Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times

Advertisements

I find any system amusing that will pay a heart surgeon, brain surgeon or ER physician 1-2 percent of the salary that a numbers cruncher or stock investor can make, which is really what these CEO's are, and the CEO's get better hours and more perks.

Wonderful prioritizing in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
If the greedy can't contain their greed, then the government should do it for them.
Unfortunately that would be tyranny, which goes against our rights and freedoms. You will need a president and a Congress that want to fundamentally change this country in order to pull that off.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Unfortunately that would be tyranny, which goes against our rights and freedoms. You will need a president and a Congress that want to fundamentally change this country in order to pull that off.
Tyranny already exists, just Wall Street is the perpetrator of it, not Washington.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I find any system amusing that will pay a heart surgeon, brain surgeon or ER physician 1-2 percent of the salary that a numbers cruncher or stock investor can make, which is really what these CEO's are, and the CEO's get better hours and more perks.

Wonderful prioritizing in this country.
Everyone needs money, most people never need a brain surgeon, and rarely need an ER physician.Unless people stand up and demand a more sane pay scale for the numbers cruncher or stock investor, then they will collect whatever the market is willing to pay them.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:49 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
We don't live in an utopian world, but there are things that can be done even in a non perfect capitalist society. Greedy CEOs? Nonsense! There are about 270 million greedy Americans who don't get paid much. Who cares how greedy are they? (I am greedy yet nobody pays me anything... ) That's not the point. The boards of directors who approve such packages are the problem because they wash each others hands. Its mostly an exclusive club with limited membership. When directors approve one CEO bonus, he returns the favor on another board. This practice has to be stopped. Investors SHOULD stop investing in those companies and the message will be clear. That's a matter of corporate culture. Its sufficient that a few large companies drop this practice, others will follow as always. Broads philosophy is mostly based on following the leader.
And contrary to what people believe, some CEOs (including talented ones) will be happy with under $1 million bonuses when all companies ride the same wave.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm sorry but, were you trying to define "greedy" by personally attacking me?
Seems like it, doesn't it.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Tyranny already exists, just Wall Street is the perpetrator of it, not Washington.
Wall Street is not the government, I was referring to the tyranny of government.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
We don't live in an utopian world, but there are things that can be done even in a non perfect capitalist society. CEOs are greedy? Nonsense! There are about 270 million greedy Americans who don't get paid much. Who cares how greedy are they? That's not the point. The boards of directors who approve such packages are the problem because they wash each others hands. Its mostly an exclusive club with limited membership. When directors approve one CEO bonus, he returns the favor on another board. This practice has to be stopped. Investors SHOULD stop investing in those companies and the message will be clear. That's a matter of corporate culture. Its sufficient that a few large companies drop this practice, others will follow as always. Broads philosophy is mostly based on following the leader.
And contrary to what people believe, some CEOs (including talented ones) will be happy with under $1 million bonuses when all companies ride the same wave.
Why can't they just be happy with $1 million period, not even a bonus. A person who lives responsibly can make $1 million last for 30-40 years. Why do they need multiple millions?

If investors can't have a conscience and use common sense and they screw things up for the rest of us then WE should correct them. We would do the same to someone who commits a violent crime, wouldn't we? How many responsible people went through foreclosure or lost a job because of inept corporate leadership or corporate deception? Isn't this criminal? We may not have a law against it, but isn't it wrong for a few wealthy people to bleed the rest of us dry just because the can and want to?

I'm fine with someone working hard and making a fair amount of money, but everything has limits, and if they're doing something society can function without, then maybe they should be happy they have a desk and an office and that they get a nice paycheck. Lots of people who do more important things get a lot less and seem to be at least moderately happy.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Everyone needs money, most people never need a brain surgeon, and rarely need an ER physician.Unless people stand up and demand a more sane pay scale for the numbers cruncher or stock investor, then they will collect whatever the market is willing to pay them.
I bet I know a lot more people that need or have needed an ER doc or brean surgeon, than I do who need or have needed a CEO. Don't you?

Demanding a more sane pay scale will never work, because they'll never listen.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Wall Street is not the government, I was referring to the tyranny of government.
The concept of tyranny is not solely restricted to government, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies