Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You obviously don't understand religious tolerance 1.01. If you defend Christianity, then you are a patriot. If you defend all regious freedoms, especially Islam, then you are a terrorist sympathizer. Expecting people to respect your religion does not mean you are ever required to respect others. It is a one-way street.

sarc off/
http://skeptically.org/sitebuilderco...ath-rights.gif

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-19-2010 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
In New York and many cities it is the law that people cannot wear masks in public.
Everyone should conform to the law of the land and we should not make exceptions for religion.
This is why some countries make people sign an oath to the country's laws before their religious laws if there is a conflict.
In western countries where honor killing is not allowed underage Muslim girls who offend their daddies or husbands are shipped back home 'to visit family' and are punished or killed there. We have no laws saying parents cannot send their kids to visit grandma so we cannot protect these children.
It's unfortunate that terrorism in the world is so linked to one religion, but there are many Muslims in the U.S. who do not wear a burka and God does not punish them.
Also, the Koran does not dictate burka wearing.
It says both men and women are to dress modestly. It is men who refuse to wear such attire themselves and interpret the law to cover women only. That, it seems to me, defies the will of God as expressed inthe Koran and IS to subjigate women. It is prejudiced against women and only a man's interpretation of the law.
I think Muslim women should be protected by our law in our countries, even when underage. I think if a girl thinks she's being shipped back home for punishment she should be given solcace here.
There, in our countries, are limits to religious freedom. We don't allow human sacrifice, even if a religion decided that's what God wants. Well, burka wearing - that is, disguises - in countries that are target for terrorists should also be banned.

If a Western women goes to Saudi Arabia she dons their clothing out of respect for beliefs she thinks are horrendous. When they come to the West they should affod us the same respect.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,281,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
France moves closer to banning full Muslim veil - Yahoo! News

Good or bad? Even though I despise Islam and all, I do not think that they should ban the veil. It doesn't harm anyone. If a woman chooses to be covered, then let her. And what if she is cold? For real? Will they ban scarfs too?
Bout time they wise up!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,339,102 times
Default Do you think france is right in wanting to ban the burqa

I live in Canada and I see many, many people wearing the burqa and the hijab. How do you feel about it?
I worry about it as a safety issue as how can they possibly see well enough to drive as the burqa covers everything but their eyes. How is their peripheral vision wearing this?
So how do you feel about women wearing this in non-muslim countries?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
France moves closer to banning full Muslim veil

Duplicate thread.
You might find your answer in the other discussion.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Not my country, I can't say whats right for them.

I don't want it banned in my country though.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,357,932 times
having listened to the aruguments for and against this proposed ban, I find myself still "fence sitting" on the issue. I will however continue to belive that banning anything is probably not the best way to eliminate a behavior or ? Most, if not all bans, tend to create a solid resistance that perpetuates an unwise behavior, rather than allowing it to die a natural death. . . .

Old 07-19-2010, 07:39 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,167 times
On one hand,a ban goes against freedom,on the other if they wish to live as..
They did in Pakistan,etc maybe they should stay there.
From what i have heard of Canada they go overboard catering to immigrants.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:42 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
On one hand,a ban goes against freedom,on the other if they wish to live as..
They did in Pakistan,etc maybe they should stay there.
From what i have heard of Canada they go overboard catering to immigrants.
I guess we should ban St. Patricks day to. Maybe Cinco de Mayo is next?

The point is, you can't pick and choose who's traditions you are going to follow. The fact is, unless it hurts the public in a direct manner, then it should be up to the individual.

Frances law is because they fear that women are being forced to wear these things, with or without their objections. I understand that fear, and I find it horrible that a woman might be forced to wear this crap, because of her husbands religious and moral views.

HOWEVER....

I know there are some women out there who want to wear these, and they should have the freedom to do so.

Thats why I say no ban. Restricting what the general public can do, because of what a few radical individuals do, isn't democracy. We try that in our country with Sunday alcohol bans, marijuana, and several other instances.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,167 times
Theres potential issues there,driving safely and if a police stopped and asked for ID..
Would they show their face to verify who they are?
Europe doesnt have true freedom anyway,they have laws restricting free speech.
And usually those laws have double standards,but i dont want to get off topic.
I see your point though,maybe instead of passing laws like this..
They could do a better job of controlling who they let into france.
Only let people with similar cultures that fit easily into french society!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies