Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are gays a threat to the public good?
Yes 36 12.16%
No 244 82.43%
Maybe 2 0.68%
Sometimes 12 4.05%
I don't know 2 0.68%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times

Advertisements

yeah i'd love to see the data. the burden of proof is on the person who makes the claims. so prove your claims, hawkeye. interesting that several people responded to hawkeye with point-by-point questioning of his claims, and he focuses on the response that's the least substantive (no offense jaymax, honestly it was the response that load of unsubstantiated nonsense deserved).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Or even ABOUT the gay community. I'm not gay, but have been involved (at least on internet forums) in the fight for equality since I first got on the internet in 1998. I once got an email full of vitriol forwarded to me by my sister. When I emailed her back and asked her not to send stuff like that to me, she replied that she felt I 'needed to be informed about gays'. My reply was 'huh? what? sorry Sis but I feel I am much more informed than you are' I then sent her a link to an article disputing her claims about the Bible 'condemning' gays and lesbians. Rather than discussing the article with me, she said she'd forward it to her pastor and wait for his reply! Sorry again, Sis. If I wanted to debate your pastor I would have sent the thing to HIM. She simply refused to discuss it without her pastor's input or have any more discussion of gays with me.
LOL, wow. If that is not the perfect example of not being able to think for herself then I don't know what is, that's pretty sad.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 AM

757 posts, read 803,195 times
Default lifestyle choice

The only "choice" a gay person makes regarding their sexuality, is whether to face the truth or live a lie. As far as "lifestyle" most of the gay people I know are tax paying, patriotic Americans who go to work everyday, love their families and try to live a life of good. All this while having bigots like those in this thread who think it's their place to judge other people. How about working on your own self good and stop worrying about everyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I had a whole awesome post written out, but then I hit something on the keyboard and it all disappeared. So, since I don't feel like writing it all again, I'll keep it simple.

I voted on the poll earlier today, and I chose "sometimes" And to tell you the truth, the fact that there are only 6 votes in that catagory astounds me because the fact is, no matter what your sexual orientation, we could all possibly be a threat to the public good at one point or another. Gay people, in my opinion, should be free to live as they choose. And I am not even saying their lifestyle is a threat to the public good. I am saying that everyone could possibly do something or cause a chain of events to unfold that could be defined as a threat to the public good.

If you simply voted no, you voted with your heart on your sleeve, without putting a lot of thought into the actual question and the limitless possibilities of what man is capable of.

So, to wrap it up, I say no, their lifestyle choice is in no way a threat to the public good. But, that doesn't change the fact that anyone can pose such a threat in the right situation.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
LOL, wow. If that is not the perfect example of not being able to think for herself then I don't know what is, that's pretty sad.
I love my sister, but I've definitely learned not to try to have a religious or political discussion with her! As long as we keep the conversation on family, friends, and hobbies we get along great!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I love my sister, but I've definitely learned not to try to have a religious or political discussion with her! As long as we keep the conversation on family, friends, and hobbies we get along great!
Oh I hear ya. One of my brothers is very conservative & gay rights has never come up in conversation ever which I'm thankful for because I'm positive I would say something to him that I would regret.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:22 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Prove number 2 or 3. Where have you read this? I have never heard of this at all.

Here is a little reading. The facts sting, but you should probably know them, as it may change your views. Look at the DATA, rather than the PROPAGANDA.

Family Research Council

I think that this link answers all your questions, thank you. The left likes to ignore facts and this is just another example. You will deride the source, of course, as you are a liberal. However, data is data and in science, we must accept the facts, even if it does not agree with our initial hypothesis. That is what we call academic honesty, which is lacking in these left wing agendas.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Here is a little reading. The facts sting, but you should probably know them, as it may change your views. Look at the DATA, rather than the PROPAGANDA.

Family Research Council

I think that this link answers all your questions, thank you. The left likes to ignore facts and this is just another example. You will deride the source, of course, as you are a liberal. However, data is data and in science, we must accept the facts, even if it does not agree with our initial hypothesis. That is what we call academic honesty, which is lacking in these left wing agendas.
I'm sorry but using that link or the bible to prove a point is pointless. It's actually laughable.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:51 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm sorry but using that link or the bible to prove a point is pointless. It's actually laughable.

Sure. Data and facts that absolutely disprove your contentions are the problem with liberals. They never let facts get in the way of thier beliefs. When the facts disprove thier views, just like Stalin, they simply bury them or try to revise them.

It shows the true hypocrisy of liberalism and the Stalinistic tactics that they rely upon on a daily basis.

You should really read more. Read a little about propaganda, the use of language and political correctness under Stalin, and the Frankfurt Group. Of course, you will not, as you are brainwashed and KNOW the facts, as you have been told by George Soros. He, not God, is the source of all truth. Good boy. Good boy.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Sure. Data and facts that absolutely disprove your contentions are the problem with liberals. They never let facts get in the way of thier beliefs. When the facts disprove thier views, just like Stalin, they simply bury them or try to revise them.

It shows the true hypocrisy of liberalism and the Stalinistic tactics that they rely upon on a daily basis.

You should really read more. Read a little about propaganda, the use of language and political correctness under Stalin, and the Frankfurt Group. Of course, you will not, as you are brainwashed and KNOW the facts, as you have been told by George Soros. He, not God, is the source of all truth. Good boy. Good boy.
Now that is ironic you saying that. All of your posts on this thread have been filled w/hypocrisy & unsurprisingly, you don't even see it. Not even when it's been pointed out to you. That is an example of brainwashing at it's finest.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:

Family Research Council

Obviously you simply have no clue. "Family Research Council" isn't any authority on the matter just because they have The Dome in their logo and patriotic color schemes.

They are a devout and admitted anti-gay religious oganization and use sources from other anti-gay oganizations and people. Their information is not "facts" but the very same empty propeganda you claim "liberals" use and follow.

Their End Notes read like a Who's Who of anti-gay zealots whose works and findings are not based in the sciences or scientific principles whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies