Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:04 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,547 times

Advertisements

I am not a Biblical Scholar so would someone please show me where Jesus made any comments about gays, I can not find it.

After years of dealing with the worst man can do to each other my faith has been rocked at best. I have read all the posts and I get the point that the Christians find the act of homosexual sex a sin. Many have said they follow the bible teachings, but do you pick and chose? How many of you would support a return to the old laws that made women the property of the father/or husband?

(1 Cor 11:3-16) Now I want you to realise that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man...{7} A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. {8} For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; {9} neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. {10} For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.

(Eph 5:22-33) Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. {23} For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Saviour.

(1 Pet 3:1-7) Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands...

Rom 7:2-3) For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. {3} So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress.

Where is the cry to outlaw divorce?

The next passage comes from the same book that finds the act of homosexual sex a sin. Should we rally to implement this into law?

(Deu 22:13-21) If a man takes a wife and, after lying with her, dislikes her {14} and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, "I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity," {15} then the girl's father and mother shall bring proof that she was a virgin to the town elders at the gate. {16} The girl's father will say to the elders, "I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. {17} Now he has slandered her and said, 'I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.' But here is the proof of my daughter's virginity." Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, {18} and the elders shall take the man and punish him. {19} They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the girl's father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives. {20} If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl's virginity can be found, {21} she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father's house. You must purge the evil from among you.

So sayeth the Lord...

As a society we have evolved, maybe the next step is legal unions between whom ever we chose as a mate?

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:02 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,534 times
whom ever we chose as a mate?

and I believe it the WHOEVER that bothers alot of people, it you open this up to allow anyone to marry anyone or anything, you might have a serious serious problem, that is one point the religous right makes, that I do agree with, it could really out of hand, for example, someone could say, Oh I cant' help it, but I love three people and want to marry all three! I mean that is how sick it could get!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvcop32 View Post
I am not a Biblical Scholar so would someone please show me where Jesus made any comments about gays, I can not find it.

After years of dealing with the worst man can do to each other my faith has been rocked at best. I have read all the posts and I get the point that the Christians find the act of homosexual sex a sin. Many have said they follow the bible teachings, but do you pick and chose? How many of you would support a return to the old laws that made women the property of the father/or husband?

(1 Cor 11:3-16) Now I want you to realise that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man...{7} A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. {8} For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; {9} neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. {10} For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.

(Eph 5:22-33) Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. {23} For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Saviour.

(1 Pet 3:1-7) Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands...

Rom 7:2-3) For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. {3} So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress.

Where is the cry to outlaw divorce?

The next passage comes from the same book that finds the act of homosexual sex a sin. Should we rally to implement this into law?

(Deu 22:13-21) If a man takes a wife and, after lying with her, dislikes her {14} and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, "I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity," {15} then the girl's father and mother shall bring proof that she was a virgin to the town elders at the gate. {16} The girl's father will say to the elders, "I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. {17} Now he has slandered her and said, 'I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.' But here is the proof of my daughter's virginity." Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, {18} and the elders shall take the man and punish him. {19} They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the girl's father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives. {20} If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl's virginity can be found, {21} she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father's house. You must purge the evil from among you.

So sayeth the Lord...

As a society we have evolved, maybe the next step is legal unions between whom ever we chose as a mate?

Just my thoughts on the subject.

There is an entire thread on that topic. If that is the info you look for please read that forum. It is entitled, "where in the Bible does it say that being gay is wrong?"

Old 05-14-2007, 08:08 AM

It really could get way out of hand...maybe we could put provisions in it to NOT include people under age of 18, more than two human beings, and etc, to just keep things safe and healthy for our world maybe?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:34 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
whom ever we chose as a mate?

and I believe it the WHOEVER that bothers alot of people, it you open this up to allow anyone to marry anyone or anything, you might have a serious serious problem, that is one point the religous right makes, that I do agree with, it could really out of hand, for example, someone could say, Oh I cant' help it, but I love three people and want to marry all three! I mean that is how sick it could get!
Why shouldn't you be able to marry all three, so long as all three agree to marry you?

I can see no reason to restrict this. I personally would not want to be in such a relationship, but my personal reluctance should not restrict other people's choices in the matter.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:55 AM

This is why gay people will never have all their rights, cause of nuts who want to marry their dog or three other people or even other cases that are much much sinsiter! This is why guys! I have to admit that the religious right is correct in this case, as much as I Hate to admit that!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM

Honestly...seeing groups of people getting married, or people marrying their pets, would really creep me out, and really have me concerned bout the state of the world and our children's qualtiy of life!

I have no problem with two humans getting married, that is really fine by me, but to force me to accept it, no..that is wrong too, but I do believe all should have equal rights and marriage/ civil unions, which we do have btw.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
ive read most of the threads, so i guess i will put my opinion in...first, nothing my children could do will make me love them less, gay or whatever. I may not be happy about it, but its their choice and as long as I feel like ive done the best i can in their eyes and Gods Im okay with it. Do I want them to be..no. Do I think its a sin? yes. Sin is sin. If I take steal a few pens from work, is that sin? yes Same thing!
All I could do is trust that God will take care of them no matter! Id just have to put it in his hands.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:40 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay59 View Post
No one is forcing anything on anyone. All gays and lesbians want is equal rights and treatment--the RIGHT to marry, the right to have the same benefits straight couples do. Nothing more.

Why do you people make such a big deal about these things? And i didn't want to make this personal ,but I find it interesting that Hoosier_Guy hasn't responded to this thread.

As he claims to be an "ex-gay", I'd like to know how he's dealing with the feelings he still has for other men. Feelings that will never go away. I'm in no position to speak for someone else, but that must be a miserable existence.

Very unfair to put HG into this...he's been very clear about the fact that he IS dealing with this, and that is to abstain. Do you think his walk is any tougher or different than say, a recovering alcoholic or drug addict? No, it's not. It's a sin that he is more drawn to than others, that's all. I admire him for battling it because God clearly states that it is a sin. No greater, no worse than any other sin.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM

253 posts, read 640,705 times
I am kind of late to reply in this topic. I am 15 years old. I consider myself a Christian. I agree, I have seen a lot of ignorance and biggatry from within Christianity. I have no children, so I cannot say what I would do if such an event were to happen. In fact, I feel I could not answer such a question even if I had children, that is something I have not experienced and so I would like to say that I would take it calmly and accept it, but the truth is, I can't say that for a fact. I do believe that homosexuality is a sin, but I also believe it is beyond me to judge, that is not my calling for I have my own sins. I have many friends who are gay or bisexual. We don't talk about that because I don't want to offend them and they don't want to offend me, but there is plenty more to life and they are some of the nicest and most understanding people.
I still believe that if my child were to reveal such news to me that it would take me by surprize. It would surely be difficult for me, but I hope that I would not become angry at them for it. I do not agree completely with what you said, but I understand why you said it and I respect that. And it is good to see so many people who do not judge so openly ignoring their own faults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.