Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 PM

38,576 posts, read 22,446,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirriam View Post
Um, but it IS true. Foreign companies with a subsidiary in the US can contribute money for ad campaigns under this law. If it's not true, they need to be sure that's in the text of the law.

The whole law stinks and I am completely against it. I won't vote for any more corporate-owned candidates, Dem or Rep.
"Foreign corporations" and "foreign entities" have never been able to contribute to political campaigns, 0bama lied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM

971 posts, read 1,297,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yes, Obama was.
Since when is Obama an impartial instrument of the law?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:36 PM

25,836 posts, read 20,776,320 times
The judge's reaction was completely out of line. Members of the supreme court are not supposed to offer any outward indication of their political leanings. Excellent essay on this here:

"It was clear from Sam Alito's confirmation hearing and his record of appellate opinions that he is a dogmatic, state-revering, right-wing judge. But last night, he unmasked himself as a politicized and intemperate Republican as well. "

Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Also, the president was not wrong. As already noted, there are any number of companies here with foreign partners, investors, etc. Fox Corp. jumps quickly to mind and I'm not talking about Mr. Murdoch either.

Also, see this thread for additional commentary on the same subject:.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...eme-court.html

Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,348,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Since when is Obama an impartial instrument of the law?
I was referring to the unprofessional and utterly unbecoming portion of your statement, but you already knew that so I assume your question to be rhetorical.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,799,993 times
When I attack you with lies and hate, like I'm above and better than you, and then tell you tough, I'll do it anyway, screw the Constitution.

Are you going to blink?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,840,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The judge's reaction was completely out of line. Members of the supreme court are not supposed to offer any outward indication of their political leanings.
"Not true."

These two words indicate political leanings? I was not aware of that.

(It's not like he shouted, "You lie!" - although I don't think that indicates political leanings either)

Last edited by tyanger; 01-28-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 06:47 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,347,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, clearly, Obama was wrong. And for him to criticize the Supreme Court that way, is pure arrogance.

Obama didn't have a clue. Or he lied on purpose.

The Supreme Court upheld free speech. This was a victory for all Ameicans, when we have a President, and his administration, who are tryig to limit free speech. Obama would like to silence talk radio, for example. I think the Supreme Court just made it clear that he cannot. That is why Obama is "pissed".

Too bad "Barry". Go back to Kenya. Have a nice life. You aren't welcome here. Poorest excuse for a "president" I have seen in my lifetime.

Obama lied.

It is against the law for a foreign company to contribute to any political person.

He does not even know the law?????

Whether they can hide it or not is not the point, the face that Obama lied in his own speech or did not know the law is the point.

What a lawyer he is, he did not even research the law before looking like a total fool.

Obama owes them an apology and has NO RIGHT to question their decision.

I believe their decision was the correct one, but Obama lied to us and then did one of the most un-classy things I have ever seen by attacking them for making a decision.

What the libs and Obama cannot stand is they were not bought off or scared into making the decision Obama wanted. That is totally it.

Obama could not hang with Alito. He might as well apologize and stop being such a d-i-c-k crybaby when things do not go his way.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,347,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
"Not true."

These two words indicate political leanings? I was not aware of that.

So now the liberals want to stop the freedom of speech?

You gotta to be kidding me.

This just shows how hypocritical the left wing nuts are.

The man has the right to his freedom of speech and when Obama LIED, Alito caught it and responded.

Obama is not above Alito in any way and if Obama did not want this response then he should have never disrespected any member of the court.

Thanks for letting us know that liberals hate free speech when it comes to something they want shut down.

How anti American of the libs to want to shut down our freedoms.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,067,925 times
I did not like the Sc ruling either. But you do not humiliate the accomplished Justices on national TV duing the State of the Union.

It may have been the most classless act by a President since Watergate.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,348,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Obama lied.

It is against the law for a foreign company to contribute to any political person.

He does not even know the law?????

Whether they can hide it or not is not the point, the face that Obama lied in his own speech or did not know the law is the point.

What a lawyer he is, he did not even research the law before looking like a total fool.

Obama owes them an apology and has NO RIGHT to question their decision.

I believe their decision was the correct one, but Obama lied to us and then did one of the most un-classy things I have ever seen by attacking them for making a decision.

What the libs and Obama cannot stand is they were not bought off or scared into making the decision Obama wanted. That is totally it.

Obama could not hang with Alito. He might as well apologize and stop being such a d-i-c-k crybaby when things do not go his way.
He did a full-frontal assault on the SC in front of the entire congress and the nation during his SOTU address. He is a classless POS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies