Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,988,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Indeed unfortunate, but it does not reflect every southerner, Confederate soldier or Confederate Flag waver.
I understand what you are saying. But you do not know the pain that flag caused to my family

My Grand mother was from South Carolina. To me the real South is hearing her southern draw. Tasting her country cooking and enjoying Myrtle Beach in the Summer.

That's some of the good things I know about the South. I will always cherish that.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,988,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What an ignorant remark. Do you think there was not savages in the North also? War is hell.

Seems like Shermans march across the south burning & looting was pretty savage. Was that justified ?
War is Hell!

Could you tell me what was the Southern way of life for White's compared to Black's?

I do not mean to offend anyone but the people who raise that flag for racism.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
And many of us respect the flag because it is a large part of our heritage & history.

It was the 5th flag out of 6 that has flown over the great state of TX.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,016,643 times
Quote:
War is Hell!

Could you tell me what was the Southern way of life for White's compared to Black's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And many of us respect the flag because it is a large part of our heritage & history.

It was the 5th flag out of 6 that has flown over the great state of TX.
See, perfect example of my "it's all a matter of perception" argument. I side with Rakin because my setiments are dead on. Mr. Opinion I respect your views but we don't see it as the same, and you just can't make sweeping statements like that because they just don't apply to everyone.

On the first page of this thread I mentioned my informative speech from college. And in that essay I showed how some see it as a symbol of hate, but I showed how and why it is a sign of heritage. You should look up the SCV 1992 referendum rejecting hategroups that use the flag.

And a question, after researching the internet, I read that Nazi Germany actually banned the Confederate Battle Flag within it's territory, can someone confirm it?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,682,706 times
Well this thread is living proof that the confederate flag will never die.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,712,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Well this thread is living proof that the confederate flag will never die.
How so? Just because we're talking about it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the confederate flag will never die". It's only "alive" in symbolism. As far as I know, The Confederacy is no longer a sovereign country, and the Confederate Flag is no longer an official flag for any nation.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,200,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
See, perfect example of my "it's all a matter of perception" argument. I side with Rakin because my setiments are dead on. Mr. Opinion I respect your views but we don't see it as the same, and you just can't make sweeping statements like that because they just don't apply to everyone.

On the first page of this thread I mentioned my informative speech from college. And in that essay I showed how some see it as a symbol of hate, but I showed how and why it is a sign of heritage. You should look up the SCV 1992 referendum rejecting hategroups that use the flag.

And a question, after researching the internet, I read that Nazi Germany actually banned the Confederate Battle Flag within it's territory, can someone confirm it?
When you created this thread you indicated that you just didn't know what think, and that you were in a mental rut. Yet, it is clear by your posts that you are quite certain in what you think. There really was no reason to create this thread, unless you wanted to hear proponents of the confederate flag give credence to your own beliefs.

I painstakingly read this thread and my opinion has not changed at all. The confederate flag does mean different things to different people. That is not disputable. What is important to acknowledge (and of course this has been mentioned numerous times before) is that irrespective to the myriad meanings of the confederate flag, it is overshadowed by its key (and very current) meaning. That, of course, is its symbolism of hate and racism.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:14 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,420,741 times
Quote:

Read what book? My family lived it.

I'm glad the Confederates lost. God made it happen. The Running Rebels lost hooray!!!!!!!

The Confederates were really savages. Not the Native Americans.
The Confederate g'ment was the ONLY American g'ment that made treaties with all Five Nations...

And kept them.

Think on that.

Or think about General Stand Watie, last Confederate officer to surrender.

BTW, which one of your family is 144 years old?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:34 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,420,741 times
Slavery existed across this Nation for her entire history. Despite abolishing slavery in 1853, over ten thousand slaves worked the New York docks, for example, the CSA was the first US g'ment to ban importation of slaves, and enforce it, ad 5 Nothern States refused to abolish slavvery until the 13th was ratified.

Whether you believe the war was justified or an atrocity, the Battle Flag (what people mistakenly call "Confederate Flag") was NOT a symbol of slavery.

If you want to blast a flag, the 1st, 2nd, or (yuck) 3rd National are your targets.

The average soldier faught bravely for his home, white or free black, under that banner, a symbol of bravery, of staunch reistance in the face of overwhelming odds, of pride, of honor, of freedom.

So remember this next time you sneer at a Southern Cross plate, or shout at your neighbor for flying the Battle Flag...

Not until the modern version of the Klan, started in 1915 and based on the fictional and romantasised version of the first Klan in Birth of a Nation, did the Southern Cross become associated with a racist, anti-Catholic, anti-Republican, anti-semetic agenda.

Want to make a change?

Write your congress-critter and demand the Southern Cross be moved under the protections of a historical US flag. Yank that tortured symbol right out of the hands of the Klan.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 PM

900 posts, read 675,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
There are over ten thousand slaves listed on the 1860 NY tax rolls working the docks of NY harbor. However, slaves were simply too expensive in the north, where housing and food were required to support a work force idle for two or three months a year.

You also obviously don't know about the five "Border States", Union states which did not abolish slavery, or SC leaving over the citizens of the new state of Oklahoma not being permitted to vote on slavery at all.

I suggest reading up on the subject before jumping into the thread feet first with eyes closed.
None of that changes the fact that southern states seceded because they wanted to preserve slavery. Why is that so hard for you to acknowledge? Just admit it. an absolute pimple on human history, and the South thought it was worth going to war over!!

Your 'justification' for SC leaving th union because the new state of Oklahoma wasn't able to vote on slavery is ridiculous on two points:

First, the idea that a state voting on slavery somehow is an inherent right worthy of secession.

And secondly, Oklahoma became a state in 1907. What on earth are you talking about?

And you suggest I should read up on the subject? At least I know when the Civil War was fought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies