Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
American CEOs should get as much money as they can get their hands on. That's the American way. Don't tamper with it. Plus, a large segment of Americans are rooting for the CEOs!
Work your ass off up the ranks of a company or invent something great like Google that improves peoples lives dramatically, and you'll become a rich CEO yourself.

Although you fully deserve your fortune, you'll watch jealous underachievers complain about the money you've rightfully earned. The American way, amigo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,170 times
Envy is bad.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
If the greedy can't contain their greed, then the government should do it for them.
OK - define "greedy" in your mind

And, while you are at it, why don't you give us your definition of "RICH"

Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Work your ass off up the ranks of a company or invent something great like Google that improves peoples lives dramatically, and you'll become a rich CEO yourself.

Although you fully deserve your fortune, you'll watch jealous underachievers complain about the money you've rightfully earned. The American way, amigo!
I have no problem with those who work their way up within the corporate structure.
Jealousy and envy is not my interest. I don't envy whopping piles of money, status symbols, nor prominent corporate positions.
I think that life is more that materialism. That's not very American, I know.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
OK - define "greedy" in your mind

And, while you are at it, why don't you give us your definition of "RICH"
YOU are a good example of the 'greedy' mindset. 'RICH' in my defined terms, has nothing to do with accumulation of wealth.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
YOU are a good example of the 'greedy' mindset. 'RICH' in my defined terms, has nothing to do with accumulation of wealth.
I'm sorry but, were you trying to define "greedy" by personally attacking me?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but, were you trying to define "greedy" by personally attacking me?
No, no, no... I wasn't 'attacking' you, I was describing you.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
No, no, no... I wasn't 'attacking' you, I was describing you.
But, I'm not greedy

Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
But, I'm not greedy
Deny, deny - but your words betray you.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
The main justification for the exhorbitant pay that American CEOs receive is that they made the company do well. What about the rest of the employees in the company? Don't THEY deserve some credit? Why aren't all employees in a corporation rewarded if it does well. There should be a set limit, like the CEO should not receive more than 50 times the average worker's pay. Some of them now get 400 - 500 times the average worker's pay! No wonder other countries shake their heads in disbelief. The head of the biggest bank in the world is Chinese and he makes less than $300k a year!

'You wouldn't know it by his pay stubs, but Jiang Jianqing heads the world's largest bank.

Jiang, chairman of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, made just $234,700 in 2008. That's less than 2 percent of the $19.6 million awarded to Jamie Dimon, chief executive of the world's fourth-largest bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co.'
In a perfect Utopian world, where the entire planet was under some form of dictatorial government, then your vision would be obtainable. The reason China is able to impose low wages, is because there government runs a prison state, where no one is allowed the freedom to set their own wages and prices, nor are they allowed to leave the country to seek better wages elsewhere, and anyone who attempts to mount opposition to the government is tossed in prison.

Unfortunately, in America we live in a free society, where a man can create his own business, set his own prices for his the products of his labor, and decide on his own, how much he will pay his employees.

In this country, a person's business either thrives or fails under the weight of a free market. If a person runs a business and their prices are too high, the product they offer is not needed or is of inferior quality, or if they cannot attract competent employees because they treat them badly and pays them poorly, then they may fail on their own.

If we try to limit wages in this country to match those of Jiang Jianqing in China, then our talented people will leave the country and work for another company outside the US. We will also not attract the talented people of other countries, so all we will be left with are the rejects, the less industrious, and those who choose to remain in America for patriotic, or sentimental reasons.

I get what you are trying to say, but what we need is leadership and a public that demands more equal pay distribution, not more laws and less freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies