Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 11:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
That doesn't answer the question.....why do anti-choicers think abortion is different in rape or incest cases?
Involuntary / Force v Voluntary (consensual)

Old 02-06-2010, 01:53 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The mother's boyfriend currently in jail on unrelated charges.
Wrong guy.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
What 40 year old using abortion as birth control did I mention??

My POINT is that the anti-choicers cite abortion as taking a life but then do a 180 and say it's OK in case of rape.

My question that NONE of them has ever been able to answer is:

Abortion is abortion...the deed is no different whether the female is raped or not.

So why do they feel abortion is different in the case of rape???
Because there was no consent involved in the act that caused the pregnancy. I am still against abortion but in the case of rape, the woman would be justified in terminating the pregnancy as she never gave consent for the sexual act. Personally, I'd rather her do it immediately via after-the-fact pill versus allowing the child to grow then terminate the pregnancy. Also, several folks brought up a valid point about the risks of this 11 yr old child carrying the baby to term which poses serious health risks - this is also another case where abortion would be a viable option.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Just to clarify if my prior response was not clear, the difference is the fact that the woman never consented to the sexual act that caused the pregnancy and had no means to prevent it via birth control. That is the difference.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
The more I read about stories like that, the more I think the only solution for today's kids is the chastity belt! Screw the pill and the condoms
I agree that a chastity belt may do our teenagers some good but this particular case appears to be a rape case.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
Quote:
What 40 year old using abortion as birth control did I mention??

My POINT is that the anti-choicers cite abortion as taking a life but then do a 180 and say it's OK in case of rape.

My question that NONE of them has ever been able to answer is:

Abortion is abortion...the deed is no different whether the female is raped or not.

You were the one trying to equate this situation with a forty year old woman. Anyway, my point was that there is a difference between a ten year old rape victim (one side of the extreme) and a forty year old having twenty abortions (the other side of the extreme). Both things happen, luckily both are fairly rare.

As to prolife who would make an exception in the case of rape --- I would say that they are trying to be compassionate and understanding that there are extreme situations that abortion (even though ending a life) can be the only solution.

It really is only the fanatics of any cause/ideology that cannot see the gray in any situation.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:50 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
can we use a rusty piano string?

my grandpa had a better solution for these things.

nail his nads to a stump give him a butter knife and lite the stump on fire.
My father thought like your grandpa...nail his b*lls to the floor of a barn, hand him a rusty razor blade and set the barn on fire.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
"'My daughter and (her) baby are fine, and the baby is absolutely beautiful,' said the mother of the 11-year-old girl."

"Update: Her stepfather is the father"

What's with that mother?! How could you be so... dislocated as to sit by and watch your 11-year-old through a nine-month (I guess) pregnancy... knowing....

>yack<

Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
What a tragic story. In my nursing career I have taken care of my fair share of babies with very young teen mothers. Heartbreaking because the future for all concerned appears bleak. Sadder when you see the cycle repeated generation after generation. Nothing more pathetic than seeing a proud 40 year-old greatgrandmother.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:59 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Because there was no consent involved in the act that caused the pregnancy. I am still against abortion but in the case of rape, the woman would be justified in terminating the pregnancy as she never gave consent for the sexual act. Personally, I'd rather her do it immediately via after-the-fact pill versus allowing the child to grow then terminate the pregnancy. Also, several folks brought up a valid point about the risks of this 11 yr old child carrying the baby to term which poses serious health risks - this is also another case where abortion would be a viable option.

So it's not the actual ACT of an abortion you object to....

just people having sex that you don't approve of...

Like I said..."""Oh, I see, choice is OK with anti-choice people if it's THEIR choice.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies