Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
American CEOs should get as much money as they can get their hands on. That's the American way. Don't tamper with it. Plus, a large segment of Americans are rooting for the CEOs!
I disagree with you. The greedy CEO's can be stripped of everything as far as I'm concerned. They offshored for cheaper operating expenses, upped the price regardless and are reaping the profits while their US employess that are left make do with .5 -1 % raises.

But small/medium business CEO's and CEO's who do right by their company are lumped in and really shouldn't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I disagree with you. The greedy CEO's can be stripped of everything as far as I'm concerned. They offshored for cheaper operating expenses, upped the price regardless and are reaping the profits while their US employess that are left make do with .5 -1 % raises.
and yet, we buy their offshore crap because it is cheaper, but want to assume no responsibility as a consumer.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,105 times
Quote:

But small/medium business CEO's and CEO's who do right by their company are lumped in and really shouldn't be.
The disparity between the CEO and average worker is way out of whack. If the CEO is rewarded for company performance, so should all the workers, and vice versa.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The disparity between the CEO and average worker is way out of whack. If the CEO is rewarded for company performance, so should all the workers, and vice versa.
The ONLY one who should make that decision is the owner(s) of the company - NOT THE GOVERNMENT!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
and yet, we buy their offshore crap because it is cheaper, but want to assume no responsibility as a consumer.
Oh I go out of my way to NOT buy their stuff whenever possible.
I buy local first.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I agree there is too much of a gap. But I also agree with Greatday in that it is not the government's job to "fix it".

Don't buy their stuff. Don't work for them. Don't buy their stock.

We peons outnumber those elite by great numbers. Yet we moan and groan and whine and line up to buy their crap and work at their companies.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,536 times
Quote:
The main justification for the exhorbitant pay that American CEOs receive is that they made the company do well. What about the rest of the employees in the company?

Kramercat to answer your question directly NO under no-circumstance should anyone's pay be capped or decided upon by a central planning body (government) or by the majority of citizens. Any individuals not specifically qualified to make those decisions should never be in a position to make those decisions.

Okay, so there is a second part to this and it has to do with legislation/legal impact and the creation of either fair/just laws or unfair/unjust laws. The problem with what i wrote above has nothing to do with the actual pay, but the concept of individuals entrusted with the responsibility to create fair/just laws actually responsible doing their entrusted jobs. Legislators are entrusted by the electorate to make laws that are easily understood/comprehended (by the common man) and they should always strive to be fair/just. If the laws created by the legislators are unfair/unjust then any outcome from the legislation is by default going to result in an unfair outcome.

*Citizens for this purpose include (businesses, legislators, and the common man)

The problem or unfair outcomes in CEO pay revolves around how legislators in the past and present created laws in regards to business. The laws both past and present unfairly give advantages to one group (in this case companies) at the expense of other citizens (anyone that is not a company). There is a simple rule conservative legislators should follow when creating new laws. Conservative and non Conservative legislators should always strive to create fair/just laws, that do not advantage one group over another or do not disadvantage one group in relation to another.

Through the legislative creation of unfair/unjust laws Corporations (amongst a handful of other groups) have been able to benefit from legislative advantages not enjoyed by all members (citizens) of society. Thus the creation of unjust/unfair laws by legislators result in outcomes that are unjust and unfair.

The current CEO pay structure due to past and present legislation that unfairly gives them an advantage over other citizens has resulted in outcomes that are unfair. (results in fair outcomes from the perspective of the CEO and company, but anyone outside of this scope of advantage has been disadvantage by the unfair/unjust legislation created that favors businesses)

To fix the Corporate Pay Structure you must first fix the piece or pieces of legislation that led to the unfair advantage. The creation of fair/just laws that do not advantage any citizen (business or private citizen) over another or disadvantage any citizen in comparison to another citizen need to be created to remedy the current problem.

If fair/just laws were created to begin with then a CEO receiving 20 Million dollars a year by default would be a fair/just outcome. It would mean the CEO (Founder) etc would have justly earned his income due to experience, personal characteristics, and business acumen. However if he received 20 Million largely due to the creation of unjust/unfair laws that advantaged him over another citizen then the justification for someone that earns 20 Million under this scenario is hard to defend. The reality is the outcome was not derived solely from personal characteristics or business acumen, but largely from the unjust creation of legislation that favored the corporation above another group of citizens. Therefore by all accounts the gain in 20 Million worth of income is falsely attained through unjust/unfair legislation. (In other words the intervention on the part of government helped secure an income that otherwise would not have developed in the free-market without the help of legislators giving the CEO's corporation an unfair advantage in comparison to other citizens)

This is why i will continuously stress for legislation that is fair/just and extends freedom to each and every member of society (citizen). Until all citizens agree to end the practice of utilizing legislators in the creation of unfair/unjust laws, that only serve their interest and create an advantage over other citizens the problem will continue. Here we are singling out corporations for participating in the continuation of unfair/unjust laws that result in unjust/unfair outcomes, but until all citizens demand equal easily understandably legislation that results in the equal treatment of all citizens under law the problems will persist.

Rule of thumb

*If those individuals entrusted with the creation of laws on behalf of the general population create unfair/unjust laws that advantage one group over another (or vice versa) by default the only outcomes that will appear will be unfair/unjust.

Therefore, it is the one true goal of conservative legislators to create laws on behalf of the people that are fair/just and equally applicable to all citizens without exception. The conservative should strive to create laws that inherently do not give way to unfair/unjust outcomes. The conservative can only accomplish this goal through the creation of fair/just laws, which by default lead to fair/just outcomes.

Last edited by dorock99; 10-06-2009 at 10:42 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
I think the voters should have a say on how much we pay our politicians and public employees. Particulary in the benefits department.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,084 times
I have never been jealous about anyone elses pay. Just always payed close attention on how they worked and tryed to learn from them and improve my own situation. Jealousy is a waste of energy.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:11 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,105 times
Quote:
I agree there is too much of a gap. But I also agree with Greatday in that it is not the government's job to "fix it".

Don't buy their stuff. Don't work for them. Don't buy their stock.

We peons outnumber those elite by great numbers. Yet we moan and groan and whine and line up to buy their crap and work at their companies.
There is no reason why American CEOs should be so different from CEOs from other countries. In those countries the CEO ratio of pay to the average worker is much lower - hence the CEO is not raiding the company's bottom line and ALL of the worker's are sharing in corporate profits. If American greed is out of control, someone needs to reign it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies