Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:51 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The presence of the burqa pre-exists Islam in the Middle-east.

Burqa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally dislike any religion that oppresses anyone, particularily women, but would never presume to tell anyone how to practice their religion just as I would be very unhappy if someone told me how to practice mine.
I know. We even allow people to slaughter animals in the US because their God wants that.
But, just as women must have their faces uncovered for a drivers's license, it is a security measure, to my mind. Who knows if it is not some guy or gal with bombs strapped to their body or some mass murderer wanted by the police who is just wandering around in that garb?
Remember when that Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped as a young lady, right from her parent's home, and the perp had her wandering around town with his harem, terrified, but completely covered in white which he demanded as part of his 'religion'? I don't think it is persecution if all people are expected to cooperate for the public safety. I think both religions should be expected to conform.

Last edited by goldengrain; 01-30-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Default France thinking of banning face veils

Sarkozy to submit bill banning Islamic face veils - Europe- msnbc.com

What do you think????
I have to mull this over for a few before I decide where I would stand on this

Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
I don't think they should outright ban them, but they should make it unacceptable to wear them in certain situation.

For instance, if you enter a store, or a bank, or restaurant etc., the owners of that establishment should have every right to tell them to show their face. It's a safety issue as well as a crime deterrent issue.

Imagine a store being robbed at gunpoint and the owner has to describe the person as 'Between 5'4 and 5'8 and their eyes are brown' and that's all they have to go on?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
If France feels that banning veils is necessary for security reasons, I support it.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't think they should outright ban them, but they should make it unacceptable to wear them in certain situation.

For instance, if you enter a store, or a bank, or restaurant etc., the owners of that establishment should have every right to tell them to show their face. It's a safety issue as well as a crime deterrent issue.

Imagine a store being robbed at gunpoint and the owner has to describe the person as 'Between 5'4 and 5'8 and their eyes are brown' and that's all they have to go on?
Well if it were worded for security issues I could understand it..but this women's dignity thing..who is sarkozy to decide if muslim women feel their dignity is compromised by the wearing of a veil....that's the part I don't like

Old 04-21-2010, 10:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well if it were worded for security issues I could understand it..but this women's dignity thing..who is sarkozy to decide if muslim women feel their dignity is compromised by the wearing of a veil....that's the part I don't like
I agree. It seems that Sarkozy is using "womens dignity" as a cover for some other ulterior motive. Recall that France suffered from major riots several years ago that were pretty much the work of Islamic nomads, poor people, and minorities.

Something tells me Sarkozy is retaliating for that damage. Something like "You're welcome to move to France, Mr. and Mrs. Islam, but you WILL abide by our laws."

I like it.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:38 AM

769 posts, read 887,440 times
Quote:

Ok, they can say it doesn't compromise dignity and that the women want to wear them, but saying the full body burkas isn't straight up subordinating women is like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad saying Iran doesn't want nuclear weapons. This is adult life, drop the charade.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Agreed. While I do err on the side of 'veils are a tool for subjugating and repressing women in a patriarchal society', I do understand that for some women who grew up in that culture, it would be like forcing me to walk around in a bikini because 'clothing' is causing my dignity to be compromised. Very uncomfortable indeed.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,403 times
People should be able to wear whatever they want. If this wasn't something targeting Muslims, people would be throwing a fit on how this restricts our freedoms.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
Ok, they can say it doesn't compromise dignity and that the women want to wear them, but saying the full body burkas isn't straight up subordinating women is like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad saying Iran doesn't want nuclear weapons. This is adult life, drop the charade.
No charade on my part there pal.....I've no idea what muslim women think as I did not grow up in that culture and would not even remotely presume to know if their dignity is compromised..now if you forced me to wear a veil or burka that's another story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies