Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Contrary to what you say, the more I hear about this so-called health plan the more frightened for our country I feel. For instance, why would this government need to have access to my tax records with the IRS and my checking account.

Anyone that thinks that is something this country needs is a lot more ignorant than anybody I know. Go read the health plan and you will find those two things are in the planning. This health plan is more about taking over our private lives than it is about health. I don't think that is healthy at all.
WHY are you worried now????

The "Patriot" Act took away all rights to any privacy. Get real, just about anyone anywhere can find out anything they want to know about you....too late to worry about that.

This is just a desperation issue anyway...the "Death Panel" thingy didn't work, the NO CHOICE crap didn't work, none of the right-wing garbage worked...soooooo, now what can we come up with???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Contrary to what you say, the more I hear about this so-called health plan the more frightened for our country I feel. For instance, why would this government need to have access to my tax records with the IRS and my checking account.

Anyone that thinks that is something this country needs is a lot more ignorant than anybody I know. Go read the health plan and you will find those two things are in the planning. This health plan is more about taking over our private lives than it is about health. I don't think that is healthy at all.
I'm frightened by the fact that instead of fighting for OUR rights to be covered by affordable health insurance through a public "option", some of us are fighting for the rights of the private insurance companies to continue their status quo price gouging and discriminatory practices (like turning people down for coverage, unwilling to pay for approved procedures, unwilling to approve medical procedures, etc.). I cannot believe this.

The whole "taking away our private lives" - is a fabricated, buzz phrase, and it is a LIE. Your "private life" - your health - is being controlled RIGHT NOW by private insurance companies as they play Russian Roulette with your health as they have the power to approve or deny, at will. They have the power to do whatever they want, for as long as they want, and there is nothing that you can do except appeal their decision. More often than not, by the time this happens, the patient is dead. One of these days it could be you, me, or someone that we love.

To add: Palin brought in the phrase, "death panels" in order to scare people away from the public option. The truth of the matter (and it's been said before, I'm simply reiterating) is that the private insurance companies ARE the DEATH PANELS she talks about - the future is now. Believe that to be true because it is.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I'm frightened by the fact that instead of fighting for OUR rights to be covered by affordable health insurance through a public "option", some of us are fighting for the rights of the private insurance companies to continue their status quo price gouging and discriminatory practices (like turning people down for coverage, unwilling to pay for approved procedures, unwilling to approve medical procedures, etc.). I cannot believe this.

The whole "taking away our private lives" - is a fabricated, buzz phrase, and it is a LIE. Your "private life" - your health - is being controlled RIGHT NOW by private insurance companies as they play Russian Roulette with your health as they have the power to approve or deny, at will. They have the power to do whatever they want, for as long as they want, and there is nothing that you can do except appeal their decision. More often than not, by the time this happens, the patient is dead. One of these days it could be you, me, or someone that we love.

To add: Palin brought in the phrase, "death panels" in order to scare people away from the public option. The truth of the matter (and it's been said before, I'm simply reiterating) is that the private insurance companies ARE the DEATH PANELS she talks about - the future is now. Believe that to be true because it is.
Great post!

I brought up a corporate Death Panel incident in A Real Death Panel.

No repubs wanted to acknowledge that and, you're right, they won't unless it happens to them.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Ok, this line both cracked me up and ticked me off. . . It reminded me of during the election, when people would ask me if I really thought the country was "ready for a black president," and I would ask them what they thought we still needed to do to prepare ourselves for such an event.

It was utterly absurd then, and it's utterly absurd now. We're not "ready" for government-run health care*? So what must we do to prepare for it, John? How do we "ready" ourselves to improve our access to more competitive options? How do we "ready" ourselves for the shock we'll surely go into when we are no longer denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition? Should we all "work out" in preparation? Take a First Aid class? Put on a pretty dress and do our hair and makeup? What? What will "ready" us, John?

Quit being absurd, ya moron.

*Even more absurd since that's not what's being proposed!!!
I thnik that he is right. Why;because the people that want that government plan ARE NOT WILLING TO PAY FOR IT THEMSELVES. They want to tax someone else for the government portion while at the same time lowering their own taxes. They want to have no skin in the game. What they really want is something for nothing. If you want the plan you should be willing to pay the higher taxes and fess that other countries do. Of course that will mean that a heck of alot more also live in projects and can never actually own a home ;just as in those countries.The people for entilements are like a kid in a toy store with a parents credit card.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,211,513 times
Waxman is holding hearing's to reveal profits the insurance companies are bleeding the American people and giving their CEOs. The healthcare issue is not going away until everybody has credible healthcare...

Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
All that person has to do is get a job with the government and he can choose just like the rest of the federal workforce can choose.

All federal employees have the same choices.
But do you get free leased cars, free haircuts, free postage stamps ?? etc. etc. etc.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,337,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Waxman is holding hearing's to reveal profits the insurance companies are bleeding the American people and giving their CEOs. The healthcare issue is not going away until everybody has credible healthcare...
You're right, once a majority of voters think that making money is a bad thing for a business to do, everything will be provided by the government.

I propose government provided food insurance next. I'm hungry. I also think Waxman should hold hearings to reveal profits the farming and grocery corporations are bleeding from the public and giving to their CEOs. This food issue isn't going away until everybody has a credible public food solution on the dinner table.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 AM

272 posts, read 295,759 times
I think all employers should stop paying for employees health care. Stop having nanny employer taker care of all your needs. The money they save can go to share holders, CEO's and business owners. It's capitalism. Why the ever growing need to take care of employees they can take care of themselves and should take care of themselves.

Maybe when that happens to you, you will see the need for UHC.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 AM

272 posts, read 295,759 times
Chielgirl,

You are rather rude with your snide remarks and act like an arrogant know it all. I am educated. Have a BS degree. I own a business. I pay for my own insurance for the last 30 years. As my cost goes up my benefits go down as insurance profits go up. Not everyone can work for the gov't not everyone has a job that provides healthcare. Let me remind you of some of the jobs that are hard working jobs that do not provide health care, your day care provider, your pre-school teacher, your hairdresser, your deli worker, your dental assistant, your plumber, your electricain, your home builder. If we all strived for gov't jobs and these so called better jobs where would you get your hair done, where would you leave your children, who will do your home repairs. Of course everyone could raise their rates and you can help us pay for our health care. I don't think most people are looking for a free hand. I think they don't want to worry about the problems that comes with private insurance, affordability, and coverage when needed. If private insurance companies wanted to do it they would of done it by now. Instead the rates just go up as coverage goes down leaving people bankrupt or fearful of what will be covered.

My remark previously in we all want health care like his ..... and his response of that is what he is trying to do..... was meant that republicans haven't come up with a plan that will solve the problem.... affordability and coverage for all. If you think the insurance companies will... your the foolish one privately owned means it is all about how much they can make. :Health "care" and making a "profit" are two entirely different goals a contradiction and quite frankly I don't want someone who is looking at how much money they are going to make deciding if I am going to get treatment or not.

We can have different opinions in how it is accomplished but keep your snide remarks to yourself.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:15 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
if everybody worked for the government, how would the government get any money for any program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies