Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
________
To the op, women know that there's a potential human in their womb.
Why do you think they're going for an abortion. They don't want that potential human.
A fetus isn't a 'potential' human. At the point of conception, the fetus as at all at once, distinct, living, and human...biologically speaking.

The only reason that this needs to be discussed is that there's proof all throughout this thread that even adults who one would presume are educated think that there is some magical point in which the fetus becomes human, or alive. Someone tried to argue with me that no biology textbook says life begins at conception, it is all a matter of opinion. It is clearly not, despite the fact that abortion lobbyists have done a good job of convincing the American public that it somehow is. It's baffling.

Since many people on this thread do not have a good working knowledge of biology, one could very easily presume that the average woman seeking an abortion does not as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
A fetus isn't a 'potential' human. At the point of conception, the fetus as at all at once, distinct, living, and human...biologically speaking.

The only reason that this needs to be discussed is that there's proof all throughout this thread that even adults who one would presume are educated think that there is some magical point in which the fetus becomes human, or alive. Since many people on this thread do not have a good working knowledge of biology, one could very easily presume that the average woman seeking an abortion does not as well.

Biologically, you are correct. It is human from the point of conception.

However, the point where people keep getting hanged up on is when it becomes a being, so to speak, capable of feeling/cognitive measures of any sort.

HOwever, in my case, I simply don't care. My main cut-off point is when the fetus can live without the incubator's help. No woman should ever be forced to go through a pregnancy she doesn't want. A woman's right to bodily domain always trumps the fetus in my opinion.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post

However, the point where people keep getting hanged up on is when it becomes a being, so to speak, capable of feeling/cognitive measures of any sort.
This is a philosophical question, since there are many human beings with different gradations of sentience and cognition, based on disability and other factors. I've dealt with this before, and I always posit that there's no way around this then assigning gradations of worth amongst human beings according to their cognitive abilities, which people tend to balk at, with good reason.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Biologically, you are correct. It is human from the point of conception.

HOwever, in my case, I simply don't care. My main cut-off point is when the fetus can live without the incubator's help. No woman should ever be forced to go through a pregnancy she doesn't want. A woman's right to bodily domain always trumps the fetus in my opinion.
I concur.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:07 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
This is a philosophical question, since there are many human beings with different gradations of sentience and cognition, based on disability and other factors. I've dealt with this before, and I always posit that there's no way around this then assigning gradations of worth amongst human beings according to their cognitive abilities, which people tend to balk at, with good reason.
"on any level".

Or did you skip over that?

And yes, I do advocate euthanasia for people who are incapable of any cognitive abilities whatsoever.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:

And yes, I do advocate euthanasia for people who are incapable of any cognitive abilities whatsoever.
This doesn't address the fact that cognition and sentience itself are present in varying gradations throughout all of humanity, and by inferring that's where the intrinsic value of human life lies, that some human beings are inherently worth less than others, on a hierarchical scale.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM

23 posts, read 68,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Sure. They can say it. It is not like women do not know that.

It is just to try to get them to go through a guilty trip.

I agree.. we are aware it ends life... thats pretty much the point of getting an abortion.

But to get us to feel guilty? We dont need a judge or doctor to make us feel that way. I dont know any women who has had an abortion and didnt feel guilty about it. (ps i didnt say regret, i said guilt)

Old 08-24-2009, 02:26 PM

539 posts, read 700,265 times
Standard medical texts have long taught that life begins at conception. Human life is really incomplete until adolescence.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
For us who believe human life is intrinsically valuable, it is everyone's business.

You are a clump of cells. You will die a clump of cells. What does that have to do with the intrinsic value of your life?

I am a vegan. I also am against slavery. Everytime I advocate that people not torture and kill animals or enslave other people, I'm 'forcing my beliefs' on others. I believe in justice. I don't care if that makes other people uncomfortable.
You are also placing the fetus's interests above the interests of the woman. Which are your values. Are your values inherently better than everyone else's? Are your beliefs more valid than another person's? Because you are essentially saying that your judgment is superior to other people's, and therefore you have the right to impose that judgment on other people.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
So you think they are too stupid to control their life in the first aspect so they need a 2nd chance?

They controlled their body when they decided to lay down for any man they see.
More of that misogynistic, sex-hating rhetoric.

Hating women, hating sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies