Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 04:00 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,102 times

Advertisements

gizmo, there are lots of things people do to treat people as second class citizens, my house is not a government so i dont treat anyone as a second class citizen, gays are allowed in my house and my gay child would be too, but not sleeping with their lover in my house--it is immoral and i wouldnt allow my child to do drugs in my house either--doesnt mean they are inferior, i just dont allow them to do those immoral things in my house.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,291 times
This is a lot of malarky. The point that Carolinajack is making, if I understand him correctly. Is that he would not allow any of his unmarried children to sleep together in his house. Married children can however sleep together as they are joined as husband and wife in a Christian marriage. The contention comes because a Christian marriage is defined as the union between man and woman as a holy covenant of God. There is nothing here that treats anyone as inferior or less of a human being. I agree completely as I am a Christian and have personal experience. I slept on a dumb air matress in my in laws house for three months before I married my wife because that was where I was able to live as a poor grad student in Southern California and I am proud to say I did it.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:11 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Fundamentally, I believe most families followed this procedure--not married, sleep separately, and that includes those outside of the Christian faith.

My parents would have about died before they'd let any of us sleep with a partner outside of marriage (circa 1970s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
This is a lot of malarky. The point that Carolinajack is making, if I understand him correctly. Is that he would not allow any of his unmarried children to sleep together in his house. Married children can however sleep together as they are joined as husband and wife in a Christian marriage. The contention comes because a Christian marriage is defined as the union between man and woman as a holy covenant of God. There is nothing here that treats anyone as inferior or less of a human being. I agree completely as I am a Christian and have personal experience. I slept on a dumb air matress in my in laws house for three months before I married my wife because that was where I was able to live as a poor grad student in Southern California and I am proud to say I did it.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:12 PM

I sure hope if Lindsay is reading, some of this is helpful, reassuring and not upsetting.

Somehow, we've veered away from her thread, and posting.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:12 PM

yes
thanks BrittZ i know people who treat me inferior due to race, not behavior, i am talking behavior and not the person, whom i would allow in my house but I would not accept the behaviors in my house

Old 05-11-2007, 04:14 PM

ontheroad, i havent veered from her OP

Old 05-11-2007, 04:18 PM

CJ, didn't point any fingers, but if we--meaning any one of us--argue about it, it can go way off--and I suppose I am personally feeling protective.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
In other words, I'd be on that air mattress indefinitely, whether I've been with my life partner for 30 days or 30 years? At what point do you draw the line? When does an unmarried partnership become "equalized" in terms of a legal marriage? You mean to tell me that Britney Spears can have a 24-hour drive-thru sham heterosexual wedding and could share a bed in your home if she were your child, yet if she were a lesbian and with Rosie O'Donnell for 30 years, they'd still be separated? If you know for certain that this couple is legally-barred from marriage, then why treat them as INFERIORS to heterosexual married couples who have been joined for even less time? Stop with this "marriage is a Christian institution" baloney too. If that's truly the way you feel, then why aren't you out there trying to prevent Atheist heterosexual couples from getting married and enjoying the same medical and legal benefits that Christian heterosexual couples can while homosexual Christian couples can NOT? If marriage is supposedly a "Christian" institution, then why do you support Atheists being set on the same pedestal as Christians in that respect? If you don't, then why don't some of you anti-gay marriage people prove to me why it is any different for a straight atheist couple to enter into a Christian institution? I'm just not understanding this, and it just doesn't seem FAIR to me at all!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:20 PM

yes scranton, you could sleep in the guest bedroom and my son would have to sleep in his bed
or you would have to go else where. I had to do that before i got married, live in my own place, sleep seperate and i want others to respect my house as i do theirs

Old 05-11-2007, 04:24 PM

what is amazing is i am not in here telling gays i would come in their house and tell them how to run their home or live in their homes, but they seem to think they can tell others how to live and yet they dont want to be judged or others to impose values on them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies