Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Instead of trying to give us a well-thought out answer, you resorted to the usual child antics. Why do YOU feel the need to bring a gun to an event that the president is at? You can rail at it all you want, no one is taking away your precious guns. Feel free to keep stroking them when you're feeling particularly vulnerable.
Funny you criticise me for childish antics...

As to why should a person be allowed to exercise their rights a better question is why not?
Because someone might get hurt?
Do you believe in preemptive law enforcement???

And instead of restricting people's rights,why not simply have a bullet proof enclosure surrounding the almighty one???
Works for the Pope and his Popemobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,782,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And instead of restricting people's rights,why not simply have a bullet proof enclosure surrounding the almighty one???
You know we are talking about any president, right? Not just Obama.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Open a history book.

I'll refrain from the bait of getting personal. But let's just speak common sense. If 5 legal gun carriers want to kill the president and 995 legal gun carriers do not, all 1,000 should have to leave their guns at the door so that an assasination does not occur.
Psst,I believe all the assassination attempts except for JFK's involved hidden firearms....something that you cannot control in a crowd situation UNLESS the POTUS is in an area that is secured...or we place him in a bullet proof bubble.

When the POTUS meets and greets a crowd,is EVERY person searched?
If not,why not?

Surely every person should be searched 'just in case',afterall you never know.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Funny you criticise me for childish antics...

As to why should a person be allowed to exercise their rights a better question is why not?
Because someone might get hurt?
Do you believe in preemptive law enforcement???

I know, I just had to put that in, couldn't resist. I believe in not allowing stupid people to do stupid things, such as bring weapons to a presidential event. There's a thing called secret service at these events. Fully armed. What are you worried about, that the secret service are going to try to take you out? Believe me, before you could even reach for your gun your head would be blown off. There are too many people in this country that feel they can play the police game. Since most people aren't the brightest in the bunch, that adds up to a whole lot of stupid running around thinking they're rambo.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,568,419 times
I guess they think that even discussing this as if it were a reasonable option will pull the national discussion in their direction?

Any rational person knows that the President of the United States is more important than any one of us because if he dies we all suffer!

If I die you all won't even know it happened!

What the heck? stupidity.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
As a practical matter, the president's security detail (among others - even certain private figures can afford this) uses portable microwave scanners to determine whether or not anyone in the vicinity of the president is armed.

If you are detected, you won't necessarily be removed or physically "managed," but you probably will be targeted or noted for targeting by the security detail's "denial" systems - that could mean several different things, but at the least, it means that if you get too twitchy and appear as though you are drawing your weapon, you will be put down almost immediately.

This might well happen even if you are, say, drawing your weapon due to a completely unrelated factor, like a crazy person in the crowd randomly attacking you. Due to the heightened security, you simply aren't going to be allowed to use your firearm in the vicinity of the president.

So, what's the point of carrying, once you take those factors into account?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
You know we are talking about any president, right? Not just Obama.
I am referring to the American way of revering some guy who just happened to be elected...

I do not believe he is more important than any other person,his well being should not mean the restriction of others Constitutional rights,ANY of those rights.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
I am referring to the American way of revering some guy who just happened to be elected...

I do not believe he is more important than any other person,his well being should not mean the restriction of others Constitutional rights,ANY of those rights.
So not allowing guns at a political event, out of ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the other places you can bring your precious guns to, you think your constitutional (there's that fricking word again, I'm so tired of it) rights are being taken away? Dang man, that's beyond absurd.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I guess they think that even discussing this as if it were a reasonable option will pull the national discussion in their direction?

Any rational person knows that the President of the United States is more important than any of us because if he dies we all suffer!

If I die you all won't even know it happened!

What the heck, stupidity.
And there you have it,the POTUS IS worth more than us proles....

If the POTUS keeled over today nothing would change except we would have to spend a few million crying ove rhim,he is just a guy,no better than anyone else.

Stop the worshipping of your 'Royalty'.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
So not allowing guns at a political event, out of ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the other places you can bring your precious guns to, you think your constitutional (there's that fricking word again, I'm so tired of it) rights are being taken away? Dang man, that's beyond absurd.
Of course your rights are taken away...

DO you consider the 'free speech' zones to be restricting your rights?

The point is stop putting some bought and paid for by special interest groups guy on a pedestal....he is just another one in a long line screwing you over to appease his backers.(which is NOT those who voted for him...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies