Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The whole "of religion" vs "from religion" thing is lame. Being free to worship automatically includes being free to NOT worship.
Nobody is forcing anybody to worship. That is where the argument against religion is a complete and utter failure.

Show me a picture of somebody reading the bible with a gun to their head and I will concede there is an issue.

Until then, all you have is a bunch of people, making a big deal about something supported by the constitution, for the sake of stirring the pot.

Nothing more.

I am not religious in the slightest. Not at all. I really don't care if other people are or if they express it or if they put up signs. Who cares? Really? Is this really the most important thing in some peoples lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:09 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Nobody is forcing anybody to worship. That is where the argument against religion is a complete and utter failure.

Show me a picture of somebody reading the bible with a gun to their head and I will concede there is an issue.

Until then, all you have is a bunch of people, making a big deal about something supported by the constitution, for the sake of stirring the pot.

Nothing more.

I am not religious in the slightest. Not at all. I really don't care if other people are or if they express it or if they put up signs. Who cares? Really? Is this really the most important thing in some peoples lives?
Lot's of people do care and you should be glad they do so you don't have to. Nothing like "not caring" to allow something to run roughshod all over you without you even realizing it.

Freedom needs constant monitoring.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
When the Catholic church went out to convert the heathen, they converted them under threat of death.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The whole "of religion" vs "from religion" thing is lame. Being free to worship automatically includes being free to NOT worship.
I disagree. You cannot have freedom OF religion without freedom FROM religion. TKramar is correct, "atheism's major tenet would demand being free from religion." It is also inconsistent to argue that references to "God" is not the Christian God but a "generic God", yet continue to claim the US is a Christian nation.

The US is, without a doubt, predominately Christian and always has been. That in itself is more than ample justification to accurately claim the US is a Christian nation. That does not mean the US government endorses or promotes Christianity, it merely means that the overwhelming majority of the population are Christian.

The US government is, and by extension of the 14th Amendment the various State governments are, secular. They neither promote nor disparage any particular religion. Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli reaffirms this position: "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." Once again, it refers specifically to the US government, not to the people who are, or the Founding Fathers who were, predominately Christian.

I think some people are overly sensitive. Just because someone says the US is a Christian nation, they are not necessarily referring to government. And when someone else says the US is not a Christian nation, they are not necessarily referring to the religious denominations of the people. They both can be correct, the citizens of the US are predominately Christian AND the government of the US is not founded upon Christianity.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post

Nothing more.

But you do force your morality on me, by trying to get laws passed that support your version of morallity.

What many of us want, is to let everyone decide their own level of morallity, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. However, Christians are really quite against that.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Actually, many of the Founders were Deists--which is NOT a "Christian" religion. They didn't recognize Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies