02:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumerang View Post
They've done wonders for Detroit.

Yes. Tho I am an atheist and a eugenicist, I think Palin is by far the best person out there. She may actually cut taxes, spending and regulation. Who knows, she may even defend the border and try to do something about quotas.
I don't know why you qualify your statements with "I'm an atheist". That doesn't play into anything being discussed.

So why does Palin qualify as "by far the best person out there"? What facts do you base that on? Right now she is a SAHM who lives in Alaska and has no political status. I can petty much guarantee there are better people "out there" and if you want the Republicans to take back the White House you best get to finding them.

Or are you, as I suspect, just a joker?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
I don't know why you qualify your statements with "I'm an atheist". That doesn't play into anything being discussed.

So why does Palin qualify as "by far the best person out there"? What facts do you base that on? Right now she is a SAHM who lives in Alaska and has no political status. I can petty much guarantee there are better people "out there" and if you want the Republicans to take back the White House you best get to finding them.

Or are you, as I suspect, just a joker?
Ceece, it is amazing to see someone talking about the office of President and in the same sentence start talking about Congressional candidates. I didn't know that Palin was going to run for the House of Reps in 2012 but I am pretty sure she will run for Senate next year, 2010.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Are you telling me that Beck is actually trying to be serious? He cracks me up with his writhing around and his crying outbursts.
If you refuse to listen to what he says then you are missing his whole schtick.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Sorry - I thought people would connect the second part of my sentence with the first:

"The big problem I have with Glenn Beck is not what he says or how he says it - I believe in the Constitution."

I mentioned the Constitution because of the First Amendment. Beck is free, within the limits set out by the courts already (no shouting "fire" in a crowded theater) to say what he wants. What I am most disappointed in is that people accept some of his most outrageous statements as being true.

Whether a person is stupid or not has nothing to do with the level of formal education achieved or number of degrees hanging on the wall. I believe Beck says stupid things - sometimes, things he knows are not true. And I believe that the way in which he conducts himself on his show (at least, the clips I've managed to watch without heaving) can be best described as idiotic.
Gene may I suggest a clip of Beck that is one where he does less than half the talking and it scares the hell out of me.

Glenn Beck Clips Week 32

Scroll down to the third clip and listen carefully to Hannan talk as there is a lot of information and Beck doesn't talk or make faces during it. You may heave but I just get more fearful every time I listen to him talk on this one and I have watched it many times to get the numbers in mind.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
is Glen Beck's show satirical?

Yes he is making fun of our inept 2 party system.
He does that satire at the beginning of every show, but he gets downright serious after the introduction. I really don't think that many people pay much attention to his words.

Did anybody mention the fact that he wears jeans and tennies during his show, yet?

Old 08-09-2009, 03:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did anybody mention the fact that he wears jeans and tennies during his show, yet?
Is that significant?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,443,857 times
Lightbulb Study the man from many sources.....

CeeCe,

I usually stay away from political themes in CDF. However, there are aspects of Glenn Beck people either don't know or don't like to remember.

He made himself into the commentator and learner that he is, after being an alcoholic and losing his first family. HE LEARNED LESSONS MANY DO NOT. Listen how he speaks about his kids (or second wife). He has accepted responsibility for his personal failures.

Read about him from various sources. The trips and benefits he does in areas that keep his philanthropy private endear him to many. Ensuring a house is built for a family that had the needs from severe disabilities from a genetic disease, but not the funds. He doesn't forget. He goes back and back to help more.

I don't want to debate politics. I have learned that knowing more about a man's personal life, whether or not he takes responsibility for his personal/professional life and how he seeks to improve life for others influences whether I try to listen to his points or not.

BTW - Glenn Beck started in Radio. Looks didn't matter, but thinking did with the crew who recruited him. I suspect his tennis shoes are more comfortable (or perhaps something medical). Point is, he doesn't spend mega bucks on shoes that are mostly hidden under a desk. How many commentators, let alone "journalists," leave their desks and walk to a teaching board?

Keith O. also use to be in radio, I wonder why he didn't stay in sports. I understand Dan Patrick a lot better now too, and why he is NOW a happier man.

I didn't even know Glenn Beck existed until someone I met online asked me if I'd ever heard him on CNN when he was on CNN. He only joined Fox in 2009. Now, I know more about the man and the personal path.

One question to ask yourself is why is his paperback book, released around Christmas, where it is in the NY Times list, when he tells people to read it and then give it to someone else to read? I don't claim to have the answer, I only know some of the data about the hand-me-down and around book.

I encourage you to read more about him from various sources. I wasn't aware, until very recently, about some advertisers wishing to have their commercials placed during different times on Fox, given his remarks on a different Fox show. He's lived through worse. He understands what is most important. That is not all his advertisers as someone earlier suggested, nor did those advertisers leave Fox.

However, look at his ratings and those of his competition. What happens if no commercials mean more time for Beck to host more guests and ask questions? Watch closely the next two weeks until after the 9/12 project. I'm not involved, but have a dear friend here at CDF who is. I don't know what will happen, but I do believe he has a strong moral feeling about what he is doing (and that is not a Colbert-like act). He has a bit of Colbert goofiness at the beginning, but when he says he feels things or believes things, he's telling you how he honestly feels or believes.

Along with being a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, he also has ADD which isn't medicated to the best of my knowledge, given his fear of becoming an addict again. Does he do some quirky things - yip. Can he biologically control them, I don't think all of them he can.

He'll be ok, he's picked himself up from nothing and created a format that many fear, many laugh at and others enjoy and learn from. How can he not be a success?

Good luck learning more about Glenn Beck.

MSR

Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
Quote:
And I'm not sure what to think. I've been reading so much about him and how people blame him for things so I figured I'd give him a look-see.

I have to ask...is he for real? I mean it does look like a spoof, or like someone trying really hard to ACT like he's spoofing, but this is supposed to be serious? He makes funny noises, does silly voices, makes faces and mugs to the camera, does skits, etc.

I've seen Comedy Centrals shows (The Daily Show, Colbert Report) and I KNOW those are joke shows that touch on real issues, is Glen Beck's show satirical?
heh heh ... he is sort of a dingbat isn't he? ..

Kind of makes you really appreciate Comedy Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies