Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
However, considering Carter's work on the Camp David Accords
That was then, this is now. He is clearly antisemitic.

Steele denounces 'race card' - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Quote:
Characterizing Americans’ disapproval of President Obama’s policies as being based on race is an outrage and a troubling sign about the lengths Democrats will go to disparage all who disagree with them. Playing the race card shows that Democrats are willing to deal from the bottom of the deck. Our political system has no place for this type of rhetoric.
The dems/libs are frustrated and angry that in spite of having the WH, the House and a supermajority in the Senate, they are still unable to rahm their liberal agenda through. They are lashing out and the only thing they have left is the race card to explain the massive opposition to obama's radical plans.

The problem they have is playing the race card once to often in the past, when the circumstances didn't warrant it. People don't believe their accusations anymore.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...lan_are_racist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times

Old 09-16-2009, 11:55 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
The notion that Jimmy Carter is antisemitic is about as absurd as it gets. His book, "Peace not apartheid" was very critical of Israel, more so than we in America often hear in the press. However, considering Carter's work on the Camp David Accords, in which resulted in Sadat and Begin sharing the 1978 Nobel Peace Prize, millions of dollars of subsidies going to both Egypt and Israel and all this under threat of all out war by various Muslim nations and the assassination of Rabin by a Jewish extremist. At no time in history of this conflict did the two sides come closer to reaching a viable peace than under Carter.

Carter is many things and folks will argue forever over his Presidency, but the notion that he is antisemitic is ludicrous.
You are quite correct. Most reasonable people would agree JC was not a very good President. His post White House activities run the gamut from laudable to naive. But he is a smart man and a very good man. Certainly not against Jews. That is what makes his spurious comments so sad.

I like JC, more or less, as a person. But he is dead wrong in this instance.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
The notion that Jimmy Carter is antisemitic is about as absurd as it gets.
I think you quoted the wrong person. I never called Carter an antisemitic. Another poster wrote that Carter is anti-Semitic and in my response I wrote:

"....there is a line between hatred of the Jewish people and political opposition to Israel. I'm just not sure how thin that line is. Some of his statements have been troubling, however."

I also wrote

"I also believe he was a much better leader than he's given credit for, because he was followed by Reagan and Bush 41 and was vilified by the Republicans to look like a failure."

Still, some of his statements about the Jewish people are upsetting.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-16-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany blair View Post
I am tired of of people yelling "Racist!" whenever something happens between two people of different races. Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe someone might just be angry at Obama for what he says - and that it might not be about his race at all? I don't agree with how/when the senator voiced his opinion, but the strength of this country is that we can all have differing views. Let's stop going back to the racism "crutch" all the time - it's getting old and it is non-productive. It is too easy to skip over the real issues when you are yelling "racist!". And often, dealing with the real issue is what takes the most effort from us all. It takes the most time, wisdom and patience. But it is worth the effort.
Okay. So you're not a racist. It shouldn't be too hard then for you to ignore allegations of racism if they do not apply to you.

If by "the senator" you're referring to Joe Wilson, it should be important to look at the man's background when considering HOW he "voiced his opinion." There were many, many other ways in which Joe Wilson could have voiced that opinion other than the ONE WAY he chose. IMO, his background got the best of him and he just "slipped up." Wealthy folks from old Southern families are not accustomed to being in a position of "lesser power" with black people. Joe just forgot where he was for a moment would be my guess.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You are quite correct. Most reasonable people would agree JC was not a very good President. His post White House activities run the gamut from laudable to naive. But he is a smart man and a very good man. Certainly not against Jews. That is what makes his spurious comments so sad.

I like JC, more or less, as a person. But he is dead wrong in this instance.
Carter's comments on Joe Wilson, yes I totally disagree with them wholly. Joe Wilson might be a closet Klan member or he might just be opposed to Obama's health care plan, for him to state that it was clearly racially motivated is the kind of assumption befitting a political chat forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I think you quoted the wrong person. A poster wrote that Carter an anti-Semitic and I wrote
Yes, you are correct, my apologies.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The fact still reamins that the majority of those protesting and pontificating about the evils of Obama can not believe that we see through the (badly) veiled attempts to pretend that their hatred towards Obama is based in truth.

If those who oppose Obama spoke in rational and coherent sentences, then maybe their "concerns" would not seem so trivial. The gross exaggerations, the grandstanding, the nasty racially based attacks - most people can see what the real motivations of these people happens to be and are calling them out.

If you are a racist, Obama hater - just own it. Own what you are because the world already knows it.
This is very true.

I am against Obama and I've only been called a racist by the nutjobs on the far right (I'm a Libertarian who is Registered Republican) who laughably say I'm an anti-white racist...despite the fact that I'm white.

The problem is that with those 2 dozen or so idiots on City-Data that post in every single Obama or race thread (see this thread, many of the names are in many other similar threads claiming that the Obama administration is racist) is that they try to pass off their racism as distaste for policies. The problem is that they are idiots and they can only say things like "Fannie, Freddie and ACORN caused the financial crisis" while completely ignoring Bush and Cheney's part in it, which just shows how irrational they are.

I do not support the Health Care thing they're doing right now, I didn't support the bail-out and I will not vote for Obama in 2012 like I didn't vote for him in 2008. However, when I make arguments against him, I don't call him Nobama, 0bama (the idiot who does this claimed that it's easier to type the #0 than typing a capital O...but then later said the Zero had meaning in his feelings about Obama), Hussein Obama, Barack Osama, or anything else that shows an irrational hatred for him for reasons beyond policies.

Not only that, but anyone who claims people are playing the "race card" is obviously a racist themselves. The term "race baiting" is only used by those who are complete racists and can actually be baited into saying stupid things. Anyone who says Obama is racist, is CLEARLY racist themselves because Obama's cabinet is like a freaking rainbow of nationalities and there's only a small % of blacks in it. The simple fact is that some white people (who just happen to be the massive majority of TEA Party morons) just can't accept that someone with a funny name and brown skin is their president.

As my Sister's husband's racist step-father said "I went to a TEA Party and it was nothing but guys like me, middle aged, veterans, males and white. When a black person came up to me and asked 'is this a white pride parade?' I said 'hell yes, and we're taking this country back!'" He said this to my girlfriend (who is Filipina and an immigrant, though her father served in the US Air Force) and I while having lunch two weeks ago. My girlfriend was absolutely terrified by what he said...he also said that there's going to be a Civil War and that the nation is getting heavily armed for battle. Now he's a successful 60-something year old...imagine what the 40-year old unemployed overtly-racist hicks are feeling...

Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Exactly, all the talk about Carter being the worst president, but Carter has done far more to help people in his career after the White House than any POTUS ever has, and he quite honestly speaks the truth in a allot of cases from an un-biased perspective. I have seen him scold the US as well as Hezbollah in certain cases, all that tells me is he does not march to the beat of someone else's drum. IMO the things Carter has done and continue to do will shine much brighter after he passes. And about this whole racist tone towards Obama, I’m not saying it permeates every aspect of disagreements and debates in regards to his policies, but when it rears it's heads it is quite obvious, and anyone with their radar up can see it. I actually just sit back and laugh as the birthers, tea-party enthusiasts, etc, are just digging their own graves. To the masses of us young people, both black and white they come off looking real silly and dumb, and all that will do is further alienate that particular portion of America in the years to come. I am beyond trying to change people like that, I am however confident that their fight is a losing one, with the way America is going they will be a fringe group of wackos in 30 years. But even with that the Republicans sealed their fate not with the youth but with the handling of the Hispanic community, 30 years from now that will come back to seriously bite them in the @ss
I think those groups you mentioned, tea party, birthers, etc., are fighting so hard now because they do, in fact, see "their power" slipping away. How far they will go is anybody's guess, IMO. However, I agree with you, that in the end they will have to change with the changing times. "White Men" are starting a long journey now toward no longer being the dominant power in the U.S.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Yes, you are correct, my apologies.

[youtube]yZymBti7700[/youtube]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZymBti7700]YouTube - Some like it hot - last lines[/url]

Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
didnt the leader of the tea party say obama was his quote: a indonesian welfare thug?

uh yeah, definently racial undertones.

doesnt help either with a crowd of 75000 and all of them with white faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies