Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times

Advertisements

Most dogs are nicer than a lot of people, as demonstrated here!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:33 PM

264 posts, read 829,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
whom ever we chose as a mate?

and I believe it the WHOEVER that bothers alot of people, it you open this up to allow anyone to marry anyone or anything, you might have a serious serious problem, that is one point the religous right makes, that I do agree with, it could really out of hand, for example, someone could say, Oh I cant' help it, but I love three people and want to marry all three! I mean that is how sick it could get!
Umm..maybe I am wrong but dont the Mormons believe in polygamy? I know many people consider them a cult but they profess that they are Christians. Their ideas of more than one spouse came from their interpretation of the Scriptures and their own Book of Mormon and certainly not from the GLBT community. Personally, I couldnt imagine having two wives or even a wife and a "concubine" but I don't think the Mormons believe it to be "sick".

Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM

253 posts, read 640,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesacat View Post
Umm..maybe I am wrong but dont the Mormons believe in polygamy? I know many people consider them a cult but they profess that they are Christians. Their ideas of more than one spouse came from their interpretation of the Scriptures and their own Book of Mormon and certainly not from the GLBT community. Personally, I couldnt imagine having two wives or even a wife and a "concubine" but I don't think the Mormons believe it to be "sick".
Actually Mormons stopped practicing poligamy more than a century ago, but I understand what you are saying. And Abraham had a LOT of wives and concubine so the Bible does not condemn it.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:52 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,219 times
Well that does not apply to me, I am not a Chrisitian and I do not pick and choose my sins either btw. I think I lead a pretty good moral life, I am kind and thoughtful and I do not do good deeds in order to get into heaven...I do what I do to help people, out of the goodness of my heart.

Well look at all the that bible does condone here...its rather disgusting and yet only gays and liars go to hell? Oh ok.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:09 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,587 times
Well, what if one of my boys (teen and youn adult) told me they were gay? What would I do?

First I would love them. That is what moms should always do. And I would make sure they know that I love them.

Next I would modify the lecture of how they should treat their wife better than their own mother (which is pretty good). I would tell them to not marry a woman if they believe they are bisexual or homosexual. And I would tell them to never do to any woman or help a partner do to any woman what their father did to me by lying about being gay.

Then because I know a thing or two about the parts of gay male life that really are not very attractive, I would tell them to choose good men to partner with - stay out of parkway rest stops and public parks where gay sex is solicited within just a few feet of little league games. I have met gay men who actually think this is funny. So I would tell my boys that I expect them to be above that.

But they know a thing or two about this already. Their uncle died of AIDS after a long term relationship with a boyfriend who was a drug addict with multiple partners.

So I would tell them how much I trust them, and believe in them, and love them. And then they would go home, or out, or somewhere.

And then I'd probably go cry and puke, and then get drunk, and call a friend of mine whose ex was also gay who is active in PFLAG because her daughter came out last year and say "HOW MUCH MORE OF THIS CAN I TAKE!!!"

So I guess it is a good thing that they do not appear to be gay or interested in any of this.

Sorry it is not the correct answer, but it is an honest one.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:25 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
I think that it is an excellent answer. You have an emotional distate for homosexuality and hope that your children do not go down that path. We all have our preferences.

But you would be supportive, for them and for you, understanding, and not condemn them.

If I were gay, and you were my mother, I would be ok with your response.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
Well, what if one of my boys (teen and youn adult) told me they were gay? What would I do?

First I would love them. That is what moms should always do. And I would make sure they know that I love them.

Next I would modify the lecture of how they should treat their wife better than their own mother (which is pretty good). I would tell them to not marry a woman if they believe they are bisexual or homosexual. And I would tell them to never do to any woman or help a partner do to any woman what their father did to me by lying about being gay.

Then because I know a thing or two about the parts of gay male life that really are not very attractive, I would tell them to choose good men to partner with - stay out of parkway rest stops and public parks where gay sex is solicited within just a few feet of little league games. I have met gay men who actually think this is funny. So I would tell my boys that I expect them to be above that.

But they know a thing or two about this already. Their uncle died of AIDS after a long term relationship with a boyfriend who was a drug addict with multiple partners.

So I would tell them how much I trust them, and believe in them, and love them. And then they would go home, or out, or somewhere.

And then I'd probably go cry and puke, and then get drunk, and call a friend of mine whose ex was also gay who is active in PFLAG because her daughter came out last year and say "HOW MUCH MORE OF THIS CAN I TAKE!!!"

So I guess it is a good thing that they do not appear to be gay or interested in any of this.

I think you have a good response too, and I feel it's probably fairly close to how my mother reacted.

But why caution against marriage for bisexuals? 'Mos and Bis can engage in long-lasting relationships and do. If a bisexual person fell in love with someone of the opposite sex, that seems fine.

I share your distaste with men/women who keep their homosexuality on the "dl" and marry someone of the opposite gender for cover.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
You don't see anything wrong with 3 people marrying? See that is the biggest reason why homosexual marriage SHOULDN'T be allowed...because once gay marriage is a allowed...everyong is going to want to keep pushing and pushing a little further until they can marry their dog or whatever else they choose
My God, did you even read the points I made in my post?

Or try this: instead of reacting with more of the same ignorant ramblings, explain why you are against three people marrying. I justified my support of it (three humans, informed consent). Then we can discuss, k?

Old 05-15-2007, 06:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times
Hey there, you friendly moderator here. This is going to be the last warning to calm down. Another moderator had to come into this thread to help me out. If there is one more post that is flaming, insulting, degrading...you get the point. The thread will be closed. And you'll get no dessert after dinner! So be good.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:02 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
Default What to say...

I know it's not a popular or politically correct response, but I'm honest enough to put it down because IMHO it's a Biblically correct response.

I have two kids .... one of each. Me personally, I don't know what I'd say. I know I would love them. I would let them know that would never ever change. I would not foresake them and leave them alone in this world. I would love them all the more with all my being. However, I would not encourage their lifestyle choice. I believe it's a choice. I would pray for them. I would show them in the Bible, the infallible Word of God, where it is written that it is wrong to practice in homosexual sex. I would urge them to pray and reconsider their choice and inform them of all the consequences of their choice (medically, phycially, spiritually). I would leave it in God's hands to change their heart and turn them back to him.

Did I say I'd love them and never abandon them and love them more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies