Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:28 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Most of the people complaining on this thread are thumpers.
You still haven't responded to the issue, is it because you can't?
What's a thumper?

Bowing the whistle on people ripping off the system is very time consuming and a fool's folly.

I think I do my best to do good for people. Blowing a whistle on people sucking off the government is not part of that.

The Government should simply practice due diligence and catch them themselves. They turn a blind eye on OBVIOUS abusers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
The last thing the people running these programs want is people getting off them. If they don't use up their budget this year, they could get a budget cut next year. It's a hideous cycle.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
What's a thumper?

Bowing the whistle on people ripping off the system is very time consuming and a fool's folly.

I think I do my best to do good for people. Blowing a whistle on people sucking off the government is not part of that.

The Government should simply practice due diligence and catch them themselves. They turn a blind eye on OBVIOUS abusers.
If you don't want to do the work and you say you "know" someone is acting in a criminal way, you are complicit in that crime.

Then do not ever complain about people getting over on the system.
You let them.
Yes, you condone cheating if you do nothing.

There aren't enough case workers to micro-manage the system.

You're saying that this is a-ok in your book.
Or is it that you have no proof therefore nothing to base your allegations on?

Gee, I wonder what the answer is.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:31 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,929 times
Quote:
What's a thumper?

How hard is it to call one of the numbers in the web sites I listed earlier?
Seems as though from your comment that you don't care enough about the problem to take any action....

Last edited by Bagger; 02-07-2010 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Corrected speeling and added a little text.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
How hard is it to call one of the numbers in the web sites I listed earlier?
Seems as though from your comment that you don't care enough about the problem to take any action....
But she'll complain about the problem.
Interesting logic (see previous post).

Old 02-07-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
If you don't want to do the work and you say you "know" someone is acting in a criminal way, you are complicit in that crime.

Then do not ever complain about people getting over on the system.
You let them.
Yes, you condone cheating if you do nothing.

There aren't enough case workers to micro-manage the system.

You're saying that this is a-ok in your book.
Or is it that you have no proof therefore nothing to base your allegations on?

Gee, I wonder what the answer is.
Are you implying that I would lie about this?

I don't condone cheating, but I also don't have the need to go on a personal crusade against it. My personal time is limited and I use it to do things enjoyable to me.

When I volunteer, I do so in a more productive area with direct and positive impact. Spending my time putting people in jeopardy of jail, just isn't something I'm drawn to doing. It's bad Karma.

Why don't you go volunteer your time in a soul-sucking expedition of reporting people? You seem to enjoy being rude.

Me? I would prefer to spend my extra time doing things that I enjoy. Reporting welfare abusers is not one of them.

As an aside: I would rather work to get the corrupt people out of office so they manage tax money better and that's where I like to place my effort.

Last edited by Robinstyler; 02-07-2010 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 02-07-2010, 02:59 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,929 times
Quote:

I don't condone cheating, but I also don't have the need to go on a personal crusade against it. My personal time is limited and I use it to do things enjoyable to me.

When I volunteer, I do so in a more productive area with direct and positive impact. Spending my time putting people in jeopardy of jail, just isn't something I'm drawn to doing. It's bad Karma.

Why don't you go volunteer your time in a soul-sucking expedition of reporting people? You seem to enjoy being rude.

Me? I would prefer to spend my extra time doing things that I enjoy. Reporting welfare abusers is not one of them.

As an aside: I would rather work to get the corrupt people out of office so they manage tax money better and that's where I like to place my effort.
All I'm saying is... if you're going to say that you personally know of folks ripping off the system and you imply (not saying you did but many do) that social programs should be cut back or maybe even done away with... and not take any action made available by those programs to help reduce fraud, you're part of the problem. And, spreading these stories of fraud that you personally 'know' of isn't helping anything if you don't take advantage of these reporting tools.

I have to wonder if you consider those that don't advocate the end of some of these programs as corrupt?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:

You're whining about them here.
Yes, I'm saying that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
If you know someone cheating, it's your responsibility to report them or to quit whining.
If you have proof, yeah, it's your duty as a citizen to report the crime.
Pretty simple, isn't it.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
All I'm saying is... if you're going to say that you personally know of folks ripping off the system and you imply (not saying you did but many do) that social programs should be cut back or maybe even done away with... and not take any action made available by those programs to help reduce fraud, you're part of the problem. And, spreading these stories of fraud that you personally 'know' of isn't helping anything if you don't take advantage of these reporting tools.

I have to wonder if you consider those that don't advocate the end of some of these programs as corrupt?
I hold a mixed opinion on the Safety Net programs. The reason is, is that I have a huge "question mark" on how it can be fixed from this point.

Though I despise Big Government, I wouldn't want them done away with just because I know many that used the system to get out of abusive situations as well as some that have unmanageable health conditions that keep them from a traditional job.

There are many ideas that I ponder on how it can be done differently, but to no avail.

In my opinion, the system as it is needs to somehow be reconstructed since much of the money going toward the programs wind up not getting to the recipients and the social workers needed to run a "tight ship"

I blame the money-hungry system of bureaucracy for its failures. The people that steal services are a product of a poorly run system, they are not the blame.

I believe there to be a solution out there, it just hasn't presented itself.

This is my opinion, of course.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You're whining about them here.
Yes, I'm saying that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
If you know someone cheating, it's your responsibility to report them or to quit whining.
If you have proof, yeah, it's your duty as a citizen to report the crime.
Pretty simple, isn't it.
No. It isn't simple. See my post above for a deeper explanation of why I don't think it will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies