Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 05:37 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Brittz
- are there christians out there who don't have the profound arrogance to pretend they know what other peoples sins are??

Are there christians out there who just worry about their own life and relationship with god and have too much humility to presume they have the right to label some action of another as a sin??

Myself, I know whats right for me...I don't presume to believe that my path in life is right for anyone else...I have some VERY strong beliefs, I am going out of my way to NOT brainwash my child with them...I tell her what I believe and then I point out what some other groups think...I tell her when she gets older there might come a time when she feels a certain way about something but it will be her choice, to decide for example to attend church or not, which church to attend or to be an atheist...

How can you have freedom of religion when there is no freedom of choice, brainwashing your child is taking that freedom of choice away from them...
What are you talking about? Forgive me if I have misinterpreted your post, but it seems as though you are attacking me. All through my posts I have said point blank that the laws of Christians DO NOT apply to Christians. How is that demonstrating profound arrogance in knowing what other people's sins are? As for your children, if you do not instill values and morals one way or another in your child and simply say, "her is how I feel, and here is how everyone else feels. go figure it out for yourself." You are doing nothing but planting the seeds of confusion. You have to instill some sort of believes Christian, atheist, liberal, conservative, whatever in your children so that they have a place from wich to start, and then once they have an understanding allow them to change, alter, reject, whatever values you have given them. I instll Christian values in my children, but I do not know if they will grow up to be Christian or not. I pray they do, but they will have to make that choice when they are able and ready to. Again forgive me if I am mis-interpreting you and help me to understand if I am off base.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:38 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
what is amazing is i am not in here telling gays i would come in their house and tell them how to run their home or live in their homes, but they seem to think they can tell others how to live and yet they dont want to be judged or others to impose values on them
Who's telling you how to live?? I live in the "gayest" city in the country (world, perhaps), and there aren't any gay people knocking on doors trying to convert people here... well, my gay roommate occasionally knocks when he forgets the key, LOL. But seriously, even in San Francisco, I've never heard anyone preaching at heteros about being gay, or even about accepting them. They want to "live and let live" just like the rest of us, but unfortunately they have to speak up occasionally when rights are being denied. If this wasn't an issue, they wouldn't have to say anything, right? And even when they have a parade or rally, nobody is FORCED to attend or cheer them on... you have the right to walk on by, ignore them, even shun them if you so desire. But no gay people are trying to take away your rights, or convert you to their way of thinking - only people I know who do that are the "bible-thumpers".

Old 05-11-2007, 05:47 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
If my child told me he/she were gay, I would look them straight in the eye!! Grab a fierce hold on that child..And say I love you!!

Old 05-11-2007, 05:49 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,909,633 times
gizmo and if you read the OP no one was talking about coming into anyones home to tell them what to do but you were telling me and others how it was inferior to treat someone in our homes a certain way, in OUR homes.

so if we cant tell you dont think it is fair to tell us

Old 05-11-2007, 05:51 PM

blue me too

Old 05-11-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
gizmo and if you read the OP no one was talking about coming into anyones home to tell them what to do but you were telling me and others how it was inferior to treat someone in our homes a certain way, in OUR homes.

so if we cant tell you dont think it is fair to tell us
You're the one who said it, not me... look back at your post, where you stated that gays were "telling you how to live". I wouldn't have mentioned it if you hadn't implied it, so don't try and divert the "blame" onto me! You seem to do that a lot, perhaps to avoid addressing the points people are making...

Old 05-11-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
What? where do you get all this nonsense that you post everywhere?
It isn't nonsense, it was related to the comment about following God's word in his home... if you expect your children to follow the Bible, you'd best stick to EVERY part of it - not just the (debatable) passages regarding homosexuality.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:24 PM

yes that was after you stated we should impose our beliefs on others and after others were telling us we were wrong to not have rules against our own kids who are gay and not hetero and married. do not try and pick out what you like and forget what was said in context of the OP

Old 05-11-2007, 06:25 PM

and they are not debatable parts in the Bible, they are clear in my home and in the Bible--sin is clear in teh bible no problems understanding them

Old 05-11-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
yes that was after you stated we should impose our beliefs on others and after others were telling us we were wrong to not have rules against our own kids who are gay and not hetero and married. do not try and pick out what you like and forget what was said in context of the OP
What??? Sorry, but you're losing me again... it's called a conversation, and anything I've said to you was only in response to your words. Btw, I never said you SHOULD impose your beliefs on others, I said that you DO. And that's totally related to the original topic... but I'm not going to argue semantics with you anymore, since that really is off-topic. Try answering the real comments, and stop turning it into a personal argument of "he said she said", please.

Edit: Btw, where did I ever say you were WRONG, or shouldn't treat your child the way you choose? Look back, and you'll see that I said the opposite - that I don't care what you do or feel, as long as you're not trying to impose LAWS upon others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies